Back after many years

Options
I think the last time I logged in was FIVE YEARS AGO! A lot has happened since then. I retired then got stuck inside my home due to COVID. I'm back to square one but ready to try and get this weight off again. I am 75 years old, 5'6", 250 pounds and want to get down to 175. Not going to count calories this time. I'm following Intermittent Fasting and decreasing sugars and flour products. I have to come up with a sustainable lifestyle!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I will disagree with not counting calories, as would most on here. I can tell you that personally (which is all I can attest to), I can fit a STUNNING amount of calories into any given time period, be it a few hours or a whole day, with or without 'breads' or 'added sugar' products. I wouldn't be surprised if you lose weight for awhile, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't stop after some time. Calories are sneaky little buggers, and manage to hide in large amounts in small packages, where we might not expect them. Even when I am maintaining and not logging, like right now, I will weigh certain food items to keep 'portion creep' from setting in.

Cliffs Notes of Weight Loss:
    • small, sustainable changes
    • Understand weight fluctuations are normal. Thinks of a roller coaster, not a steep mountain slope down. Some weeks up, some weeks down. Its the OVERALL TREND that matters
    • Learn to weigh your food ON A FOOD SCALE
    • Learn how to find ACCURATE DATABASE ENTRIES
    • BE ACTIVE - get off your butt and MOVE. Find SOMETHING you enjoy. If your activity is limited, find ways to move that you are ABLE to do
    • Deprivation is the key to Binging and falling off the wagon. Learn how to fit your favorite things in regularly. There are no 'bad foods' Just 'bad quantities'.
    • One 'bad' day will not undo your deficit.
    • You did not gain the weight quickly. You will not lose it quickly. Better to lose it slowly, and KEEP IT OFF, then lose it quick, and gain it all back and more!

Useful Links

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

and basically ... all of these :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • Mumzy_44
    Mumzy_44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi divinitylove
    I am with you on the intermittent fasting but I am still counting calories on here. Like you I have been absent from myfitnesspal for a long time. I am 77 years old and weigh 258 lbs - like you would like to be 175 lbs. I just started back on my weight loss journey. I live in north central Indiana and it's winter here so until recently my only exercise was mowing the lawn - so that exercise option is gone until the spring. I invested in a good recumbent exercycle that I am now using. I did best with intermittent fasting and why I went back to my old eating habits I just don't know. But I seriously need this weight off.
    I do know that after a week or two last time with IF I lost cravings for food. I hope we both stick to it and reach our goals
    all the best
    Monica
  • abbyhodgkinson
    abbyhodgkinson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm back again too. I've used the 16:8 method and cut carbohydrates at dinner and managed quite well. I never thought I could fast but I did it well. I did put all my food in my diary on mfp and followed the calories too mainly because I am a binge eater and need to be aware of how much I'm eating. Happy to be friends if you need support!!!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    OP, Callsitlikeiseeit’s comments are spot on, please consider them.

@callsitlikeiseeit “calories are sneaky little buggers” —so true, so true!
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Mumzy_44 wrote: »
    Hi divinitylove
    I am with you on the intermittent fasting but I am still counting calories on here. Like you I have been absent from myfitnesspal for a long time. I am 77 years old and weigh 258 lbs - like you would like to be 175 lbs. I just started back on my weight loss journey. I live in north central Indiana and it's winter here so until recently my only exercise was mowing the lawn - so that exercise option is gone until the spring. I invested in a good recumbent exercycle that I am now using. I did best with intermittent fasting and why I went back to my old eating habits I just don't know. But I seriously need this weight off.
    I do know that after a week or two last time with IF I lost cravings for food. I hope we both stick to it and reach our goals
    all the best
    Monica

I just now saw your reply and I appreciate your comment. I'm sending you a friend request and perhaps we can be supportive of each other.

It is now Oct 2022 and I have gone on to lose a total of 60 pounds (from 270 to 210) WITHOUT MEASURING FOOD OR COUNTING CALORIES, and I feel great. I spent my whole life dieting, counting calories, feeling hungry and it did no good. Whatever weight I lost, I gained back and then some. IF has been a real game changer. No more yo-yo dieting. The weight I lose stays off for good.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Hey I'm back again too. I've used the 16:8 method and cut carbohydrates at dinner and managed quite well. I never thought I could fast but I did it well. I did put all my food in my diary on mfp and followed the calories too mainly because I am a binge eater and need to be aware of how much I'm eating. Happy to be friends if you need support!!!

I just now saw your reply. Thanks. I've now lost 60 pounds without measuring and counting calories. At age 75 and having gone on every diet known to man, I know about how many calories are in what foods and drinks. I can't spend every day obsessing and evaluating each and every morsel I eat and writing it down. I use that time to be active and pursue my hobbies that I'm passionate about. Food isn't everything. I just eat my 1-2 low carb meals and DON'T SNACK in-between. I don't sweat what I weigh but it continues to decrease and my energy increases. IF is a game changer.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Have sent you a friend request