Lost Exercise Calories?

Options
Has this happened to you?
I did a 2.5 mile walk this morning and was rewarded with burning 200+ calories on this MFP app. However I just checked, (making sure I will have enough calories saved for leftover Thanksgiving Pie tonight), and poof, MFP changed it to only 50. ๐Ÿ˜–

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Do you have it synched to a fitness tracker? MFP will give you credit for your steps if you have it synced, but If you have a vigorous morning it thinks you are going ti maintain that level if activity for the rest of the day, if you end up having a more sedentary afternoon it adjusts the calculation back down.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Yes, synced to my Fitbit. Seems to be working again. Just strange, I never noticed it do that before.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you have it synched to a fitness tracker? MFP will give you credit for your steps if you have it synced, but If you have a vigorous morning it thinks you are going ti maintain that level if activity for the rest of the day, if you end up having a more sedentary afternoon it adjusts the calculation back down.

Actually that is not true.
    For either syncing only the steps from a phone or device, or if you have accounts linked and getting actual calorie figures into MFP.

From the time of an activity tracker account sync to midnight is calculated at the rate of burn from your MFP selected Activity level. So Sedentary is BMR x 1.25 / 1440 min = per min rate.

So if you have a workout in the morning and tracker account syncs over a daily burn of 300 over a normal sedentary rate of burn for say 9am - rest of the day is calculated as above. And then added to the 9am sync time figure.
    Now - due to that workout, you could indeed end up even less than sedentary for rest the day, like entire time at work could easily be that even normally, but may be wiped out in evening and do even less, may go to bed early therefore BMR rate of burn not even sedentary rate.

Those things will cause that 300 to be reduced by the time night comes, and the next morning on review.
    Not because it thought your rate of burn would keep including the 300 extra the initial 9 hrs had.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Has this happened to you?
    I did a 2.5 mile walk this morning and was rewarded with burning 200+ calories on this MFP app. However I just checked, (making sure I will have enough calories saved for leftover Thanksgiving Pie tonight), and poof, MFP changed it to only 50. ๐Ÿ˜–

Did you manually log that walk on MFP?

That could have caused a delay reaction - as that workout has to get synced back to Fitbit.
    Fitbit would replace the chunk of time specified with your new calorie burn figure, even if it was the same calories.
    Then Fitbit would need to sync back to MFP another Total Daily Burn figure. And it only syncs back when the daily burn goes up by 100 over the prior sync.
    So if the workout was the same calories as Fitbit already figures - no increase to daily burn right then, but later as your daily burn goes up, eventually it'll sync.

Couple other reasons for delay depending on what you did and when.

And you actually have MFP meal totals showing up in Fitbit?
    That shows you actually have accounts linked.
    As opposed to the option for MFP to just get a step count only straight from the device.
    Which has it's own set of gotcha's.