Need Some Info On Balanced Diet For Weight Loss

Options
So quickly, male 5 feet 8 inches tall, 47 years old. Currently 234 pounds. Was at 260 pounds in 2016, did keto with great success and got down to 217 in less than 6 months. After a couple to 3 years of years on and off of keto, I finally realized I just could not stick to it. My wife was pretty much in the same boat. Now, she has gone and paid $2,000 to work with a nutritionist for 4 months. It seems like they are doing the 40-30-30 diet. I am thinking if I should go this way. Do you all have any other way of eating preferences as far as macros are concerned? Many say just stay off bread, sweets, pasta, and potatoes and the weight will come off. Looking to find that way of eating that I can stick with and reach my goal weight of 199 pounds. Many thanks to anyone that read this and has any suggestions.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Yeah, well, 40C 30F 30P is a good macro split for weight loss if you feel a need to pick one. I ate at about those levels during weight loss but I didn't engrave that in stone.
    I lost 80 pounds, from 220 to 140 (I'm female) many years ago and the one thing I'd say is to eat the foods you feel you want to continue to eat and just eat them in the portions that fit your calorie goal.

Breads, grains, and sweets were the easiest for me to cut back, and that's what I did. I didn't eliminate anything but I did limit my bread to two servings per day. I allowed one other grain serving per day OR potato. That was my only real rule, other than to make sure I was getting enough protein and 5-7 servings of fruit and/or vegetables.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    My personal thoughts... Calories matter for weight loss. Macros can matter for how satiated one feels, and that may take some trial and error to figure out the right balance for YOU. For example: I can eat raw veggies or fruit and 20 minutes later: feel like I didn't eat anything. But if I eat the apple slices or celery sticks (example) with a little bit of peanut butter or have an ounce of cheese along with the grapes, it is SO MUCH more filling. So for me, having a little protein & fat with my carbs I feel fuller longer.

The problem with restrictive diets: can you honestly see yourself not eating X for life? Most people are not successful at this. You can lose weight eating variety, as long as you budget for it.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The best diet for weight loss is the one you can stick to forever. Eventually, when you reach your goal, you can't just "go back" to eating "normally." Suppose you're aiming to lose about one pound per week right now (which is a sustainable rate for most people) - the difference between that and maintenance is about two slices of a medium two-topping pizza per day. It's not that much. You will probably have a better time, I think, learning to coexist with all the foods you like now, figuring out how to fit them into your budget. I'm doing this for myself by continuing to count calories - I've accepted that I cannot eat intuitively, so I'll need to use this app or a similar one, or keep a pen-and-paper food diary, or something of that nature forever, if I want to keep the fruits of my labor (i.e., my hot new bod). Maybe you can find a way of eating that satiates you with an appropriate quantity of calories for your body without having to explicitly keep track, but if you can't, that is also a valid way to be.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    I just started by logging what I was eating, then gradually tweaked that to improve the balance of nutrition, satiation, tastiness, and practicality within my calorie goal. In parallel, I was reading up on nutrition, and fine-tuning my ultimate goals. I figure that unless a person is starting with a diagnosed deficiency or diet-related health condition, it's fine to gradually remodel one's eating in a positive direction, working toward better habits on average. Humans are adaptive omnivores!

It's the calorie goal that has the direct effect on body fat levels.

Macros can affect weight management indirectly via satiation (cravings = harder to stick to proper calories) or energy level (fatigue = burn fewer calories in daily life). It takes time to lose any meaningful total amount of weight, so sustainability of one's methods is an important dimension. Hitting a reasonable calorie goal in a sustainable way is therefore the key thing, IMO. (Reasonable calorie goal, IMO, is one that keeps weight loss in the range of 0.5-1% of body weight weekly on average, with a bias toward the lower percent end unless severely obese or under close medical supervision for negative health consequences of aggressive dieting. )

Personally, I like setting macro goals in terms of grams rather than percentages. (I have quite a variable calorie intake because exercise varies seasonally, among other things.) When I was using free MFP, I calculated gram minimums for protein and fats (the "essential nutrients" in the sense that the body can't manufacture them out of other intake), set my pre-exercise percentages to come close to those numbers, ate to the gram goals, and let carbs fall wherever. (If my MFP totals turned some combination of red and green, I just pretended it was Christmas. ๐Ÿ˜‰) I have premium MFP now, and can set gram goals, plus tell it how to allocate exercise calories, which is nice (but not required).

For me, what made sense was a protein minimum of 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight (which is close enough to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for most people), and 0.35-0.45g fats per pound (women may need a little higher fats than men, IMU, and I'm female). Protein and fats are the "essential nutrients", in the sense that we need certain amounts in our eating, because our body can't manufacture protein or fats out of any other nutrient.

