Need helpful tips for motivation

Options
GarryA1987
GarryA1987 Posts: 31 Member
edited November 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I am coming up to 80 days of clean eating and exercise. I feel like this is my 3 month marker where I always fail, and its about to happen again!

I have lost all motivation to go to the gym and prepare food which is becoming my downfall. Once this bad habit starts, I will be back up to my starting weight in no time. I have hit a 17lb loss and fear I am going to lose it (well put it back on!).

What do you do to stay motivated in your darker times? I want to break my chain of yo-yo dieting by making it a lifestyle choice.

Replies

• legblonde355
    legblonde355 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The only tip I have is look at how far youve come! You don’t wanna go back. I also read a quote that says you won’t always be motivated you have to be disciplined, which I think is very true.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Oh these are such fabulous replies!!!!!!

I can’t add anything except that “clean eating” equates with punishment in my lexicon.

I figure at this point, anything I eat is eons better than what I used to eat.

And I LOVE @snowflake954 ’s suggestion to “fill in” with foods you like. That’s exactly what I do!
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    GarryA1987 wrote: »
    I am coming up to 80 days of clean eating and exercise. I feel like this is my 3 month marker where I always fail, and its about to happen again!

I have lost all motivation to go to the gym and prepare food which is becoming my downfall. Once this bad habit starts, I will be back up to my starting weight in no time. I have hit a 17lb loss and fear I am going to lose it (well put it back on!).

What do you do to stay motivated in your darker times? I want to break my chain of yo-yo dieting by making it a lifestyle choice.

is clean eating really a lifestyle choice you want to make? if it something you find difficult to do, then probably not?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,977 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    80 days! Well done, you.
    Something else that can be helpful is - just give yourself a week of eating more and instead of calling it "giving up" - let's call it a Diet Break/Refeed, shall we? Oh, look, a thread about it!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
    It's hard for everyone to stay on plan long-term. If you've been at this 80 days and you've been eating at an aggressive deficit then it's to be expected. I also second the motion that you look at your calorie goals again. I saw your pictures, and it looked to me like you could/should be set at "Lose 1 pound per week" now based on your distance-to-go. How much weight do you still need to lose to be in a healthy BMI range?
    A week off (eating at your Maintenance calories, not having a free-for-all) will make you feel a lot better physically and mentally.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    17 lb in 80 days is pretty fast. Consider slowing down - redo the guided setup and aim to lose 1lb or even 0.5lb per week, and do that for a while.

Or opt to maintain your current weight for a bit, perhaps a month or two to get through the holidays. Maybe three, if you know your weak point is about the 12-week mark. Then, go back and reset your goal to lose 1lb per week come February or so. There's no law that says you HAVE to lose it all in one go. Maintaining your weight is the eventual goal, so there's no harm in practicing, right?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    Good answers above! I endorse the ideas about doing exercise you find fun; eating in ways that balance goals of calories, nutrition, tastiness, practicality, not some "purist" kind of thing. Well-rounded nutrition, most days, on average, is important for health.

"Eating clean" has so many definitions that I'm not even sure what you mean, but I've seen people who flag-waved about "clean eating" but didn't get adequate nutrients across the board, and people who got reasonable nutrition eating a fair fraction of quite highly processed foods. Balance matters.

Sooner or later, sustainability needs to be a consideration. If someone (like me) has a tendency to over-indulge and gain, then it doesn't make sense to treat weight loss entirely as a project with an end date, after which things "go back to normal". That's the recipe for yo-yo-ing.

Weight management, for me, is going to be a lifelong endeavor, if I want to stay at a healthy weight. Also, motivation - to say the least - is not my long suit. To me, that implies that somewhere during weight loss, one ought to experiment, find habits that are easy to sustain long term, and that will not only get one to a healthy weight, but keep one there. The whole of weight loss needn't be framed that way, but if it doesn't happen somewhere during loss, maintenance will be harder, less assured.

Personally, when I was losing, I had a rule that I wasn't going to do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing to continue long term in order to stay at a healthy weight permanently, except for a sensibly moderate calorie deficit. Other than a few failed experiments (things I thought would be sustainable, turned out not to be 😆), that worked pretty well. When I got to goal weight, I added back a few calories daily to stop losing, but didn't need to make any other changes in eating/activity. That was over 6 years ago, and I'm still at a healthy weight, after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity, so I'm feeling pretty good about how that strategy worked for me. YMMV, of course, because we're all individuals.

Best wishes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What is "clean eating" to you? Often this is overly restrictive and a very myopic view of overall nutrition. Not something that is typically sustainable long term. What do you do at the gym? Do you need to go to the gym to exercise? Do you like the gym? I go to the gym twice per week to lift and that's pretty much it unless I go in for a spin class or yoga class. The gym is not my favorite place in the world to be and most of my exercise is done outdoors, road cycling and mountain biking and walking and occasionally hiking. I enjoy it as it is largely active recreation rather than a "workout". Ultimately you need to make things sustainable.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for checking in. Best of luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,977 Member
    Options
    Well if you've been at that low carb thing from the start, it's common to drop a lot of weight in the beginning and then it slows way down. Carbs will normally account for a big amount of water retention. If you go back to your "regular" diet this next week, expect a big tick UP on the scale if you're adding back carbs in quantity.

The other thing is that plateaus happen. Lack of sleep is definitely a factor! Enjoy your week off, come back with renewed focus and I hope Mini Garry feels better quickly.
  • GarryA1987
    GarryA1987 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well if you've been at that low carb thing from the start, it's common to drop a lot of weight in the beginning and then it slows way down. Carbs will normally account for a big amount of water retention. If you go back to your "regular" diet this next week, expect a big tick UP on the scale if you're adding back carbs in quantity.

The other thing is that plateaus happen. Lack of sleep is definitely a factor! Enjoy your week off, come back with renewed focus and I hope Mini Garry feels better quickly.

My tolerance to carbs is quite low, so a lower carb diet works for me. I have tried keto in the past but its not sustainable. I tend to eat more carbs the night before my weight sessions to fuel it. I watch the scale fluctuate as I increase carbs, but as long as I am in a deficit, the scales do move down. I am not worried about the scale, I am more invested in my mental health and wellbeing.

I will probably do 70/30 this week and enjoy some different foods but remain at a deficit. Little Garry is on the mend and next week I will continue to smash it 💪
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    GarryA1987 wrote: »

My tolerance to carbs is quite low, so a lower carb diet works for me. I have tried keto in the past but its not sustainable. I tend to eat more carbs the night before my weight sessions to fuel it. I watch the scale fluctuate as I increase carbs, but as long as I am in a deficit, the scales do move down. I am not worried about the scale, I am more invested in my mental health and wellbeing.

I will probably do 70/30 this week and enjoy some different foods but remain at a deficit. Little Garry is on the mend and next week I will continue to smash it 💪

Good luck!