Tattoo's and Weight Loss

Options
Hey,

Im looking at losing around 140 pounds (a little less now) and im wanting to treat myself to a whole side tattoo once ive lost the weight (and if my skin dosnt look to bad). Does anyone know how long id have to wait after losing all the weight before i get the tattoo as it will be quite detailed.

Thanks for any help

Nessy x

Replies

• SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What do you mean how long will you have to wait for what?

I have the whole left side of my torso tattooed and I had it done in two sittings as a lot of it is dot work.

When having it done, I asked what affect losing any weight would have on the appearance of the tattoo, thinking it might make it not appear as good, but he said it would make the detail look a lot tighter.

As soon as you're happy with your weight, just go for it!
  • LindseySpies
    Options
    I totally agree with SlimSadieG, when you feel comfortable with your body and are ready to commit to it, there's no reason to wait.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not exactly sure because I haven't lost all the weight I'd like to lose but a nutritionist I once went to said that it takes skin quite a bit (up to 2 yrs) to firm up after we've lost a large amount of weight. But I am assuming this is when somebody has lost a lot of weight and their skin doesn't bounce back quickly. I have terrible skin so I know mine would take forever. Everybody is different though and your skin might be better than mine. She also mentioned that staying hydrated was great from skin recovery.

I don't have any tatts but I REALLY want one so if I end up getting it I will wait a while.

BTW - good luck on your journey you have come to the right place! :)
  • vrcoppett
    Options
    Hi Nessy --

Good for you in setting your weight loss goal and for planning to reward yourself for getting slimmer and healthier! As for your plan to get what I understand will be a very large and detailed tattoo: I totally identify with your wanting to reward yourself -- and you certainly should.

My feedback is based only on what I have observed from other gym-addicts rather than own personal body experience. I would nevertheless say "find another reward." Perhaps a smaller tattoo (an arm bracelet, perhaps, or an ankle bracelet) would make you feel just as happy and validated -- and it would change less as years go by. Plus it would have the advantage of being something that you could reveal publicly on a daily basis -- or that you could cover with clothing, footwear, jewelry, or cover-up makeup if you wished.

As an additional "reward," smaller, less elaborate ink would be less expensive -- and you could spend the savings on a nice pair of earrings or cosmetic rewards (Botox, Sculptra, microdermabrasions, a series of facial peels, etc.) that would further enhance your new sense of "pretty."
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was waiting to get mine too because I wondered if I got it now and then lost more it would change it.
  • agreenmess
    Options
    Thanks for the replys, they have helped alot!

SlimSadieG - As the deatil will be quite focused it would be pretty amazing to get it even better.

vrcoppett - I already have quite a few tattoos and this one is not to "show" off that isnt the reason i get them and whatever my new sense of "pretty" will be it wont include anything like botox!!

Nessy x
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    Thanks for the replys, they have helped alot!

SlimSadieG - As the deatil will be quite focused it would be pretty amazing to get it even better.

vrcoppett - I already have quite a few tattoos and this one is not to "show" off that isnt the reason i get them and whatever my new sense of "pretty" will be it wont include anything like botox!!

Nessy x

My arms are half sleeved already, and I have lost some weight and inches and they aren't different at all. I wouldn't worry about it, I think the factor is probably how elastic your skin is since some people report extra skin, but it seems to me if the weight is gradually coming off and you drink plenty of water, you shouldn't have a problem... I will be happy to share if I notice anything significant with mine.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on getting it when you are at a maintenance level then maybe wait a month or two to see if you can stay roughly at the same weight for a while. I once got a tattoo on my hip and put a bit of weight on afterwards so the small details didn't heal as well as they should have done. It still looks ok from a distance but I'm now saving for a touch up so I'm going to be super careful with my weight this time around.
    This might not be true with everyone but my tattoo artist said that some girls experience similar problems with tattoos in that area, just as some guys experience it around their upper arms and shoulders.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    For skin elasticity, drink 1/2 ur body weight in ounces of water a day, use lotions such as jergens age dedying that has vitamins a, e, and c in them when u get out of shower, and while in the shower use soaps that have the samee, and eat foods high in vitamin a,c,e,k,omegas, etc and do strength training... sometimes it takes 1 to 2years after weight loss for ur skin to be ok, but if u do these things it will help u out...I think I will be one of the ones who needs a extra couple years..im noticing tons of extra skin...I want a left arm shoulder/quarter sleeve, but with all the skin there's no way I could think about it at this point