Post Thanksgiving binge weight gain -

Options
So i went off the rails on my diet over the course of 5 days, overeating and drinking until I felt sick. Didn't hold back, high carb, salty food and lots desserts. Made terrible decisions. I know this is an unhealthy mentally and am currently getting help for my restricted eating. I know some of this weight gain is water weight, but it has been 4 days now back on my diet and exercise routine and I'm still up about 7 pounds from my pre- holiday weight.

Is it normal to still see water weight lasting this long? Should I not freak out until at least a week after this binge? Or have I done long lasting damage?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,294 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's within the range of normal. For me, it usually takes about a week to get back into a semi-realistic weight range after an indulgence, and for various (experiential) reasons, I think that a multi-day indulgence usually hangs on longer.

Even with a one-day blowout, sometimes it's longer than my usual - depends on whether the post-indulgence days include other non-calorie factors that can encourage water retention (new exercise, minor injury or head cold or the like, extra salt/sodium over my norm, etc.) If you were female and in the relevant life stage (profile says male, I see), hormonal cycles would be an influence, also.

(I've done this high intake thing quite a few times while calorie counting and observing my bodyweight via daily weigh-ins and a weight trending app, BTW.** I might be eating up to 2-3 times my maintenance calories, in one day. It's part of how I intentionally run my life - keeps me happy, it's part of my plan. Usually it's been one day, or a 3-day weekend when traveling, something like that, maybe not 5 days. I've been counting for 6+ years, just under a year of loss from obese to healthy weight, maintaining a healthy weight since.)

You probably will've regained a little fat, if you ate well over your current maintenance calories for each of 5 days, realistically. It could be 7 pounds, I guess, but that would imply eating on average at least 4900 calories above maintenance (not just above weight loss calorie goal) daily during those 5 days. That's possible, but quite a lot. You probably have a feel for whether it could be that much. (Did you log it? It's a good idea to log days like that - a good learning tool.)

FWIW, I've not found that short over-maintenance episodes result in as much fat regain as the math suggests, for me, after a week or so has passed to let things settle out. The more spread out the calories are (over multiple days), for me, the more likely the math is closer, but that's all experiential/subjective/unscientific observation.

One thing: I'd suggest you give a good think to how and why this happened.

Is your regular diet plan too extreme or unenjoyable to sustain for the weeks, months, maybe even years it will take to accomplish meaningful weight loss (timeline depending on how much in total you need to lose, and the health urgency of losing it)? Sometimes, a slower weight loss plan can result in more actual weight loss over a period of weeks/months, because it's more sustainable in real-life conditions, vs. an extreme and hard to sustain plan that results in more oopsies along the way.

There's no reason to feel bad or guilty over an episode like this: Guilt and other bad feelings burn no extra calories, feel icky - they're optional. But there can be a learning experience in it, providing information that helps us adjust our plans in ways that make reaching goal more assured.

Don't agonize over those questions, but give them 10-15 minutes (tops) of consideration, and adjust your plan if that's the sensible thing. Just my opinion, though!

** Here's a detailed report on one episode, with calorie estimates and weigh-in data, if you're interested:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope#latest

Wishing you good results going forward!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I ate about 5,000 calories a day for 3-4 days while I was vacationing. It took me probably 10 days for the water weight to drop. I thought briefly I might have gained a pound or two but no, just took a few more days for it to finish coming off. No big deal.

(Also right now I'm post 'thanksgiving dinner X 2 and anniversary dinner' all happening IN A ROW and while it wasn't a total blow out, it was definitely over maintenance. It has now been 3-4 days and I'm... half a pound up? From pre-thanksgiving.

I will add that when I was heavier I saw MUCH WILDER water weight swings than I do now. It used to be 5-10lb range. Now it's... 2ish most of the time. Less space to store the water maybe, I don't know, but smaller swings. So if you're heavier now then definitely don't flip too hard about the 7. Don't anyway but extra don't if you're still losing.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I think it could take 1-2 weeks to get back to normal. Be kind to yourself, and maybe even pat yourself on the back. I know many times when I've taken a few days 'off' from logging & 'on' for overeating, it has been many more than 4-5 days before I reign myself in.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, but for only 3 days before I got rid of the leftovers. It's taking me a week to finally drop a pound. I weigh every day and my weight has been going up and down despite my eating at a 200 calorie deficit. We just have to keep on track and eventually our systems will catch up. Then we get to do it all over again at Christmas! LOL! It's only been a week since Tgiving. Give your body a chance. It will recover. Hugs!