For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Lychee sorbet made with tinned fruit was awesome. I did enhance scoopability by blitzing the frozen granita mixture with an egg white in the food processor. Will try this with rambutan too, as I saw tins at the asian supermarket. I will continue to leave out the coconut and substitute vanilla for rosewater which really emphasizes the floral scent of those fruits. Next time will reduce the sugar to 35ml from the 78ml called for by the recipe. Maybe will look for a lychee liqueur instead of vodka which i added to enhance scoopability.
  • acpgee
    Options
    When I try the rambutan sorbet I am going to make a couple of changes to the recipe I saw online. Drain two tins of rambutan and boil down the syrup to 2/3 of the volume without adding sugar but adding lemongrass maybe in combination with kaffir lime leaves to to infuse. Blitz the fruit, and then blitz together with the strained syrup and a teaspoon or two of rosewater. Add a few tablespoons of lichee liqueur and freeze. Once frozen taste for sugar, adding more liqueur if necessary and blitz with an egg white in the food processor and re-freeze.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,275 Member
    Options
    I am curious what it's going to smell like in my house in a few days.

I made the cauliflower kimchi. I've never even eaten any, but it sounded good. I broke up a half head of cauliflower and soaked it in brine for nearly 24 hours. This afternoon I made paste with four fresh serrano chiles (I took out the seeds for looks, but unfortunately that means lots of the heat will go away too), a bunch of garlic & ginger, red chile flakes, a little Aleppo style chile flakes, some ancho powder, some soy sauce, and some fish sauce. I processed that to a paste. I sliced a jalapeno and mixed it all together. It all fit in a half-gallon jar with headspace to spare. I didn't want to press it down too hard, so I added some of the brine back in. I covered it with a clean plastic bag and filled the bag with more brine to hold everything under the liquid. I'm expecting it will ferment two weeks and be ready about the same time as the sauerkraut I started last week.

tb5yi4qsxh61.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I made the cauliflower kimchi. I've never even eaten any, but it sounded good. I broke up a half head of cauliflower and soaked it in brine for nearly 24 hours. This afternoon I made paste with four fresh serrano chiles (I took out the seeds for looks, but unfortunately that means lots of the heat will go away too), a bunch of garlic & ginger, red chile flakes, a little Aleppo style chile flakes, some ancho powder, some soy sauce, and some fish sauce. I processed that to a paste. I sliced a jalapeno and mixed it all together. It all fit in a half-gallon jar with headspace to spare. I didn't want to press it down too hard, so I added some of the brine back in. I covered it with a clean plastic bag and filled the bag with more brine to hold everything under the liquid. I'm expecting it will ferment two weeks and be ready about the same time as the sauerkraut I started last week.

tb5yi4qsxh61.jpg

I'll be fascinated to hear the after-ferment report, maybe even the "during". One of my former co-workers left a whole head of cauliflower in his desk drawer over a warm weekend, in an era when the AC was turned down in our building on weekends. I don't think I've experienced any smell more awful, or more surprisingly widely-dispersed, than what resulted by Monday morning. It cleared fairly fast, but while it lasted - ugh! 🤣

I'd bet the kimchi will taste good when done, though.

(Background: A gardening friend had brought him the cauliflower on Friday. He forgot to take it home.)
  • acpgee
    Options
    The hubby tried to suprise me with a mangosteen, but I suspect he actually bought a passion fruit. I googled, and apparently I need to wait until the skin is wrinkly for it to be ripe.
    2csg14v064qt.jpeg
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @VegjoyP
    Every one of those photos is speaking directly to my soul! Totally my type of food. But what is the first one? Apples or something else? Looks pretty delish.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    @VegjoyP
    Every one of those photos is speaking directly to my soul! Totally my type of food. But what is the first one? Apples or something else? Looks pretty delish.

Yes Macintosh with cinnamon Truvia sugar free maple syrup and peanut 🥜 butter ( Waldens but normally natural)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Pre-emptive Pumpkin question.

