Help!

Anyone else get super discouraged pretty quickly? I feel like I try very hard but if I see ANY weight gain I feel defeated. And when I see weight loss I don’t PHYSICALLY see changes….

Replies

• CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    ketcher20 wrote: »
    Anyone else get super discouraged pretty quickly? I feel like I try very hard but if I see ANY weight gain I feel defeated. And when I see weight loss I don’t PHYSICALLY see changes….

What do you mean by 'try very hard'? If it means being very restrictive (low calories and/or banning certain foods from your diet) and/or jumping into an intense exercise regime, then it's no wonder you feel discouraged quickly.

I've lost 70lbs by (more or less) eating my regular foods in smaller portions/different proportions, losing at an (intentionally) slow rate 0.5lb per week. That way my weight-loss was 'painless' and easy to keep up. Exercise was something that came gradually along the way, starting with walking and then building up from there.

Also, weight fluctuations are normal, you might want to use a weight trend app to see your weight trend through the fluctuations: Happy Scale, Trendweight or Libra.

But what if the weight won’t come off?? I’m trying to lose weight slowly with small changes. I would LOVE to lose 0.5 pounds per week! But my weight keeps going UP at about that rate instead. I am TRYING to lose the weight but I keep getting fatter and it is very discouraging. :(
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,037 Member
    If you tell us more about yourself and your strategy, perhaps we can help you troubleshoot?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    [/quote] But what if the weight won’t come off?? I’m trying to lose weight slowly with small changes. I would LOVE to lose 0.5 pounds per week! But my weight keeps going UP at about that rate instead. I am TRYING to lose the weight but I keep getting fatter and it is very discouraging. :([/quote]

In addition to the questions above, are you weighing everything that you eat and measuring every liquid? Are you logging everything that you consume? Are you checking that the database entries you use are correct? If not, that's where to start. Most people who claim to not be able to lose are not actually logging (accurately) and don;t actually know how much they're eating.

OP, losing slowly is the best way to learn what keeps you satiated, what portion sizes are, what you can / can't eat within the number of calories you can eat per day without putting on weight etc. Set yourself mini goals to treat yourself to something nice for every 5 or 10 lb lost. In the 'useful posts' section at the top of this forum, there's a post about the fluctuations of scales - I suggest you take a read and you'll see that it's perfectly normal for weight to go up and down. The key thing is to track whether, overall, you're trending downwards. Note what you weigh now, comeback in 6-8 weeks and see what you weigh then. If it's less than you weigh now, you're on target. If it'snot, consider whether you're logging accurately.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I know! You're all set for the meal plan to begin and you lose three pounds in a whole month and then you gain two back.

You keep a notebook or your phone and everything that goes into your mouth each day is counted. Any exercise is going to be counted. Your weigh date is weekly (every Monday or every Friday). Then after two or three weeks, then you make a plan.

-2 to -5 lbs. a week: Wow!
    -0.5 to -1.5 a week: Great!
    0 to 1 lb a week: It's probably water weight
    1.5 to 2.5 a week: It's probably your period
    3+ a week: I would probably make a plan

1. First of all, know your weights.

j922awjfrd57.jpg

I weigh 265 and 5 foot 7 inches (I'll make it 1/2 inch taller when I do my BMI). I'm obese!

2. Drink plenty of water. Try 6-8 glasses of water.

ctczhlejxoxr.jpg

It's winter, folks! It's no time for brown urine.

4. Exercise.

It's a must to get your blood flowing, shake the depression off, and get your Vitamin D.

5. How can I plan on eating a healthy mixture meat/meat substitute or veggies a day?

While I do "keto", I fix and eat my own food, and I eat the "dirty keto": prepared foods. Prepared foods are my chicken sausage (under 2 g of sugar) and microwave-able half-Brussel sprouts. I have to have my Burmese minted chicken and wok stir-fried lamb with tofu, red bell peppers, string beans, garlic and house special soy sauce, with cauliflower rice once every two weeks. I'll have a chicken salad three times a week. Chain stores like Taco Bell, McDonalds, or Panda Express, put sugar or flour in their food. Read about it.

While I do "keto", it's up to your choice how you get to your healthy weight.

6. How can I get on a healthy meal plan for the rest of my life, not just for a diet?

Now you're getting it!

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    If you can find a way to focus primarily on improving health & fitness, and let weight loss be a 'side effect' of that it makes it a tad bit easier. But essentially you have to come to terms with the fact that weight loss and then weight maintenance is a long term (life long!) process. There is no 'end' date.

It is annoying when we are doing all the right things and the scale is slow to show results. But do keep going. The benefits to being more active and eating a reasonable amount are SO MUCH MORE than just a number on a scale.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Calorie deficit, gallon of water a day and 10k steps a day and do not stress results. Stay consistent and you will get results. The more you loose your calorie deficit will change, the harder it is to burn calories so must increase activity level. Sometimes we will go without results for a bit because our body is changing. Stay consistent through that time and then boom more results.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    [
    The weight will come off...obviously you're still eating too much. Sorry, but it's just that simple unless you have some endocrine issue that needs to be addressed by a doctor.

Excuse me!? :open_mouth:

I AM keeping track of my calories and I AM gradually reducing my calories but I’m still gaining weight.

I CAN’T reduce my calories any more because I’m freaking HUNGRY :( If I eat any less than I’m eating now, it’s just not enough to make my body feel satisfied. :(

You don’t get to decide what’s “too much” food for someone else’s body. I find that really offensive!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Honestly?
    32 oreos?
    Amateur. :)

Oreos did help get some milk in me tho. Cuz of, you know, the oreo crumbs I got to drink down with it. :)

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Oreos did help get some milk in me tho.

RED CAP FTW!!! :)

• luxia2020
    luxia2020 Posts: 55 Member
    I totally understand where you're coming from, @ketcher20! I've been juggling with a weird weight scale too, but I've decided to take what the scales tell me with a big grain of salt. It's hard to see the weight loss, especially when you can only see yourself as the unwanted version of yourself in the mirror! I think that's why they stress the importance of taking measurements and progress photos of yourself. The scale will lie to you (water weight retention, overeating for one day, and that food are still in your tummy, muscle growth, etc.), but the measurements will never lie! You might not see it, but if the measures are slowly moving in the direction you want, it's still progress! Keep at it! You got this!
    For me, I measure all parts of my body and track all the measurements weekly. It's almost a guarantee we won't lose excess fat in the area we most desire first. The scale barely moved in the three weeks I've started, but my measurements did. Of course, I can't see the changes at all in the mirror, but that's encouragement enough to keep going! Sometimes, we just need to find different ways to measure progress to keep that motivation up. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,849 Member
    ketcher20 wrote: »

I think the Half Size Me episode # 500 would be very helpful for both you and @CurvyEmmy.

https://www.halfsizeme.com/hsm500/