What socioeconomic class do your food choices resemble?

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,590 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Sooooo you're low rent if you like mac & cheese, but throw some lobster on that baby and you're both hoity AND toity! :D

Taking the whole thing with several grains of organically sourced hand-packaged sea salt. ;)

I was on the fence about the lobster mac & cheese. Mac & cheese? Hell yeah! But I don't think I've ever had lobster so not sure I'd like it and I kinda can hear them squealing when put in hot water from some show or something I saw? :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Middle class. Probably because I don't eat any fish or bivalves.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Rhumax67 wrote: »
    There's a socioeconomic class for food choices?

try shopping for a week on $20 for a family of 3 and with $200 for a family of 3 and see what options are there....especially as far as variety and range of foods go (you can certainly eat healthy on a limited budget. We did.)

been both places....

But that's a WHOLE other discussion.

I agree completely with your point, but doesn't the quiz ask what you would LIKE to eat vs. what you ACTUALLY eat? It's conceivable that I could be living on hot dogs dreaming of lobster. It told me my preferences couldn't be put in a category because I scored about equally in all categories, but it didn't ask about one food group I eat the most - legumes. I wonder if they are low class because they're cheap or if all classes eat legumes so it isn't a good quiz q.

i dont recall but i answered based on what i would LIKE.

after all, if i actually EAT mac and cheese with lobster, I'll stop breathing (severe allergy to shellfish) lol

but i remember how much i LOVED lobster, and im pretty sure i would be totally down with that..... if i could eat it. LOL
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    Middle, lower, lower middle.

Not ashamed I like mac n cheese, chicken nuggets and burgers. Lol
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Interesting that in the 19th century, lobster was fed to slaves and prisoners because it was cheap and abundant.

I suppose they didn’t get the little bowl of drawn butter with it, though.
    My experience working as a waitress at Red Lobster in the 80’s was that poor people LOVE them some lobster. Anyone who ordered the lobster (most expensive thing on the menu) you knew they just spent their whole paycheck and you weren’t getting tipped. An actual wealthy person on the other hand would assume a chain restaurant wouldn’t do a good job on fancy menu items and order something basic.

Ha…when I was in high school, my boyfriend and I were mostly broke. For a special date, we would go to Red Lobster and order the popcorn shrimp (cheapest thing on the menu). We’d always tip, though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Lower class, but that's mainly because I dislike meat and seafood. The more meat-like something is, the more I dislike it. It has to be processed to all hell or smothered to the point where the taste doesn't stand out for me to even attempt to eat it. The higher the class the higher the quality of the meat and the more meat-like it tastes so I strongly disagreed with higher quality meat but was slightly more open to lower quality. Most dishes had some sort of meat, so I didn't have many choices. I did strongly agree to all sweets, though, including the fancy sweets and edible gold ice cream and I agreed to some dishes I eat modified (it's not beef stew if you don't eat the meat now, is it).
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Firmly middle class apparently. I found quite a few of the "menu" items unappetising. Fish fingers (meh); sloppy joes (ick); lobster? eh give me prawns instead or a nice grilled barramundi. Lobster *in* mac'n'cheese? WTF lol
    Would have been nice to see a wider variety of food types - are croissants upper/middle/lower? What about cous cous?
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hahaha survey result: "Your food choices could not be tied to any one social class." I'd probably differentiate shopping (whole foods omnivore simplicity) from eating out, which tends to be less often but more upscale than most. Survey choices mooshed those contexts.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I got upper class for my love of sushi and rare meat. 😂
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Sooooo you're low rent if you like mac & cheese, but throw some lobster on that baby and you're both hoity AND toity! :D

Taking the whole thing with several grains of organically sourced hand-packaged sea salt. ;)

I was on the fence about the lobster mac & cheese. Mac & cheese? Hell yeah! But I don't think I've ever had lobster so not sure I'd like it and I kinda can hear them squealing when put in hot water from some show or something I saw? :)

I find lobster overrated, but also don't really like mac & cheese so vetoed all of those. Like I don't hate it if it's well made, but I generally wouldn't choose to eat it over some other option. (I don't hate lobster, but I'd choose pretty much any other shellfish.)
  • cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Lower class. Yup that's about right! I don't really eat 'fancy' foods and seafood is not my favourite unless it's hoki 🤣🤣🤣 I got some Lower Middle Class because of the 'fancy' sweets and because I like mussels sometimes 🤣🤣🤣
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Lower middle class. I still like the food I liked as a kid: chili, mac n'cheese, meatloaf, stew, sloppy joes, pulled pork, etc. That's the way I was raised to cook and I still eat that way. I'm not much of a seafood eater so said no to most of those. I can eat lobster, I'm just not crazy about it.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options

I came out as middle class. Which I am.

Of course, I was making out the menu for next week and noting that it included carne asada, Steak Diane, and Kung Pao pork. Tonight's dinner was shrimp scampi.

So, that just wasn't very accurate.

• CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options

This is kind of offensive… “LOWER” class?? Excuse me? :O

• INTJmom
    INTJmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My profile was upper middle-class, just like I expected.