Advice needed about diuretics...

Options
Okay I need advice, personal stories, etc...

I am currently in money-saving mode, eating up a lot of the food that is in my cabinets and freezer before I go out shopping again for healthy groceries. Due to this, I have been eating an extremely high sodium diet lately, which has caused those annoying gains in water weight. I understand that is a part of life, I know its temporary, I know how to fix it and am not worried about it in any real way.

However, I do have an event I plan to attend in a few days, and the outfit I have picked out fits great and comfortably when I am not bloated. When I am bloated, it still looks great and fits, but its kinda tight and uncomfortable due to the way my belly pokes out when it's bloated with water. I am anti diuretics, pills, cleanses, etc, due to a past history of eating disorders and my general knowledge that these are unhealthy, foolish practices.

That said, I do want to be able to be non-bloated for my event next week. A couple of friends encouraged me to go to GNC and get some diuretic pills, but I would rather do something more natural. I know that the BEST thing to do would be to get some fresh groceries and natural diuretic foods, etc, but once again, I am on budget and eating whats available.

I have a bottle of apple cider vinegar in my cabinet which I use to sometimes flavor up a bland salad or dish. I have read online and heard in general that you can drink this diluted in water and it acts as a natural diuretic, and that you will be up all night pissing but that you will no longer be bloated.

DOes anyone have any experience using apple cider vinegar as a temporary bloat fix? And does anyone have links to reputable research articles which discuss the safety of this practice?

Replies

• rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am interested in what response you get...I wish I could help:(
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you drink a lot of water a day? Maybe push more water. Also adding lemon to it is supposed to work a little like the vinegar. I've heard a lot of people talk about the vinegar thing but I have never tried it or looked up research on it. Due to blood pressure issues I've been on RX diuretics a couple months, so I don't generally look for more.
    P.S. I'm in Portsmouth, OH!
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Black tea, coffee and beer are natural directics. Exercise works too.
    Cheap foods are eggs, beans and oatmeal. Go to the sauna. Sometimes you can get one free 50 minute infrared sauna as a trial free thing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    depends on how much time you have, you can manipulate water levels with water intake and sodium intake (start high in both and taper both off by the event day)

dandelion root is a natural diuretic that works as does uva ursi
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    bump to read more info later --
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I would increase my water in take, and maybe drink some tea also. I know there is a pill that is sold OTC that isn't too bad, its designed for when you're retaining water (I think its mainly for women during that time of the month) called Diurex that I've taken with my diet, and also my prescription BP medicine, which I hope not to be on much longer. Hope this helps.
    BTW I sent you a friend request as I'm in Ashland, KY, and would like some relatively closeish friends on here.
    Have a great weekend!
    -Sarah
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    vinegar, watermelon, and caffeine are natural diuretics.
  • ferg1911
    Options
    Never discount the "value" of Aldi...remember it's all about saving green -- money that is, not trees :)
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your predicament doesn't quite make sense... it's not like all water weight you carry extra goes straight to your belly.

All the same, you can cut the extra sodium, drink extra water, coffee, some alchohol if you feel like it. Lower carb intake for a bit too; glycogen carries lots of water with it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    straight lemon juice. take a nice gulp.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Up your potassium and water intake
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Drink more water. Asparagus and lemons are natural diuretics. I also like to drink dandelion tea at night and that helps beat the bloat as well.

If you are eating a fair amount of vegetables, those could be contributing to the bloat as well. Check your grams of carbs you're taking in per day. I know since I'm eating a lot of broccoli, etc that I bloat up. Eating some extra carbs will help draw out the water from your bowel and into the muscle which will help reduce bloat.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    No high sodium foods until the event.

Dandelion tea is a very well known, safe diuretic, in reasonable quantities.

Now, this may sound counter intuitive, but if you drink your 8 glasses a day, and lay off the salt, you will pee like mad and shed all your bloat. Your body will stop clinging to the water because bloating is caused by to much salt, vs to little water (see hypotonic solutions and their effect on cells in regards to salt and water).
  • Janell33years
    Options
    eat celery it is a natural dietric and it takes more calories to chew it then it has in it