For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I can't believe the hubby found samphire (aka salicornia) in the supermarket, something I love but haven't eaten in about 12 years. Grows in salt water tidal marshes. so a pre salted vegetable.
    7hhj4if2w6xj.jpg

Tesco’s have been stocking Samphire for quite some years now, in fact.

I first came across Samphire when I lived in Norfolk where it was available, in season only, from the wet fish stalls in Norwich Market. At that time (20+ years ago) it pretty much was only growing in The Wash - North Norfolk/Lincolnshire coast.

I can only imagine from the easy availability these days in Tesco (and Morrisons - but that’s less reliable a source) that’s its being farmed rather than gathered wild semi-locally. I’ve just realised your pack says ‘Morocco’!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I have been on a fruit tear lately after realizing that not going to the farmer's market was meaning I was missing out on my usual summer fruit. Been eating apricots, peaches, plums, blueberries, blackberries, and cherries. My own blueberries went from almost ripe to missing, so some animal is eating them (probably squirrels, which have been an issue this year).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,290 Member
    Options
    I made a discovery this morning.

I went out to the garden to see what needed to be picked and/or watered. What I discovered is that, apparently, deer like hot chile plants.....

xctp6ke4liet.jpg
    px93ju3n16s9.jpg
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like to experiment a little with different kinds of produce - I grew up as a very picky eater and as an adult I've been intentionally trying to broaden my food horizons. My latest "never tried it before" was Brussels sprouts and I didn't love them but didn't hate them either.

After recently moving from a decently large city to a smallish one, I've been heartbroken that the stores here just don't carry some of the stuff I used to get. Blood oranges, endive, pomegranate arils...sigh.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Today was the day to pick the Bartlett pear tree. I borrowed an orchard ladder from my neighbor, and that made the job so much easier for me AND less damaging to the tree. I ended up with a nice pile of pears.

6rfybqxvq5zv.jpg

The next step was sorting. I don't spray, so it's pretty common for them to have worms. I sort out the best looking ones and put them in a couple boxes, then sort the rest into a few more grades. Some go right into the compost. Others that are mis-shapen, already have frass coming out, or just aren't perfect are in the biggest white box that went out on the curb with a bunch of paper sacks and a sign saying what they are and how to ripen.

r1x6kbl9dij0.jpg

I probably should weigh what I kept. I will inevitably give some of them away to friends and neighbors. I will eat some fresh, and I will dry some others. I think I might be able to put some in the refrigerator NOW and then ripen them in a few weeks to extend the short window of opportunity to eat them. They are pretty delicate when ripe, and they are really delicious. I still remember the first year I harvested them after I bought my house. It's a little art and a little science to know when to pick them because they need to ripen off the tree. I remember the first one I ate, and I remember thinking it was the best pear I ever ate.

I love Bartlett pears, pears in general, ah, most fruit, to be honest. Great harvest! I think it is a successful strategy to put some in the fridge, and take out little by little to let them ripen later. I'm doing that with my mango, season is long over, freezer is full, but i still have fresh fruit in the fridge that i cut up as needed. Because fresh is just too special! My mom made me some dehydrated pears a while back, it was very good.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My friend was gifted several bushes of pears and she canned pear sauce without sugar. I can understand why someone would not want to go all that trouble (I wouldn't) but I am the recipient of a couple of those jars and it's delicious!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Since yesterday was August 8, I shouldn't have been surprised to see this on my porch:

n4k0omji4dpo.jpg

It is huge. Silly neighbors....

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Now I’m curious! What’s the significance of August 8th and a huge courgette/marrow in fancy dress?
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Laughing about the zucchini.
    Neighbor gave me a giant one, and dang was it woody.
    Even mandolin sliced, totally not worth chewing.
    I’m sorta into the tiny baby ones occasionally, but the whole zoodle thing has always felt to me like some clever chef at cuisinart is laughing all the way to the bank and the rest of us are eating monsters that are better destined for the compost pile I never actually started.

I might like them if cooked in enough salt and oil to become frenchfry competition but anything I can’t eat raw or cooked plain I’m usually just fooling myself into ‘liking.’

Still in a very PlainJane lazy food phase. Steamed Ube are on the nightly rotation, and all the crunchy dip-worthy vehicles for hummus and the Greek yogurt dip I’m low key obsessed with (fage 5%, spices, fresh herbs, lemon, tahini, dried onion.)

