• seashell5
    Options
    so how do i calculate my body fat %

thanks for all ya help peep's

;-)
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    A lb of anything weighs a lb - be it lead, fat, muscle or sofa pillows. A lb of muscle takes up less space(volume) than a lb of fat - just as a lb of lead takes up less space than a lb of sofa pillows.

So - you could, in theory train like a demon, not loose any weight, put on muscle at the same rate as loosing fat, and weigh the same, but be a size smaller in your clothing...

So why do "people" often say that muscle weighs more than fat? What is the idea behind that. Does fat somehow convert differently when turned into muscle?
  • PBJunkie
    Options

;-)

There is numerous ways of calculating it, some is by measurements with a formula which is a ballpark figure so not entirely accurate and the other way is by using calipers. If you have money to spend and you want to be dead accurate there is a method (Cant recall the name) where they float you in the water...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    A lb of anything weighs a lb - be it lead, fat, muscle or sofa pillows. A lb of muscle takes up less space(volume) than a lb of fat - just as a lb of lead takes up less space than a lb of sofa pillows.

So - you could, in theory train like a demon, not loose any weight, put on muscle at the same rate as loosing fat, and weigh the same, but be a size smaller in your clothing...

So why do "people" often say that muscle weighs more than fat? What is the idea behind that. Does fat somehow convert differently when turned into muscle?

Muscle weighs more than fat in the sense that a cubic inch of muscle weighs around 3 times as much as a cubic inch of fat. It would be more accurate to say muscle is more dense than fat.
  • PBJunkie
    Options

Take note that a bucket of muscle will weigh more than a bucket of fat...

That is why a fat person can weigh as much as a muscular person or less...yet they look different
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

;-)

There are scales available that you can buy for home pretty inexpensively that measure body fat. There are little metal pads that you stand on and it sends a small current through your body (don't worry, it's not dangerous) and because electricity travels at a different rate through fat than it does muscle, it can give you a ballpark figure of your body fat %. It's not as accurate as calipers or going to a doctor to have it checked but it will give you a decent estimate.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    you NEED to do high intesnsity exercise like running.

Beg to differ on this point.. I don't run, never have and never will. I walk on the treadmill though at an incline, at a pretty brisk pace and I'm starting to get a six pack.. so no, she does NOT need to run.. she can do other cardio, and still get the same affect.

To OP:
    A good clean diet, combined with some cardio and some weights will make the abs show.. but it takes hard work!
  • jem728
    Options
    bump
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    6 pack abs are more about diet than anything else. You need to get your body fat down to a ridiculously low level to see them. Although impressive, I don't think a woman needs a 6 pack to look sexy.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options

Er, offhand, because "people" aren't educated properly.....
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    LOVE nf! Thanks for sharing the site
  • Renee2GetFit
    Renee2GetFit Posts: 162 Member
    Options

wow thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it!!

That was an amazing story, thanks for sharing.
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    I think it's possible for any woman! It's the commitment and dedication to the lifestyle of exercise and clean eating. While exercising lift heavy to build muscle and burn extra calories. While eating clean, do it 100% and eat enough to fuel the body for how active you are. It takes time, so patience helps with the process as well :) BUT it's possible!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this! what an eye opener :D Reminds me to stop focusing on the number on the scale and instead of how I feel!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read back. But I want to thank all of you for posting. Some great suggestions that I am definitely going to look into implementing :)