Diabetes and starting at gym?

Options
Apart from making sure I have glucose tablets and water with me, is there anything I need to know? I am starting at the gym on Saturday. Very excited! :happy:

Replies

• ahunkofmexican
    Options
    Ya wash your hands during and after your workout is done. Many ways to get sick there. Never touch your face and nose and bring a towel to wipe the sweat up . Keep your keys close and do not bring anything you will miss if you leave it behind . Wear thick socks and bring own water do not drink from fountains. Avoid the refreshment bars they have alot of sugars and are a waste of money , and have fun .:drinker:
  • jfhaskell
    Options
    Try to take it easy the first few times that you go. Get a feel for the particular gym that you are going too because they all really have a pulse of thier own. If you don't like the first gym that you visit don't be afraid to try another one. Of course make sure your Dr. knows what you are planning and has signed off on your plan. Lastly, if you have not already done so, get a personal trainer who has experience working with diabetics. I am a personal trainer and I know there are a lot of trainers out there who know very little about the disease process and what to watch for and avoid. HAVE FUN!!!!!! If you don't enjoy it, it will be very hard to do it long term.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Check your BG before and after for a couple of weeks to get a feel for what exercises takes down your BG. I think that you will be good until your exercises grow more intense.

Take it easy and short in the beginning. This isn't a race. If you get too muscle sore it will dismotivate you. After 2 week turn it up more and more every week. This in my opinion is when you might want to check the BG. You know your body, judge it well.