Food sucks

Options
I want to lose weight but have come to the realization that I like food, I eat at the wrong times often, and when I do eat at the wrong time I eat the worst food I could.
How does one keep from eating at the wrong time?

Replies

• makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd say make a schedule. Map out what you plan to eat and at what time. After a couple of weeks re-evaluate and loosen up if you're on track.

A little discipline. You were in the military so this should be second nature.

After getting out of the military I kind of put discipline on the back burner lol. But I will try just about anything now.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself eating a lot when you aren't actually hungry (i.e. after dinner), then find something to do that will involve your mind and body enough that you won't nibble all night. Go for a walk, take a class, call a friend . . . If you eat because you ARE hungry, then work on getting higher quality more satiating foods for your meals. Keep junk food out of the house. Don't stop on the way home from work. Keep low calorie filling snacks in your car if that is a time when you end up eating junk food. (i.e. fruit).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I agree that scheduling, planning, and regular exercise are really good tools.

Then, I watch the snacking.

When I was losing weight I tried to not eat at all in between meals. If I planned my nutrition ahead of time, I didn't really want to eat in between meals.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Well first, there is no wrong time to eat, so I don't even know what you mean by that.

Second, your taste in food can be modified. Persistently eating a different way will totally change what you crave, it's even possible to make your old favourites taste disgusting.

It sounds like your hunger and satiety signals are totally out of whack, along with your reward systems, which have probably coded food as a self soothing mechanism for stress/fear/frustration/etc.

This is super common, but you will have to be proactive in repairing all of these systems to a healthier, more productive form.

How you do that will depend on you.
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    I’m not sure I understand the concept of the ‘wrong time’ in this context.

What do you mean by that? Why is it the wrong time, wrong in what way?

Eat when you’re hungry, don’t if you’re not - your body does not care what the clock says 🤷‍♀️

Dawn phenomenon. In my experience it matters a lot what time I eat.
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'd say make a schedule. Map out what you plan to eat and at what time. After a couple of weeks re-evaluate and loosen up if you're on track.

A little discipline. You were in the military so this should be second nature.

This reminded me of Boot Camp, where I dropped @ 25 pounds in 6 weeks. Amazing what the combination of:

1. Only being able to eat 3 times per day
    2. Only having 30 minutes to eat
    3. Having to drink two glasses of water with that meal
    4. Terrible food
    5. Lots of exercise

did for weight loss!

OP - I eat too much when I allow myself to get too hungry, so I work hard to make sure I don't let that happen. I eat pretty much on a schedule, I know what I'm going to have ahead of time, and allow enough time to make that happen.

(See how I take responsibility and control there?)

I agree, basic made it easy to lose or gain weight depending on your size going in. Deployments as well.
    Responsibility isn't a problem. My comment at the beginning I admit that the problem is me " I like food, I eat at the wrong times often, and when I do eat at the wrong time I eat the worst food I could."
    Control is however an issue.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight but have come to the realization that I like food, I eat at the wrong times often, and when I do eat at the wrong time I eat the worst food I could.
    How does one keep from eating at the wrong time?

I have trouble moderating, so I have to cut out the "wrong" foods completely. If I had a bag of chips in the house this past weekend I would have ate the whole thing, so I just have to cut them out completely and not buy them.
    I like rules, so I don't eat after dinner.
    The mantra here is always that there are no bad foods, but it just doesn't work for me if I try to fit (what I consider) junk food into a calorie allowance. You have to know yourself and find what works for you.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My solution to late night snacking was, and continues to be 'leave 300-400 calories for the end of the day'. I eat it most of the time. If, for whatever reason, I *don't* eat those snacks, I just keep track and eat them on the weekend so I don't leave my body at too sharp a deficit (or for me any deficit).
  • 33gail33
    Options
    Small study - but still. Personally I don't think that we can definitively assert that meal timing doesn't have any effect on fat loss.

Metabolic Effects of Late Dinner in Healthy Volunteers—A Randomized Crossover Clinical Trial

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-abstract/105/8/2789/5855227?redirectedFrom=fulltext
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes is, "If it was easy, everyone would do it." That seems to apply to losing weight rather well. Will power is the only answer. I wish there was an "easier" answer, but at least it can't get more "simple!"
  • 33gail33
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Small study - but still. Personally I don't think that we can definitively assert that meal timing doesn't have any effect on fat loss.

Metabolic Effects of Late Dinner in Healthy Volunteers—A Randomized Crossover Clinical Trial

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-abstract/105/8/2789/5855227?redirectedFrom=fulltext

This graphic or a variant has been out there from various sources, Can meal timing make a difference, most likely but for the way the vast majority of the US eats it is majoring in the minors. Lot to fix before being concerned with meal timing:

3re63cfwzotd.png

I always find it interesting that the general consensus at MFP is that every morsel of food should be weighed and accounted for (CI) because small amounts can add up, but other factors that impact small amounts of calories (CO) are considered irrelevant.

As the study concludes: "these effects might promote obesity if they recur chronically."

"Lot to fix before being concerned with meal timing"

The OP specifically mentioned meal timing, so while you might not think it is relevant, it seems that they do.