Stone fruit season, but supermarket peaches have me depressed. California is enjoying another period of staycation and so farmers market (previously the only real perk to living in the hot as hades cultural wasteland I call home) has dried up and disappeared, it seems.

Oh well. Asian market continues to be a source of sanity, fermented bean sauce, and all things mushroom.

Flipped the barren beds from failed pandemic-inspired garden into a succulent display. Those I can keep alive :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    53orvtvsbozc.jpg

Toldja. Lazy plain. And delish :smile:
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I have so many small globe tomatoes that I can't keep up. It's only 1 plant, but I am only 1 person. So they are globe tomatoes, shaped like a slicing tomato, but about the size of roma tomatoes. Which makes them not the best for sandwiches. I am getting tired of slicing them on top of avocado toast or having tomato and cucumber salads. Using a few later this week in hummus veggie pasta but I have no clue what else to make with them!

I don't have a have a garden but bought a 5 kg box of so-so tomatoes from the green grocer very cheap when there was a glut. Roast tomato sauce is an option if the weather is not too hot to have the oven on. I gave a third of the finished batch to the girlfriend who came to help make this. This was the portion that went into our freezer.

If your tomatoes are really good you won't need to roast them, which is a more manageable way to make tomato sauce for freezing in hot weather.

cohnn4u1pa4s.jpeg

The last time you posted about tomatoes I got all grumpy about my relationship with store tomatoes, then later laughed at myself - I’d forgotten you don’t live in the US. The produce (and general food standards) in Europe is in general so far superior to what passes as legal for US conventional agriculture standards... so I take back my grumpy tomato thoughts. I’d prolly eat your tomatoes too :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    A combination of spiralized carrot and granny smith is a good substitute for shredded green mango called for in Som Tam.
    uqz4v0x1jc68.jpeg

Any recipe you suggest? In general I appreciate your flavor profiles and this looks amazeballs.
    I inherited a smoker this weekend..

What brand? And is it huge? Looking to find one not too crazy huge and with decent longevity as I’ll look to buy used (still trying to avoid buying new kitchen tomfoolery.)
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Since yesterday was August 8, I shouldn't have been surprised to see this on my porch:

n4k0omji4dpo.jpg

It is huge. Silly neighbors....

You’re right. Leaving a zucchini on the vine until it becomes huge and tasteless IS silly.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I inherited a smoker this weekend..

What brand? And is it huge? Looking to find one not too crazy huge and with decent longevity as I’ll look to buy used (still trying to avoid buying new kitchen tomfoolery.)

It says "Smoke Hollow" on the front. It is not a current model. The current similar models have two doors - one for the fire and one for the food. They also have a different closure. This one has four racks. I use the bottom rack for the water pan so it doesn't sit directly on the fire box. That will make the water pan last longer and it ~might~ let more smoke out. It's a propane fueled smoker. I have fruit trees in the yard (duh), so I use wood from my trees. From now on, I'll sort out cherry, pear, and plum in separate stocks; for now it's all mixed so I don't know what I use.

I think next time I run it, I'm going to fill it fairly full, then freeze some of the food. I figure that's the way to conserve both propane and wood. I like lots of smoke. Some things I read say to smoke for several hours then transfer to an oven. I just leave it out in the smoker, and frankly, I tend to keep adding wood. Seems silly to run the thing just for a little salmon, tuna, and halibut. But oh my it was tasty, and fish only smokes an hour or two.

mmi6uzjaprfm.jpg

I also have a filbert tree. I'm wondering if it would make interesting smoke. I have read oak makes nice smoke, and I have a small oak tree I might experiment with if/when I ever prune off lower branches. I'm actually more interested in inoculating some oak branches with shiitake spawn.

Back to produce ... I want to smoke things like beets. I wonder what other vegetables would be good smoked. I might actually try to smoke some of my pears!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Grapes are getting ripe, too!

9bdtg6fcscy7.jpg
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    @mtaratoot Ive not had many smoked produce items but I’d venture to guess that these would be decent:
    -corn on the cob
    -rutabagas, turnips, parsnips
    -mushrooms (hearty ones)
    -romaine (it’s great grilled)
    -green cabbage wedges
    -broccoli
    -pears, peaches
    - pineapple