Historically, Pumpkin doesn’t really appear here in the Uk - in more recent years they’ve stocked various Pumpkin type squash/gourds for Hallowe’en decoration purposes mainly.

My daughter bought a bunch of these, this year. Various colours and sizes. She doesn’t know if they’re edible even, but is visiting this weekend and has offered them to me to cook with because she feels bad at potentially wasting food by dumping them in the bin.

I’ve said I’ll give it a go, never having cooked or eaten pumpkin 🤷‍♀️. What I’m asking here is are the pumpkins pictured below of an edible variety? I don’t want to poison anyone if not! 😂

k3myibwvwx44.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options

Historically, Pumpkin doesn’t really appear here in the Uk - in more recent years they’ve stocked various Pumpkin type squash/gourds for Hallowe’en decoration purposes mainly.

My daughter bought a bunch of these, this year. Various colours and sizes. She doesn’t know if they’re edible even, but is visiting this weekend and has offered them to me to cook with because she feels bad at potentially wasting food by dumping them in the bin.

I’ve said I’ll give it a go, never having cooked or eaten pumpkin 🤷‍♀️. What I’m asking here is are the pumpkins pictured below of an edible variety? I don’t want to poison anyone if not! 😂

I don't have personal experience with pumpkin varieties but this site seems to indicate all pumpkins (but not gourds) are edible..
    https://www.jessicagavin.com/types-of-pumpkin/

I have cooked pumpkin. My recommendation for recipes that call for cooked flesh is to peel after cooking as once the flesh is soft it easy to scoop out rather than trying to peel raw pumpkin which is very hard. I find it easiest to hack the pumkin in half, scoop out the seeds pulp then microwave or roast before scooping out the flesh.

My favourite thing to do with a small pumpkin or squash is Cambodian coconut custard cooked in a whole pumpkin. I normally make some incisions to remove the stem, leaving a hole large enough to scoop out seeds and pulp. Then fill the pumpkin with water to measure out how much custard to make to fill it. I use 1 egg to 100ml of coconut milk and a tablespoon of sugar, but keep in mind that an egg is 40ml when calculating the amount of custard needed. Most traditional recipes call for steaming, but I cook at 300 watts in the microwave until the custard is set. You want to keep the temperature around 70C (when egg starts to set) but lower than 80C (when eggs curdle).
    https://www.cambodiarecipe.com/recipe/cambodian-pumpkin-coconut-custard/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Most of those look like squashes common in the US, so I'd say yes.

Here's a resource: https://www.jessicagavin.com/types-of-squash/

I also normally chop up the squash with peel, scrape out the seeds (which you can also clean and roast separately) and roast the halves or smaller pieces. I might cut the peel off butternut to make soup, but that's the only time I bother.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I think the reason some pumpkins/squashes are sold for eating and others for decor is more about whether they're optimized for eating or cuteness. The ones bred for looks may just be stringy, dry, or otherwise not as tasty. I don't know of any that are poisonous . . . though I'm not an expert.

Reportedly, there's one called "stinking gourd" used as a medicinal that can be poisonous. But there are various articles saying that the common decorative ones are non-poisonous. This is an example:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/gourd/are-gourds-edible.htm

The ones in your photo all look pretty mainstream, though - look like ones that would be sold for eating here.
  • acpgee
    Options
    The passion fruit on it's own was fragrant but quite tart so I had it as a sauce on a flan naranje. That's a Spanish baked custard where orange juice replaces sweetened milk.
    anrn7dhx56bt.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options

k3myibwvwx44.jpeg

The green one in front is an Acorn Squash.

The larger orange one on the right looks like a pie pumpkin.

The large white one also looks like an eating pumpkin with lighter flesh.

The other two look like some variety of Carnival Squash.

