Red meat

Options
I eat homemade burgers (93 or 96 if I can find it)1-2 times a week and fit it into my calorie budget. Will this impede my weight loss?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Why would it impede your weight-loss? It's just food. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight (looking at your weight trend, not taking into account short term weight fluctuations from changes in water weight and food waste in your system).
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories only.
    If it's within your calorie budget, you will lose weight, regardless of the types of foods you eat.
  • nolqn
    nolqn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like the members above me have said, as long as you're within your calorie budget then eat what you want! You'll loose weight no matter what :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options
    Only if you overcook them.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    NO... but Id say stick to your homemade burgers... Your accountable on it all so its only on you on what your burger is made with so you knowing its cals will be much easer plus likely you know its going to be worth the cals... :smile: enjoy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It's just ground beef. Weight management is about calories (energy) consumed vs calories (energy) required to maintain the status quo. When you consume fewer calories (energy) than your body requires, that deficiency has to be reconciled so you burn bodyfat (stored energy) to make up the difference. It has nothing to do with having a hamburger.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    It depends on the rest of your diet. I eat ONLY animal products.. fats, meat, fish, fowl, cheese, and eggs.

So I ate 25 ozs. of ground beef yesterday, with shredded cheddar on top for lunch & dinner ( split into 2 meals ).. and had 4 Jumbo eggs for breakfast with a 1/4 stick of butter. 2,964 calories.. and this morning, I was down 2 lbs.

I'm down 35 lbs. since mid-September.

The bun would be much more risky for me. I also don't consume condiments..

So i would say red meat is fine. I'm guessing that means in moderation on most diets.. doctors prefer fish and fowl over red meat. Plus, you probably are on a low calorie diet ( under 2000 ), so assuming all that.. as long as you stay below your upper caloric limit, in theory, you should lose weight.. doctors worry about effects of red meat on the body, not for weight loss..

1-2 times a week? In your calorie budget? Then the answer is NO.. it should not slow weight loss.

Whether your doctor is OK with burgers twice a week is another story, and the final story on weight loss is the scale, not public opinion. If you are losing, and eating burgers 1-2x a week, then it isn't a problem.

What diet you are on matters. I eat red meat 50% of the time. A lot of foods have bad reputations because of what they are eaten WITH.. so fries on the side would change this, right?

You are asking about the meat, when I would never eat bread.. so I hope this helps.. I tried to answer in the way I think an average diet would apply. I think you are OK. Enjoy the burgers as long as you are losing weight.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I really enjoy a burger. So I make then thin and do what is like a English "fry up." Put everything in the pan. Mushrooms, onions, peppers and pile them on the burger with no bun. Then I also will include in the pan some thin raw potato slices. Serve the whole thing with really good dill pickles. Easily kept under 350 calories.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If I had to eat 93 or 96% fat free hamburgers it would impede my will to live :) Don't be afraid of 'bad foods' and other nonsense. Stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Enjoy the meat (if one can enjoy dry discs of beef with no fat :p )
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    If I had to eat 93 or 96% fat free hamburgers it would impede my will to live :) Don't be afraid of 'bad foods' and other nonsense. Stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Enjoy the meat (if one can enjoy dry discs of beef with no fat :p )

Perhaps just cook them properly 😉 nothing dry about my favorite Hereford burgers at the local supermarket here, with less than 5 percent fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I can do 93% on the grill and they come out fine...granted I only cook to medium. I only use 96% for meat sauces or chilli or things like that. My sweet spot is 88% for burgers, but I can definitely make 93% work all the same.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I can do 93% on the grill and they come out fine...granted I only cook to medium. I only use 96% for meat sauces or chilli or things like that. My sweet spot is 88% for burgers, but I can definitely make 93% work all the same.

I typically get 85 for burgers. 80 Causes flare-ups and I have no luck with anything higher (too dry).