My Back and Bicep Day is Too Long…

Options
Davidjohnson9333
Davidjohnson9333 Posts: 32 Member
edited November 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
I do this once a week as part of a recomp. Also have a chest Tri day and a legs shoulder day. I do aerobics and/or basketball 2 days a week as well. 45yo male, 215lbs at 20% body fat.

Should I cut something from the below workout? It takes 1.5 hours…

The last is a one arm dumbbell row and the pull-ups are -60lb assisted.

Thanks!

ja1vtc81yu4r.png

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    The back extensions are the first thing I'd cut.
    You're already hitting your erector spinae with the deadlifts and rows (not to mention likely during your leg workout, as well).
  • Davidjohnson9333
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The back extensions are the first thing I'd cut.
    You're already hitting your erector spinae with the deadlifts and rows (not to mention likely during your leg workout, as well).

Thanks! I have to go light on deadlifts due to a back problem. I deadlift 400, but cut it to 255 with lots of reps. Put back extensions in so I could go heavy with the machine. Would you still cut them knowing this?
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I think 3 rowing movements may be a bit too much. The T bar row is a great exercise but the seated row doesn't serve any purpose here considering you can work one side at a time with the one arm dumbbell row.

Seated rows can go. Also is the db curl standing, one arm at a time or simultaneously?
  • Davidjohnson9333
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    Also is the db curl standing, one arm at a time or simultaneously?

Simultaneously.
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Seams like a large work load :) !! I do 16 sets per body part, for example, however I superset the minor opposite muscle to speed up. ie bench press, bicep curls, 1.5 minute rest, repeat…really speeds things up, and gets my heart rate higher.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,536 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    To save time, I would lose the bent over one armed rows. That's 6 sets saved.

8 isolation sets after an already full workout sounds like a lot. What I do is one day I'll do EZ-bar curls and maybe also one armed preachers on my bench, and another day I'll do super-sets of seated incline db curls alternating with hammer/robot, and then spider.

Is the seated row close grip? Just a suggestion, since that's similar to the T-bar row you've already done, have you thought about the barbell or Pendlay row?
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    That’s a ton of volume and exercises. Are you an advanced lifter?
  • Davidjohnson9333
    Options
    That’s a ton of volume and exercises. Are you an advanced lifter?

No. Intermediate. But I’m trying not to lift heavy because it hurts my bad and I’m older…
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Do one pulldown/pullup movement, 2 row movements and that's it. If you hit it hard that's all you need.

I only train back once a week but hit it hard. No longer trying to gain though since I'm 58.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I’m currently training back once a week

2 vertical pulls
    2 horizontal pulls
    Curls