Exercises with Resistance Bands and Dumbells.

Options
sunflower6565
sunflower6565 Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Just joined today, and I have a lot of weight to lose (in excess of 15 stones). I can only do seated exercises at present with resistance bands and 4 kg dumbells, as I have very painful knees, and cannot bear any weight on my left knee at the moment, and I have limited mobility at present.

How can I log these exercises to my exercise diary log, as I cannot see them listed in the exercise section.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Under cardiovascular use the general category strength training. Calorie burns are estimates. For something like seated cardio (check out youtube) use the category low impact aerobics.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do exercises on the ground or would it then be an issue for you to get up again?

Clams, side leg lifts, and glute bridges would be good to do as far as helping to strengthen your knee and add stability - but it depends on *why you can't bear weight on your knee currently.

You can use your resistance band around your knee (just above the knee) to help keep your momentum pushing outwards while you're doing bridges.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi, sunflower, welcome to the forums.
    I just wanted to drop this link here for you to consider - it's a special GROUP here on Myfitnesspal for people with a lot of weight to lose. There is good info to read and over 900 members who can relate to where you are. You may want to take a peek.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,151 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do exercises on the ground or would it then be an issue for you to get up again?

Clams, side leg lifts, and glute bridges would be good to do as far as helping to strengthen your knee and add stability - but it depends on *why you can't bear weight on your knee currently.

You can use your resistance band around your knee (just above the knee) to help keep your momentum pushing outwards while you're doing bridges.

Speaking as an oldie (66 tomorrow), with some issues (most of them so far, fortunately, temporary): If unable to do certain ground exercises on the actual floor, *some* (that don't involve excessive instability) can be done on a weight bench, super-sturdy coffee table, firm mattress or couch, etc. Prone exercises are usually done on the floor, but many (not all) don't *need* to be done on the floor.

P.S. If getting up from the floor is possible, without unreasonable injury risk, then practice/repetition can be a good thing. Take your time getting up, notice the skills/capabilities that are a challenge, work on them if possible.