I'm maybe more structured about nutrition than some other MFP users (it's common for folks to just set a personal protein minimum, I think, but I'm the weirdo who'll come up short on fats if I don't pay attention). In addition to I the protein/fat goals, I think some other things matter, like getting a reasonable balance of fats (MUFA/PUFA/Sat fats, O-3/O-6 balance), and getting enough fiber/micros. I don't really track fiber/micros explicitly, but I do shoot for a minimum of 5 (80g) varied, colorful veggie/fruit servings daily, and prefer to get 10+ when I can, which tends to put fiber/micros in a good place. I also make it a point to eat probiotic foods daily, preferably multiple types. But that's just me. Not everyone does all that - far from it - and it's not all vital IMO, just my personal preferences.

I followed this general kind of process to tweak my eating gradually:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

FWIW, I've maintained a healthy weight for 6+ years now, after 30ish years of overweight/obesity before that. You've gotten advice from some other long-termers above, some of them maintaining longer than I.

Best wishes!
  • cfbfan41115
    cfbfan41115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I absolutely have no trouble eating a variety of things. I love brussel sprouts, beans, broccoli, etc. I am wondering do I need to stay away from saturated fat on the 40-30-30 diet? I know on keto it wasn't a big deal. Matter of fact it was encouraged. With my 5 ft 8 in height, age 47, and 234 pound weight, I will say it is all in my belly. I have pretty thin arms and legs. I have had many women say, "I wished I had your legs" lol. But seriously I wear a 36 waist jeans, and x large shirt. Belly fat is the main problem. I do get about 10,000 steps a day in the classroom teaching, walking around, helping, monitoring, etc. I do vacuum almost daily, prepare supper, take the dog out, wash the dishes, etc. With all this info, can someone please help me figure out the amount of calories a day I should be consuming. Thanks for all the help so far.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I absolutely have no trouble eating a variety of things. I love brussel sprouts, beans, broccoli, etc. I am wondering do I need to stay away from saturated fat on the 40-30-30 diet? I know on keto it wasn't a big deal. Matter of fact it was encouraged. With my 5 ft 8 in height, age 47, and 234 pound weight, I will say it is all in my belly. I have pretty thin arms and legs. I have had many women say, "I wished I had your legs" lol. But seriously I wear a 36 waist jeans, and x large shirt. Belly fat is the main problem. I do get about 10,000 steps a day in the classroom teaching, walking around, helping, monitoring, etc. I do vacuum almost daily, prepare supper, take the dog out, wash the dishes, etc. With all this info, can someone please help me figure out the amount of calories a day I should be consuming. Thanks for all the help so far.

Put your information into your MFP profile, and it will give you a calorie goal. Set your activity level based on daily life without exercise, then log exercise when you do it (or synch a fitness tracker), and eat those calories, too. With 10k steps plus home chores, you'd probably want the "active" setting, at least.

Follow those calories for at least 4-6 weeks, in order to see a valid average effect (water weight fluctuations can make things look weird in the shorter run, mislead). (If you were female of the right age, I'd tell you to track for enough weeks to compare bodyweight at the same relative point in at least two different monthly cycles).

Even after that, if the first couple of weeks look wildly different from what follows, ignore those and go on for another couple of weeks. Once you have enough experiential data, you can use it to fine-tune your calorie goal to *you*. (Calculators like MFP's just spit out statistical averages for similar people. Some of us are more average than others. ๐Ÿ˜‰)

If you want to do 40-30-30, then set your MFP macro goals to those percentages, and work toward eating accordingly. For most people, the MFP default goals aren't terrible, so it's also fine to just follow those for a while, before adjusting. Like I said, it's the calories that matter for fat loss . . . no matter where the fat sits on our body.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Yeah, what Ann said.

I'd add that for men it seems saturated fat is a bigger problem probably due to higher meat, eggs, and cheeses by preference (especially beef and pork which are high in sat fats.)
    Saturated fat in general is problematic for general health so yeah, try to stay in those limits on saturated fats. The other fats are not a bad thing. I'm over on my fats every day, it's just the way I like to eat. Lots of nuts, olive oil, etc. I do watch my saturated fats and stay in those limits on most days.

Like Ann said, weight comes on and comes off based on genetics and calories, not macros.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

To add to the answer about one of your points re cutting food types out: when I started, I stuck to foods that I ate previously- but served myself smaller portion sizes. At no point have I felt I was depriving myself, because I was (and still do) eat foods that I like.

I mostly cook in bulk anyway so, my pot of bolognese or curry or chilli or casserole might now be split into 7 containers rather than 6 etc etc. I only put 2 or 3 pieces of potato on my plate, rather than the equivalent of 2 or 3 large potatoes. I cook a weighed portion of pasta instead of a mugful plus a further handful, because that didn't look enough. Gradually I started doing more substitutions- I bulk out an even smaller portion of pasta with spiralised courgette, I use sauted cabbage as a base for many dishes instead of having rice or potatoes, I add lots of veg to my stirfry so that I don't need rice or noodles as well.

It's all trial and error but, as was said above, it's easier to stick to this way of eating if you're happy with what you're eating.