Anyone else with under 20lb left to lose?

Options
Hi!

I'm a 25 year old woman, 5'10, SW was 173lb, CW is 159lb, GW is 145lb.

I lose weight slowly, because I tend to get obsessive. I know right now I'm a healthy weight, but I felt much better when I was 145lb (last summer - then we went back into winter lockdown and I got depressed and ate far too much and drank too much).

But I find because I 'only' have a stone left to lose, it's harder, and it's slower. I'm tall and I do a fair amount of exercise (I eat back half my exercise calories) so I need at least 1800 calories or I get dizzy and pass out. I've also got low blood pressure and low heart rate, which doesn't help the dizziness.

I'm going to aim to stick to losing 1lb a week, which is fine. When I was a teenager I'd lose 4lb-6lb a week (started at 143lb, so I didn't need to lose fast at all), but I'm trying to forgive myself for having regained a stone. :(

Apart from sticking to my calorie goals, does anyone have any tips? Last time I was 145lb (aiming for 140lb), I kept rewarding myself... with food.

Replies

• chubby_gazelle
    chubby_gazelle Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm a little shorter than you 5'7 but we have, if you take into account the difference in height, similar stats. SW 157lbs (high end of "normal" BMI) CW = 137lbs, GW= 128lbs. I also had a bit of a lockdown food fest and was hauling around a lot of extra poundage at the beginning of summer. I lost the first 20lbs at between 4-6lbs per month. I found it really helpful to weigh only once per month as if loss is around the 1lb/week or less weighing every week can be a bit demotivating. The start of my 20lb loss was bumpy as held my calories too low and went for a "low carb" approach. I now favour upping exercise as my fitness levels increase rather than decreasing calories. I have also adopted a "fun fitness" approach, mingling fitness into my social life such as hiking, climbing or cycling with friends so it feels like a reward to get out, have fun and enjoy life rather than something I do just to loose weight. At my current approach and rate of loss am hungry before meals but it doesn't dominate my life :)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I have a little less than 10 pounds t go to goal- however I am taking it slow this time- I have been here before-- but I usually will start to make excuses or in some way screw up-- this time- I am taking it slow and easy-- eating the right amount and also exercising when its possible and most of all--- trying to be realistic during the holidays.......
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm older (47) and shorter (5'7") than you, but weights are exactly the same! SW was 173lb, CW is 159lb, GW is 145lb. (weird coincidence!)

Anyhoo, since I don't have that much to lose, I took Ann's advice and am going at it very slowly. I'm on the lose -0.5lbs./week plan. It's VERY slow, and while my CW is 159 today, it will fluctuate a bit (+/- 1 to 2 pounds). At such a slow loss rate, it is difficult to see progress sometimes, but a weight trending app and a little patience go a long way. On days that I feel frustrated, I remind myself that I am eating below maintenance calories for my current weight, so I WILL lose weight eventually. Patience, patience, patience. I figure that I've been overweight for years, so what's a few more months? The point for me is more about sustainable life changes so that I'm not back here losing these same 20-30 pounds again. And again. And again.

So, I guess that's my tip... just be patient. It will happen. Again, to echo Ann (because her advice is always fabulous): focus on sustainable behaviors more than the weight loss. Again, it will happen.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am in this same boat where I am trying to lose 5-10 more pounds. I am 43, 5'3" and my weight fluctuates between 132 and 135 currently. I would love to get below 135 and would love love to see how I look at 125. I have maintained my current weight for the past almost 2 years (with a slight spike when i started weight lifting) and I am just wondering if I need to tweak my macros? I am spot on with exercise but my nutrition at times is tough. There is something mental for me it feels like. Being so close but not attaining my goal? Binging... but some people suggest I may really be hungry. I am starting today to implement some new strategies to avoid the binging in the evening. I never used to do this....I got this! We all got this!