Your breakfast; inspire me

Options
13»

Replies

• jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    try putting cooked pumpkin (from a can), stevia and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice in with the the steel cut oats. I make this because it reminds me of pumpkin pie :)

I also spend 1 night a week cutting up fruits and veggies and storing them in containers in the fridge, then I can use them to make veggie omlets, fruit salad, smoothies or mix the fruit in with my greek yogurt without having to spend too much time in the morning.

My favorite mixes are : Strawberries, cherries (pitted), blueberries, peaches(especially this time of year) and melon.

For veggies: Peppers, spinach, tomato and mushroom ( can also be used in fajitas, salad or other things for dinner)

LOVE this idea of the canned pumpkin in the oats! WOO! I'm going to try that this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
  • kessiegirl
    kessiegirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    toast my fav whole wheat bread/rye bread.. scramble 2 egg whites seasoned with cummin or chilli pepper.. couple of spinach leaves, eggs whites, 2 tsps of salsa and 1 slice of deli meat, turkey! only about 250 calories.. mmmm
  • mangojelly
    mangojelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big batch of muesli using unsweeted vanilla almond milk (it's only 40 calories per cup and so creamy and yummy) as the liquid.
    One of the rectangle boxes of almond milk has 4 cups and the basic recipe is equal parts rolled oats to a liquid (juice, milk, water, etc.) so for mybasic big batch....

4 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    4 cups rolled oats
    Cinnamon (to taste, I usually do about 8 shakes from my cinnamon container)
    raisins (to taste, I usually add a small handful of regular and a small handful of white)

Just mix these together in a bowl and cover tightly with saran wrap. In the morning it is ready to personalize, I have 5 kids and a hungry husband and everyone likes to add their own flair. Stays good in the fridge for a couple of days.
    For example:
    1- fresh chopped apple, a packet of truvia sweetener, and a dollop of creamy vanilla yogurt.
    2- eat as is
    3- warm up a serving in the microwave for 90 seconds and top with brown sugar or maple syrup
    4- add fresh banana and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter
    5- chopped walnuts, fresh blueberries, and a dollop of yogurt.
    6- Use unsweetend plain almond milk, and leave out the cinnamon & raisins in the overnight soak and you could make it savory with veggies & cheese
  • Puriphai
    Options
    So my favorite super healthy breakfast is frozen fruit ( any kind although acai berries are recommended for their super powers as food ) Blended with coconut milk, and topped with Granola, ( homemade is the best and is super easy) and Bananas with Honey Drizzled on top...add any other nuts and fruits as you wish! SOooooo Yummy! Super Healthy and Dairy Free!.
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    1/2 cup of egg whites from the carton, salsa, morning star crumbles, sometimes cheese or onions. if no cheese then i will smother the toast with laughing cow cheese. 1 piece of wheat toast. banana or apple.
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    Banana Smoothie:

1 Cup low fat milk
    25g untoasted muesli
    1 small - medium banana
    1 pinch of cinammon
    Blend!

or

Strawberry Bruschetta

2 slices of toast
    40g ricotta
    3/4 cup of strawberries
    cocoa

Toast the bread, spread with ricotta and place sliced straberries on top. Dust with cocoa powder :)
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A couple of days this week, I enjoyed a Persian herb frittata. Made with 3 eggs, it comes to about 362 calories (but you could make it with just two).

Recipe: chop half a large bunch of dill, half a large bunch of coriander, half a bunch of shallots (green ends and all), half a large bunch of parsley and 0.25 head of lettuce (or an equivalent volume of whatever other greens you have around - I used baby spinach one day and bok choy the other). Dampen a little and wilt in a non-stick pan (i.e. stir-fry for about 1 minute). Remove from pan and allow to cool. (Before wilting, it looks like a huge volume, but don't worry - it shrinks).

Beat 2-3 eggs until fluffy. Beat in 1 tbsp plain flour and 1 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda). Fold in in 1 tbsp chopped walnuts, 1 tbsp barberries and the greens.

Spray the bottom of a non-stick pan with oil. Pour in the egg mix and flatten with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Put the lid on the pot and leave on medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a plate.

Really filling and yummy, and full of vitamins, too! And pretty quick and easy.
  • Ballard12
    Options
    egg beaters, minced ham scramble, whole wheat english muffin with p-butter and a banana or apple.
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1 hard boiled egg, 2 cups skim or soy milk. 260 cals, 25 g carb, 25 g protein. Keeps me full for 4-5 hours.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I have the same breakfast almost every day. It's...unique. 1/2 cup oatmeal (cooked with water) with 1 tbsp flaxseed and 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses. I add 1/4 cup almond or rice milk to thin it out a bit. I always have an orange on the side, too, and a cup of coffee, of course.
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    Some great brekkie ideas here, thanks. I struggle a bit because I can't cope with gluten, even the small amount you get in oats bloats me up chronically. I almost always have 2 rashers of bacon dry fried and an egg fried in the bacon juice (in a non-stick pan obviously). Or I'll have a piece of gluten free bread toasted with butter and jam. Being a working mum, mornings tend to be a bit frazzled so imaginative cooking is unlikely in my house at that time of day!!
    BTW - I've noticed everyone on here is obsessed with peanut butter, i detest the stuff and believe it to be the work of the devil! What is it with everyone liking that stuff?!?!?!?
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    I honestly hate oats so I improvise =D Still fits my calories...
    superproatmeal.jpg
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    wholegrain toast, baby spinach, thick slice tomato, poached egg, small amount shaved parmesan
    wholegrain toast, thin spread avocado, tomato slices, fresh cracked pepper
    morning glory muffin and a cup of tea on the run!
  • Ophelia75
    Ophelia75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have oats made with water. I add some stewed apple, natural greek yogurt, sultanas, sunflower seeds, pumpkins seeds and spirulina powder. I love it and it keep sme feeling full up for a long time.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Turkey Omlete 472Calories : 51g Protein : 33g Carbs : 13g Fat

Homeade - Egg White Omlet, 1 whole, 5 whites
    Sharp Cheddar Made With 2% Milk , 1.0 oz.
    Generic - Turkey Breast, 3 oz
    Pace Chunky Salsa - Salsa - Mild, 4 Tbsp
    Thomas' - Light Multigrain English Muffin, 1 muffin

All of my meals are made for high energy and stamina in the Gym.
    Protein for muscle growth and long term energy and stamina
    Complex Carbs for immediate and short term energy
    Fat, helping you manage your moods, stay on top of your mental game, fight fatigue, and even control your weight.
  • suz74
    suz74 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    my favourite simple breakfast is a small spoonful of Philadelphia (ones with grilled peppers or some other added flavour are best) mixed up with one or two eggs and microwave for a couple of minutes and serve on toast. So filling and very tasty!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    Peanut butter and oatmeal!!! You crazy Americans! And where I come from pumpkin is a vegetable! :)

I have my oatmeal with a few raisins, dried apple pieces and a bit of brown sugar (and a splash of low fat milk). Uncle Toby's makes handy sachets which I eat at work (with a coffee). I find it quite filling and satisfying.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Peanut butter and oatmeal!!! You crazy Americans! And where I come from pumpkin is a vegetable! :)

I have my oatmeal with a few raisins, dried apple pieces and a bit of brown sugar (and a splash of low fat milk). Uncle Toby's makes handy sachets which I eat at work (with a coffee). I find it quite filling and satisfying.

Technically anything that grows on a vine and have seed is considered a fruit, such as pumpkins and tomatoes.

Just my 2cents