active participation :]

Options
So I'm trying this again. I used to have an account on here that I used for maybe a month or so and for whatever reason I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. I guess I was stressed out by work and family and drama. It's hard for me to admit to myself that I have a weight problem which is one of the reasons I didn't immerse myself fully in this site. I'm a fairly private person when it comes to these issues but I've realized that I need support and motivation outside of myself. So here I am, ready to divulge all the details somewhat anonymously so you can all get to know the real me. I hope I can make some great new friends!

If you've read this far and feel like we could have a mutual understanding, please message me, add me as a friend, reply, whatever! It's always reassuring to know someone out there gets you.

Current weight: 170-175 (will do official weight in the morning)
First weight goal: lose 10 pounds by November

More about me:
I love to dance; I've tried various styles (jazz, tap, hiphop, etc.) and they're all fun but I'm mostly into polynesian now. My strength and endurance goals mostly correspond to that. I'm not much of a runner (bad joints) but I hop on the elliptical for my regular cardio. Basketball's my favorite sport, not very good but its still fun to get out there and spend a few hours even if you're just sprinting back and forth. I love swimming, both recreationally or doing laps. I enjoy biking/rollerblading/walking whenever feasible. Overall, I think I can be pretty active if I tried a little harder to get things together.

Eating habits are going to be a little harder to overcome. My family cooks amazing and often rich food. My friends love to go out to eat. Food has definitely become a solution for boredom. I've often wondered if I have an oral fixation and at times I'm pretty convinced I do. I guess I'll just have to practice a little more restraint. Thankfully I don't have too much of a sweet tooth and a slight lactose intolerance steers me away from ice cream at the very least.

I put in a full work week with fairly long commutes before and after. I'm also going to start studying for a big test coming up in April. I noticed that when I was a full-time student I never learned to balance school with an active lifestyle so getting in gym time needs to become a routine priority. I'm young and smart, I know I should be able to get through this. I just need some help staying accountable and emotional support. Thanks for listening :]

Replies

• bobdawg65
    bobdawg65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Hopefully this site with the help and encouragement of your fellow travelers will help you with your goals. I'm sending a friend request now. Many folks here are glad to do what we can to encourage and push each other.
  • abegail120
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from. I work and am applying to go back to school. That doesn't leave a lot of time for an active lifestyle. I lost 50lbs in high school and have for the most part kept it off. Lately, I noticed that I had been gaining weight. I hate all of my hard work going down the drain. Unlike you, I have a horrible sweet tooth. I also use food as an emotional bandage. I want to yell at my boss I get a cookie, my boyfriend acts like a jerk margaritta's with the girls...I think you get the picture. I just wanted to let you know that you are most certainly not alone.

So, here are my goals...
    Current weight: 135
    Goal: 120
    My baby goal is 10lbs by Christmas. It will be a sweet present to myself.

Good luck, and don't be a stranger.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to set some goals around behaviour & habits, not just weight loss.

May I make some suggestions?

1) The site will put up an alert every 5 days that you have logged in such as "Missladyfit has logged in for 45 days", which means you haven't missed a day. Start with something simple like "30 days", and then as you achieve each one, set a new goal "50 days" 75 days.

2) Sometimes life just gets in the way, and it can make us feel like failures when it's really just a setback. Try setting an exercise goal such as: " I will work out 5x by September 30th. " or " I will work out for 150 minutes by September 30th." or "I'll burn off XXX calories in exercise each week." That way if you get down to the very last day, well, it's time for a really long walk, but it's still Do-able.

3) As for food, things like "I'll keep my carbs under xxx amount" or give yourself a net calorie goal.

THESE are things you can control. Whether or not your body cooperates with weight loss, well, that's your body's responsibility. Focus your goals on what YOU can do, and adjust accordingly if it's not working.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome back!
    Its great to see what you're all about and what your motivations are in such detail. I understand what a stressful time at work and long commutes are like, feels like you never have any time in the week just for you to sit and relax!
    There are lots of people in here who will support and encourage you - I'll be one! Sending a friend request now....
  • missladyfit
    missladyfit Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding! I was afraid I scared you all off with a TLDR (too long, didn't read) post haha. I'm just happy I can find the support I need here.