Male Butt Exercise

Options
Davidjohnson9333
Davidjohnson9333 Posts: 32 Member
edited November 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone have a “go to” butt exercise for men. I cant squat or deadlift due to a bad back. I’ve been able to find a good mix of exercises to adjust for this, but can’t find anything for the butt. I was caught watching a girl doing her butt workout yesterday! Wonder what she thought about this old man staring at her…

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Glute bridges and/or weighted hip thrusts provide more glute activation than squats or deadlifts
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Glute bridges and/or weighted hip thrusts provide more glute activation than squats or deadlifts

I agree about glute bridges, recently switched to single-leg with other leg in the air, or they can also be loaded with a dumbbell, etc. set on the lower abdomen. (I've also found bodyweight single-leg squats, in my case holding onto a doorframe for balance, provide a heck of a bun burn without taxing the back like weighted squats or deadlifts. "Bad back" can mean skeletal/connective issues - requiring surgery - or muscle weakness, the latter being curable with effort. Squatting and mobility work helped me resolve long-standing structural lower back muscular lockups, freeing up overall movement after years of off/on trouble, sometimes disabling - it's worth the effort if that's the problem.)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Before any suggestions we need more info. What is clinically wrong with your back and/or trauma did you suffer? What/who ruled out squats and deadlifts at appropriate intensity and volume for resistance training?

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'm a 45-year old female but just hear to second questioning the bad back and not being able to squat or deadlift. I have what I thought was a "bad back" that involves some bulging discs, disc degneration (which is normal), bone spurs and some spinal canal and neural foramen stenosis. Amazingly, I don't really have any signs of nerve involvement like sciatica, despite the MRI findings.

I squat and deadlift. I obviously am very careful, but by strengthening my glutes with other exercises as well as really making sure I brace my core correctly when doing these have really helped. That's not to say my back doesn't get sore afterwards--but the deadlift and hip thrusts do work the back a bit. I also don't feel it in low back back when performing them but glutes and hamstrings (and quads more so if squatting).

Actually, strengthening your glutes from ALL angles may really help your back. When I had PT the last time for it(I've gone through multiple rounds plus chiro), those are the exercises he focused on as well as something called the McKenzie method. I second the glute bridges and hip thrusts, as well as exercises that target your abductors like clamshells and cable or band abductions.

Have you seen a good PT for your back? If not, I think that would really help, especially if they are more versed in exercise/exercise rehab.
  • ptrckreeves777
    ptrckreeves777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had 2 prolapsed disks (L5-S1 at 50% compression and L4 with loss of sensation) so I could not weight train. I was able to cycle and walk (Barely), I did exercise twice a day and diet, I was like this for 2 years but I managed to firm up my body without GYM work just with cycling and walking and very limited stretching but for me the key was consistancy, I hope this helps
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m a big fan of weighted hip thrusts. If you feel awkward and stupid sprawled on the floor trying to balance a bar across your hips, I have found that the smith machine is actually useful for one thing - move a bench over to it and it’s great for hip thrusts.

Back extension while holding a plate to the chest also activates the posterior chain when done right but you have to have good form or it becomes a back exercise.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I had 2 prolapsed disks (L5-S1 at 50% compression and L4 with loss of sensation) so I could not weight train. I was able to cycle and walk (Barely), I did exercise twice a day and diet, I was like this for 2 years but I managed to firm up my body without GYM work just with cycling and walking and very limited stretching but for me the key was consistancy, I hope this helps

I see. Do you still have restrictions on all upright loaded movements or just squats and deadlifts? Meaning could I load you with lighter dumbbells? Or are you on just body weight restrictions?

Also have you talked to them at all about a hip belt squat that doesn't load the spinal column as a barbell squat or deadlift? Is a leg press cleared?
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    With that information, seems a lot of lifting moves will be too risky, everything should be within medical restrictions and eased into gradually. For years working at a college with no free weights I used cable machines for prone hamstring pulls and seated leg presses - much less taxing than barbell lifts and didn't bother my problem back at some fairly heavy load. You could test limits with some basic bodyweight:

https://www.healthline.com/health/hamstring-curls
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I think some folks have mistaken a commenter for the OP…
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    I had 2 prolapsed disks...

This is not the original poster, @Davidjohnson9333.

When I added weighted hip thrusts to my routine, my deadlift immediately went up a good fifty pounds due to having a stronger posterior chain. Since that still involves the core (and thus the back), you can also try adjusting foot position on the leg press (feet lower for quads, feet higher for hamstrings and glutes).
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I see. Do you still have restrictions on all upright loaded movements or just squats and deadlifts? Meaning could I load you with lighter dumbbells? Or are you on just body weight restrictions?

Also have you talked to them at all about a hip belt squat that doesn't load the spinal column as a barbell squat or deadlift? Is a leg press cleared?

Just as input... I have a simlar L5-S1 issue with the disc essentially trashed.....

With a narrow hip belt adjusted low intentionally.... it can be done. Makes it a bit awkward. With normal belts and adjustment it's riding right where the problem disc is really, and a 100% "don't go there heavy" type of pressure.

Though every back problem is unique to some extent, I can probably do conventional squats at higher weights without real risk. Any deadlift and the initial hard push is a danger zone to the injury area. Box squats with limiter cables are somewhat safe.

Leg press is ok within reason, just making sure to put more pressure on the hips and upper glutes vs lower back area.

Now if I listened to my doctors... I probably wouldn't ever pick much up. In my case I've eased back and avoided certain things for sure, but not all upper body loading has to be avoided. It's more a form thing... any break in the wrong area can be a really bad thing. Overall I'd say anything at all approaching much more than body weight loaded on the upper body would be asking for trouble.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I can recommend spinning (indoor cycling). When you get off the seat, you get a good glute workout. Spinning makes my lower back feel better FWIW. (I understand this is not true for everyone!)

Basic spin bikes are amazingly affordable and get the job done (I have one), and there are lots of in-person or online classes. Of course, you can go for Peloton or another of the smart trainers, which lots of people rave about. I've resisted, and just spin on the bike while watching a show (action movie with a car chase is best). I spin standing for 2 minutes and seated for 3 for the entire ride, adjusting the resistance manually to suit. I can easily max out my heart rate this way.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Can you lunge? Walking lunges or static lunges can target glutes.