For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    i was actually rather happy to find a way to make cauliflower that my husband would eat, as previously he professed only to be able to swallow if boiled to submission and then drowned in either cheese sauce or hollandaise.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Love seeing the ‘whole head’ circulating. Agreed that when it’s just me, not always worth the wait. But when I’m using the oven as a proxy heater, I like to give it about half hour hot (400ish) and then drop it low and slow until I can’t wait anymore. Gets so delightfully crispy-chewy.
  • acpgee
    I tried this courgette salad recipe today and thought it was fantastic. Changed a few logistical things in the recipe. Instead of blanching, I put my courgette spears in the salad spinner and poured a kettle full of boiling water over. Once the water had cooled down enough to handle, I drained my courgette and spun them to remove excess water. I made a larger quantity of the sauce and put it in a squeeze bottle in the fridge so the recipe can be made quickly.

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/5-minutes-zucchini-salad/
  • acpgee
    Hubby came home with tiny mini cauliflowers. A whole roast cauliflower that is the right size for a veggie side for one or two.
    Ballpoint pen next to the package to demonstrate scale.

a94qafsks8iz.jpg
  • purplefizzy
    acpgee wrote: »
    Hubby came home with tiny mini cauliflowers. A whole roast cauliflower that is the right size for a veggie side for one or two.
    Ballpoint pen next to the package to demonstrate scale.

a94qafsks8iz.jpg

Wow! I’ve NEVER encountered. So fun!
  • purplefizzy
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I neglected to get beans soaking a few days ago. I usually soak overnight (or all day), drain, then rinse twice a day for a couple days until they just barely start to sprout. And I wanted a batch of something filling to take for lunch today. I'm working in the field, and it's going to be cold.

I thought about black eyed peas. They don't need a soak. Instead I made something I don't think I had before. I put some hull-less barley on the stove and cut up some onion, carrot, garlic, mushrooms and hot chile. I sauteed that and at the end added some rinsed lentils, then added the whole mess to the half cooked barley. I poured a cocktail and let them finish cooking.

Of course I tried some last night, and they are quite delicious.

Pictures wouldn't be visually appealing, but it makes my mouth and belly happy.

Do you have sprouting experience for things like lentils? There is a local market that does a mix of semi sprouted things, I think they are red lentils, some form of small yellowish round bean, and some form of pea.

They are crunchy and short tailed. Delish. Would love to know your faves for eating raw if you have them.
  • acpgee
    I recently made the non vegetarian version of this stir fried white cabbage recipe. It tasted surprisingly complex for an easy dish with very few ingredients.
    https://redhousespice.com/chinese-cabbage-stir-fry/
  • acpgee
    @mtaratoot

If you are looking for more sauerkraut variations to try, my mom used to do Szechuan pickled cabbage. It's hotter than kimchi.
    https://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-pickled-cabbage-szechuan-style-47496
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,128 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I neglected to get beans soaking a few days ago. I usually soak overnight (or all day), drain, then rinse twice a day for a couple days until they just barely start to sprout. And I wanted a batch of something filling to take for lunch today. I'm working in the field, and it's going to be cold.

I thought about black eyed peas. They don't need a soak. Instead I made something I don't think I had before. I put some hull-less barley on the stove and cut up some onion, carrot, garlic, mushrooms and hot chile. I sauteed that and at the end added some rinsed lentils, then added the whole mess to the half cooked barley. I poured a cocktail and let them finish cooking.

Of course I tried some last night, and they are quite delicious.

Pictures wouldn't be visually appealing, but it makes my mouth and belly happy.

Do you have sprouting experience for things like lentils? There is a local market that does a mix of semi sprouted things, I think they are red lentils, some form of small yellowish round bean, and some form of pea.

They are crunchy and short tailed. Delish. Would love to know your faves for eating raw if you have them.

For eating raw, I mostly stick to mung beans. When I sprout beans to cook, I don't let them go past the stage where you can barely first see the acrospire begin to emerge. Sometimes I don't wait for the acrospire; I have a pretty good idea that it takes two or three days. It's just about enzymes for me. I don't eat sprouted beans raw because even though sprouting can reduce the amount of lectin, I don't think it eliminates it.