I bet the Acorn and Pie pumpkin will have the softest flesh when cooked. The others will still be tasty. There's lots of ways to cook them. One really easy way is carefully cut in half lengthwise. Keep your fingers out of the way. Remove the seeds; you can save them to make pepitos. For that you'll want to soak them in salt water, remove all the stringy flesh, and then let them air dry. Toss with oil, salt, and seasonings and roast. They make great toppings for squash soup by the way. Or just eat 'em.

Place the halves of squash cut-side down on a cooking tray with a little water. The water keeps the squash from drying out as much; the inside steams since the steam underneath can't get out. Bake at 350 until soft; 45 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the squash.

For smaller squash, you can serve the half or cut into wedges or remove the flesh. It's good with butter of course....
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

tb5yi4qsxh61.jpg

I'll be fascinated to hear the after-ferment report, maybe even the "during". One of my former co-workers left a whole head of cauliflower in his desk drawer over a warm weekend, in an era when the AC was turned down in our building on weekends. I don't think I've experienced any smell more awful, or more surprisingly widely-dispersed, than what resulted by Monday morning. It cleared fairly fast, but while it lasted - ugh! 🤣

(Background: A gardening friend had brought him the cauliflower on Friday. He forgot to take it home.)

I came home for lunch yesterday and was trying to figure out what that smell was. Could have been one of the last tomatoes I'm trying to get to ripen in windows; some were visibly rotting. Got rid of those. Then it dawned on me; I opened the bucket that has the cauliflower ferment. It seems the next organism has taken over the fermentation, and the smell has changed. It's different from kimchi or sauerkraut, but similar a bit. It's very interesting to observe the transformation. I'm really looking forward to trying it, but it's only halfway through the recommended two week ferment. Funny; kimchi is three or four days, sauerkraut is at least three weeks, and... who knows about this cauliflower. For sauerkraut, the third organism doesn't really get cranking until the third week. Some people only ferment kimchi overnight or not at all.

It's all good!

I wonder what I will do next. Maybe a traditional radish kimchi. I need to go to one of our Asian markets to get some Korean radish. I think that's the traditional base for it. I also might need another refrigerator if I keep producing faster than I can eat.....
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

tb5yi4qsxh61.jpg

I came home for lunch yesterday and was trying to figure out what that smell was. Could have been one of the last tomatoes I'm trying to get to ripen in windows; some were visibly rotting. Got rid of those. Then it dawned on me; I opened the bucket that has the cauliflower ferment. It seems the next organism has taken over the fermentation, and the smell has changed. It's different from kimchi or sauerkraut, but similar a bit. It's very interesting to observe the transformation. I'm really looking forward to trying it, but it's only halfway through the recommended two week ferment. Funny; kimchi is three or four days, sauerkraut is at least three weeks, and... who knows about this cauliflower. For sauerkraut, the third organism doesn't really get cranking until the third week. Some people only ferment kimchi overnight or not at all.

It's all good!

I wonder what I will do next. Maybe a traditional radish kimchi. I need to go to one of our Asian markets to get some Korean radish. I think that's the traditional base for it. I also might need another refrigerator if I keep producing faster than I can eat.....

The updates have been really interesting: Thanks for the continuing reports. I've only done sauerkraut, so limited experience. I always felt that the kraut was less obnoxious smelling than often claimed, but maybe I'm just tolerant of smells.
  • TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a "house salad" phase at the moment.

We didn't have time to get a winter vege garden going this year and I flat out "refused" to pay $6 for a head of brocolli at the supermarket. Sooooo...

I fired up the hydroponics in the garage so we can take freshly picked leaves as required
    My daughter grew some cucumbers
    MIL pitched in with some homegrown carrots
    I make my own cheese (dairy farmers) so I add a little camembert to my salads too
    And the chickens contribute fresh eggs if I want some optional boiled egg
    The only purchased things IN my salad is the pumpkin and sesame seeds

It's pretty much our staple at the moment, and we just add different meat toppings.