Libra app calculations

Options
HylesGallii
HylesGallii Posts: 41 Member
edited November 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
A while ago I was reccomenjded using the libra app in order to track weight loss and personalize my plan to my body depending on how much I was losing per week while sticking to the MFP generated ones. Either way, that's just context.

My question to fellow users of the app would be that just today I was exploring the app and came accross settings that allow me to adjust 1. how many days are used in calculating my weight loss trend and 2. how many days are used to forecast my continued weight loss.

The default for both of these are 1 week, but as an individual who experiences periods I have seen said on this board that I may experience larger and longer periods of water weight fluctuation that makes calculting weight trend on the basis of 14 or even 30 days more reliable. Due to this, should I change these settings in the app for more accurate calculations, or am I misinterpreting?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,167 Member
    Options
    I use 28 days for the smoothing setting (and 42 for the forecast, but I think the forecast is less important).

The longer the period you choose, the smoother your trend will look. The downside is that choosing a high number of days will also cause you to notice an upward trend with more of a delay.
    But with a shorter number of days, you're more likely to get 'false' upticks in your trend.

I chose a setting with 28 days because, from my experience, it corresponds quite well with actual loss, I only get occasional 'false' upticks with extra salty meals or other exceptional circumstances.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    PS don't be afraid to experiment with the settings, it's all reversible 🙂
  • Lietchi
    Options
    PPS (sorry, I'm distracted 😛) it will also depend on your weight loss rate. I was aiming for slow weight loss (0.5lbs per week) which means weight fluctuations would more easily meal my weight loss, hence the longer smoothing period.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,407 Member
    Options
    I don't have cycles (long in menopause), but tend to set at 7/7 when losing (or re-losing a bit), but at 30 smoothing/60 projection when striving for level-ish maintenance. I eat quite unevenly, so 7/7 is pretty twitchy when maintaining - not very helpful.

Like @Lietchi said, the settings don't change the underlying data, they just change how it displays, so sometimes I switch it to some alternate values just to get a different take, then back to whatever I'm tending to use generally at that time. These settings are one of the things I really like about Libra.

Play with it a little, see what you like.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I used 14/14 when losing and now 30/30 in maintenance. I don't have large weight fluctuations, though, even with salt or higher eating days (less than 2 lbs except for a few occasions due to meds or injury).
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thank you @HylesGallii for asking this, and to everyone who responded! I'm losing the last few pounds super slowly and I didn't know you could change it. Now that I've found the setting and fiddled with it a bit, my trendline isn't going sharply upwards like it was this morning, because I had some chips yesterday.
  • HylesGallii
    Options
    Well the primary reason I was asking @AnnPT77 was that I was recommended this app to see how my calorie goal for the weight at which I wanted to lose (-0.5lbs a week) differs from the suggested calorie goal MFP has given me.

I'd do this using my rate of loss from the app, which does change depending on my smoothing days. Not a huge amount, but as I'm going for such a slow rate of loss that can make a difference. Which is why I figured I would ask, because not only this but with less days for smoothing there are large fluctuations in this rate which would affect how I go about implementing it.

Does that make sense?
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Well the primary reason I was asking @AnnPT77 was that I was recommended this app to see how my calorie goal for the weight at which I wanted to lose (-0.5lbs a week) differs from the suggested calorie goal MFP has given me.

I'd do this using my rate of loss from the app, which does change depending on my smoothing days. Not a huge amount, but as I'm going for such a slow rate of loss that can make a difference. Which is why I figured I would ask, because not only this but with less days for smoothing there are large fluctuations in this rate which would affect how I go about implementing it.

Does that make sense?

You should know that no matter the settings you choose (which alter the graph) your trend analysis itself doesn't change: the screen you see when you tap on the bar at the bottom of the graph with your weight, BMI, etc.
    I just tested it and my settings had no effect on the rate of loss per week, 15 days etc.
  • AnnPT77
    edited December 2021
    Options

Does that make sense?

Yes, the goals do. I'm not as convinced on the methodology. If you're going off the slope of the graph, or the trend data points, or something, maybe.

@Lietchi's right, about the bottom of the screen. I think that part is dumb. The 7 day/month/etc. numbers there seem to be just a comparison of those periods' start/end scale weights, which isn't reasonable. (It's not the only thing about Libra that I think is dumb, but nothing's perfect.)

The people who really care about adjusting intake semi-frequently (once a month or more, quicker is silly IMO, especially at a slow loss rate) - they run a spreadsheet customized to the purpose. If I wanted to do that, I'd take that approach. (I don't want to. I'm lazier than that.)

So, I never did that. I didn't have Libra when I was first losing, but got it about halfway to goal. At that point, I was losing as fast as I wanted to, didn't need to adjust. Maintenance tracking is a different game. More recently, shooting for a very slow (re-)loss in what was mostly maintenance, I didn't care how slow the loss was as long as it mostly happened, had a good handle on my calorie requirements with/without exercise, so I didn't rely on Libra for calculating adjustments. I just followed what long history/experience told me was going to work, no matter what the scale or Libra did.

There was at least a month during that (re-)loss of a few vanity pounds where Libra thought I was maintaining, sometimes even gaining, when I was pretty sure my calorie intake was as needed (but I'd recently resumed strength training, which always adds a couple of pounds of water weight for me). Sure enough, the expected super-slow loss showed up eventually, once that slooooooow fat loss emerged from the eclipse of weight-training water weight gain.

I'm sure that at some point, if I kept not losing, and Libra kept saying I wasn't losing, I would've questioned my calorie goal, but a month or month and a half wasn't enough to trigger that, with 5 years or so of logging experience under my belt (heh). My (over)confidence sustained me, and the confirmation I was right came soon enough to make things work out.

YMMV - and I think you're in a somewhat different situation than I've ever been in. Betting you can make things work though!
  • HylesGallii
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Yes, going off the trend/slope is the point of it.

I appreciate the input. Maybe it should be clarified for reference: I am actually losing faster than I intend to at the MFP calorie goals. I was hoping to use libra to get an estimate for what my "true" goal for -0.5lbs a week is without going too high.
  • Lietchi
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Like AnnPT77, I only started using Libra well into my weight loss journey. I use a spreadsheet to calculate my (rolling) TDEE, but you can just do a quick check without a spreadsheet too.

Add up your calorie intake for a given period (preferably a month or more). Add to that 3500 calories for every lb you've lost: you can use your Libra trend weight for that (in the database next to your weigh-ins). And then divide that by the number of days of the period you chose.
    For a weight loss rate of 0.5lbs per week, you'd subtract 250 calories from that number.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Like AnnPT77, I only started using Libra well into my weight loss journey. I use a spreadsheet to calculate my (rolling) TDEE, but you can just do a quick check without a spreadsheet too.

Add up your calorie intake for a given period (preferably a month or more). Add to that 3500 calories for every lb you've lost: you can use your Libra trend weight for that (in the database next to your weigh-ins). And then divide that by the number of days of the period you chose.
    For a weight loss rate of 0.5lbs per week, you'd subtract 250 calories from that number.

@HylesGallii - Yeah, what @Lietchi says is what I did, works fine as long as your logging is reasonable. Honestly, so much of this is estimates, that's it's probably fine to spitball it: Look at your average loss rate over 4-6 weeks (women pre-menopause should use whole menstrual cycles, compare weights at same relative point in cycle). If you're losing half a pound a week faster than you'd like, add 250 calories daily to your goal, run another 4-6 week experiment.

Best wishes!