@mtaratoot

If you are looking for more sauerkraut variations to try, my mom used to do Szechuan pickled cabbage. It's hotter than kimchi.
    https://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-pickled-cabbage-szechuan-style-47496

Interesting. I have thought about making a fermented green cabbage cut into big chunks instead of shreds like sauerkraut. My kimchi can be pretty hot, but not always. What I seem to have settled on is a sort of "white kimchi" since I use fresh chilies cut in slices rather than ground up into a paste. I have started grinding some of the garlic as well as the ginger and some of the hot chilies. I usually do include some dried red chilies; they don't add that much color. That said, Sichuan pepper is a whole other animal. Well... vegetable.
  • acpgee
    https://blog.themalamarket.com/sichuans-naturally-fermented-pickles-pao-cai/
    More on szechuan pickles. I remember my mom's brine was salt water, no vinegar.
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    jh9iajknls0y.jpeg

u4vat1e9tpax.jpeg

Oh hi y’all! Been a minute. Love the new UI! I’ve been super busy with basically 2 vacations in a row but I did want to share a couple fantastic produce experiences recently; one was a date with husband to a Laotian restaurant and I had my first-ever shaved green papaya salad; it was INCREDIBLE. I added fish since it was my lunch and I needed the protein but it still would have been incredible alone.

I also had spaghetti squash for the first time in ages, and learned that if you cut the squash width-wise instead of lentgthwise, you get longer noodles! The fibers of the squash coil inside concentrically. It turned out excellent.
  • acpgee

Oh hi y’all! Been a minute. Love the new UI! I’ve been super busy with basically 2 vacations in a row but I did want to share a couple fantastic produce experiences recently; one was a date with husband to a Laotian restaurant and I had my first-ever shaved green papaya salad; it was INCREDIBLE. I added fish since it was my lunch and I needed the protein but it still would have been incredible alone.

I also had spaghetti squash for the first time in ages, and learned that if you cut the squash width-wise instead of lentgthwise, you get longer noodles! The fibers of the squash coil inside concentrically. It turned out excellent.

If you crave green papaya or green mango salad, but struggle to find the unripe tropical fruit, I find a combination of spiralized granny smith apple and carrot a decent substitute.
  • purplefizzy
    jh9iajknls0y.jpeg

u4vat1e9tpax.jpeg

OMG yes green papaya salad. Here (Big Island Hawaii, Hilo side) it’s probably the best ‘local spin on’ cusine - they do it with avocado. And we have a LOT of papaya - it’s the most affordable produce. I adore it, and have never nailed the dressing. It’s a very finicky balance of lime, chile, and (depending on the recipe) soy or fish sauce, and (in most cases) garlic, tempered with sugar. Honestly I think usually I don’t add enough sugar. I adore the farmers market stand version with really darkly roasted peanuts.
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    If you crave green papaya or green mango salad, but struggle to find the unripe tropical fruit, I find a combination of spiralized granny smith apple and carrot a decent substitute.

Thanks for the tip! I honestly don’t even know how to look for an unripe papaya… I have never deliberately sought unripe fruit lol

OMG yes green papaya salad. Here (Big Island Hawaii, Hilo side) it’s probably the best ‘local spin on’ cusine - they do it with avocado. And we have a LOT of papaya - it’s the most affordable produce. I adore it, and have never nailed the dressing. It’s a very finicky balance of lime, chile, and (depending on the recipe) soy or fish sauce, and (in most cases) garlic, tempered with sugar. Honestly I think usually I don’t add enough sugar. I adore the farmers market stand version with really darkly roasted peanuts.

Ohhhh that sounds like HEAVEN ON EARTH. And yes, the dressing was exceptional; I am a wuss so asked for super mild and got almost no spice; what remained was definitely a sweet, tangy fish-sauce dressing that was so perfectly balanced.
    Also, you live in Hawaii, so jealous. Haven’t been since I was a kid but need to make sure I take husband one day :)
  • acpgee
    This is my go to dressing for SE Asian salads. Don't bother with the oil for deep frying shallots and peaniuts if you buy ready fried shallots from the Vietnamese section of the Asian supermarket and roasted peanuts. Or substitute the ready fried onion that Americans use on Thanksgiving green bean casserole that can be found in normal supermarkets.

Alternatives to green mango or green papaya are pomelo, grapefruit, pineapple, roast aubergine. For the aubergine version, blacken the skin (broiler, air fryer, over a glass flame, BBQ) then peel off the skin and chop up the flesh.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut
  • acpgee
    And thinly sliced banana blossom is also a typical SE Asian salad that uses the same dressing. But yeah, that's another hard to find ingredient.
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    ulsakuj272tr.jpeg

YESSSSS! A big bag of my absolute favorite, Meyer lemons, from Costco. I’m so excited :)