Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ratfancy wrote: »
    I picked up this old thread because I'm once again trying Alli. Here's my thought: I do a mostly low-carb diet, but I'm addicted to nuts and tend to overeat. So when I do, I'll take a capsule. Nuts keep me full and on track with controlling my daily calories. And I tend to get into them at night. So I'm using Alli so that I can eat more nuts and fewer carbs. At my age, I want to stay off the pre-diabetic list, and lose up to 5 lbs. My BMI is 29, so I'm right at the cutoff where Alli is not likely to be helpful. I'll give it a try - got a cheap unopened bottle on Ebay, so I won't be out much. And I have experience with this drug, so I can avoid the worst side effects by using myfitnesspal to track grams of fat.
    You do realize that nuts have carbs? The reality is IF you're overeating in calories, that's WHY you're not losing fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I know this is a bump of an eight year old thread, but someone fill me in here (?)

Doesn't Alli have some kind of thing to react with fat? Nuts are super high fat, so why would Ratfancy take one when she's eating a lot of nuts? Do I just need more coffee or do I misunderstand this whole thing?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ratfancy wrote: »
    I picked up this old thread because I'm once again trying Alli. Here's my thought: I do a mostly low-carb diet, but I'm addicted to nuts and tend to overeat. So when I do, I'll take a capsule. Nuts keep me full and on track with controlling my daily calories. And I tend to get into them at night. So I'm using Alli so that I can eat more nuts and fewer carbs. At my age, I want to stay off the pre-diabetic list, and lose up to 5 lbs. My BMI is 29, so I'm right at the cutoff where Alli is not likely to be helpful. I'll give it a try - got a cheap unopened bottle on Ebay, so I won't be out much. And I have experience with this drug, so I can avoid the worst side effects by using myfitnesspal to track grams of fat.
    You do realize that nuts have carbs? The reality is IF you're overeating in calories, that's WHY you're not losing fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I know this is a bump of an eight year old thread, but someone fill me in here (?)

Doesn't Alli have some kind of thing to react with fat? Nuts are super high fat, so why would Ratfancy take one when she's eating a lot of nuts? Do I just need more coffee or do I misunderstand this whole thing?

Because she likes nuts, so she's probably hoping alli will make her poop out most the fat from the nuts, thus allowing her to eat them for fewer calories.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I tried long ago. I had something like yours situation 5'5'' and 125lb ,my goal was to lose 6-7 lb. I used that Alli pills and had no results at all. Stool had not changed at all, stomach did not accumulate gases. So I did not understand what was this meds about.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    I tried long ago. I had something like yours situation 5'5'' and 125lb ,my goal was to lose 6-7 lb. I used that Alli pills and had no results at all. Stool had not changed at all, stomach did not accumulate gases. So I did not understand what was this meds about.

The drug prevents your body from absorbing of fat. But if you eat a low fat diet, then the drug is a complete waste of money as it does nothing for you.

But if you tend to eat a fatty diet, the constant fear of oily discharge should force you to eat less fat.

Good lessons for sustainable weight loss...... :s