Push-up Help

Options
I recognize this question has been asked before, but I'm hitting a wall with the advice I've been following so far.

So, I'd like to be able to do about 20 push-ups. I can currently do none. I have been weightlifting and using the stairsteps as elevated platforms to gradually make my way closer to on-the-floor push-ups. That said, I feel like my progress is stagnating.

Does anyone have any workout routines and techniques to help with moving to the next step in my push-up form?

For clarification, I am a female in my mid twenties and have a BMI of 30.1. I also have a 6 foot wingspan, which makes getting my chin 3 inches above the ground (my goal for what is considered a good push-up) more difficult than I'd imagine for my short-limbed counterparts.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It took me ages - I mean over a year - to get my first (this time last year, as it happens). Now I can do 10 in a set and 37 if I'm pushing to max over 4 sets. Apart from what you are doing, what is your core strength like? That needs to be good. My PT had me do plenty of planks. We worked a lot on chest and tricep strength.

Don't stress on the 3 inches for now. Going too low can prevent you getting back up again, especially in the early stages. My biggest problem early on was going too low and then having to arch my back on the way up as I could not generate any force from my hips. I spent a fair bit of time lowering to just above my sticking point and then hanging around there in a plank before trying to push back up. I also did a lot of close grip knee press ups (hands touching at thumb and forefinger to make a diamond shape) which really works the triceps.

Personally I never found using the stairs or a bench for elevated push ups very helpful. I did find the Smith machine good, though, if you have access to one of those. You can get your chest properly over the bar and get into a good hand/arm position, which I always found tough with a step type arrangement.

I'd also recommend videoing your form because you can correct a lot when you actually see what is going on.

Good luck and keep at it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "That said, I feel like my progress is stagnating."
    How are you judging progress? Over what timescale?
    Are your reps increasing? Are you able to increase the difficulty?

I've done many push up challenges over the years and a very simple routine has worked best for me:
    Three times a week do three sets at a challenging but not 100% effort.
    Once a month do an AMRAP test when fresh and that sets your levels going forward.

Those challenging sets are at a level of assistance/modifiction/reps personal to you and that evolves as you progress.

BTW - When I was growing up most people did push ups with wide flared elbows, the more modern way of tucked in elbows and a arm hinging movement doesn't suit everyone so experiment which style works best for you. Neither is better or worse universally.
  • SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming based on your original post that you're already incorporating push-up progression into your routine (incline pushups - against a wall, bench, countertop, etc.) You can also do reverse push ups - start in high plank and slowly lower to your belly. then stop, rest - and go back to high plank, repeat. I would also make sure that you're doing general upper body strength training and core. Push ups work a TON of muscles. Don't neglect back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, etc. - keep working all upper body muscles as well as your core to support those great push ups! Keep it up - you'll get there!!
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @sijomial

Flared elbows during push ups can actually damage your shoulders, that's why it's recommended against.

Here is a random link, but google can provide plenty more info. https://youtu.be/5L4kdK-vqBY
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @sijomial

Flared elbows during push ups can actually damage your shoulders, that's why it's recommended against.

Can being the operative word!
    Hinging movements can also damage elbows. Not will, can.

Which is why there is no universal perfect technique for all. Personally I avoid PTs who tell people there is only one correct form for any exercise.

For me flared elbows style has caused no issues for 45+ years including several 100+ push up challenges from young teenage to my late fifties whereas trying to hinge sets off my elbow tendons. And that just points people towards trying to find what form works for them.

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've generally thought of standard push ups almost as a repetitive cardio exercise, and am good for fifty or more on a good day. When I've gotten fat and weak I've started flat on the floor, just gradually pressing up shoulders and leaving my fat belly on the ground. I do much better working to 20 or 30 of those, then starting from the knees, and only then to full plank push ups. I've never tried elevating my hands on steps or whatever, but it might well work.

That standard push up is just one variation, and changing hand position, rep speed, or feet change the impact pretty radically in good ways. I recently came across this Youtube lightening course on variations, that has some reasonable tips for starters as well as challenges in a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypxmdLxCK7k