Dieting advice needed

Options
I started on my low carb diet 3 days ago and have been struggling with it. I have read some good and bad results. My problem is I work a strenuous job with 13hr shifts 7 days a week. Yesterday I felt like I was too weak to function. Any suggestions on a diet plan that won't zap all my energy, so I can work and hit the gym.

Replies

• Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight eating a balanced diet which includes carbs. It's doesn't seem normal to me to cut out carbs. I count calories and it works. Just one opinion.
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Forget the carb free diet unless it is for medical reasons. There is no quick fix. Eat your carbs but make sure you count them all. Use your food log and exercise log and just take it one meal at a time. Quick weight loss = quick weight gain :grumble:
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was on a diet for a while that really helped me lose weight but make sure that I had enough energy to get through the day. It was called body for life, and pretty much you eat a carb and a protein 6 times a day for 6 days, and then on the 7th day (Or whenever you want) you can have a cheat day. What this is designed to do is "shock your metabolism" I just couldn't eat that many times a day while being on an appetite suppressant. Though also be sure to watch your calories and don't over indulge too much. Hope this helps and good luck :D
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a struggle the first week or two. The cravings are intense but will subside, though. If your energy doesn't pick back up after a week, it may not be the right diet for you. And on a low carb diet, there's no need for intense cardio. Light to moderate is perfect, with a bit of strength training.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets are not for everyone just as high carb diets are not for everyone. You work a very strenuous job and will burn your carbs. If grains don't give you any other adverse affects, there is no reason for you to 'have' to go on a low carb diet. I do better on a lower carb diet, but then, I sit at a desk and don't burn them. Find what works for you and stick with it!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    How low carb is this diet? I did a low carb diet where I could still eat 75grams of carbs a day, just no bread, sugar, or pasta. brown rice was okay too though. You gotta up your protein when doing a lower carb diet. Don't be afraid of coffee too if you are feeling tired. Sweeten it with splenda or something. You can find all kinds of lower carb foods at the store if you look for them, most of them are from Atkins. There's also the benefit of eating all the veggies you want! Down some spinach like popeye or have some celery with all natural peanut butter (the no sugar kind). You'll do fine, you just started out. Give it some time, stick to your goals and you will see results!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started on my low carb diet 3 days ago and have been struggling with it. I have read some good and bad results. My problem is I work a strenuous job with 13hr shifts 7 days a week. Yesterday I felt like I was too weak to function. Any suggestions on a diet plan that won't zap all my energy, so I can work and hit the gym.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/pyramid/

This is most medically evidenced healthy eating plan I've seen. It's really just common sense. No gimmicks.
  • odracc
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice. I think I will stick with counting calories and exercise.