New and need support

Options
Hi all I'm new here I've just started this diet today I'm not going to lie I am feeling so hungry now and I've had my calorie intake for the day. I've recently quit slimming world as I can't afford to keep up with buying all their food you need to it. So I've tried this. Starting this has made me relized how much I have over eaten. So my old relationship came to an end in the lockdown as I found out he was cheating on me. So I piled 3 and a half stone. Not planned. But I lost control of eating and stopped exercises. If anyone can please advise me on how to keep going and foods that perhaps fill me up more so I don't get tempted to have a binge I'd be really grateful. I do feel over whelmed with how much weight I have to loose sometimes I don't know where to start. Thank you

Replies

• sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fell free to add me. I'm looking for MFP friends.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,160 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your stats, goal, chosen weight loss rate and calorie goal, some general advice:
    - if you chose a fast rate of loss, you might consider choosing a slower rate of loss, which will give you more calories to consume. Even if it's just temporarily, to let your body get used to a lower calorie intake
    - satiation is very individual. Some things you can try is to increase your protein intake and fiber intake. It's also worth experimenting worth meal timing. Some people do well with fewer, larger meals-others prefer smaller more frequent meals throughout the day.
    - being more active is also a way you can increase your allowed calories
  • M4r3z
    M4r3z Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you want to add me I just started here too
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Lietchi gave you good advice above.

It's OK if it takes a while to figure out what keeps you full. It's also OK if you go over your calorie goal a bit while you're figuring it out.

The major plus of a calorie counting method is that - if you put in the work - you can figure out how to lose weight and later maintain your healthy goal weight, eating foods you personally enjoy, find practical and affordable to buy/cook. You can make your eating an easy-to-sustain habit, not some weird fad diet, or buying expensive diet foods or whatever. You're trying to figure out a happy eating pattern you can follow long term, not punishing yourself for past weight gain, y'know?

When you do that, the first bit will be a learning process, and learning processes involve some failures and adjustments. Don't freak out about that, it's just how it works.

I get that you're over your calorie goal today. Switching to a slower loss rate as Lietchi suggests may help with that. What I wouldn't suggest you do is starve for the rest of the day. I'd suggest you think of something to eat that you may find pretty filling, that's not super high in calories.

Most people are going to find one of the following filling: Protein, fats, or high-volume/low-cal foods. For today, I'd suggest you consider eating some calorie-efficient protein (maybe chicken or tuna if you have some available?) and/or some non-starchy veggies (like cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, or that sort of thing, if you have some - frozen is fine). See if one of those things help you feel more full.

A specific food many people find filling is a whole baked potato, just regular white potato. They're surprisingly calorie-efficient and nutritious - it's the fatty toppings we usually use that make them truly high calorie. If you need something on it, consider something like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese if you have some of that, or just slicing it and using some seasoned salt. That may not be gourmet eating, but it might be filling.

A second food some people find filling is oatmeal/porridge. Again, what you put on it matters. Some Greek yogurt or fruit would be good options, if you have some.

You might even find that something like hot herbal tea or hot broth helps you feel full, with hardly any calories at all: Worth a try!

The point is, you haven't lost the battle if you end up a little over calories today. Don't try to white-knuckle it through (and maybe have some hunger consequences again tomorrow). Instead, try to eat something moderate calorie, and start working on figuring out what you personally find tasty and filling. It will be fine. You can do this!

Wishing you much success!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Cliffs Notes of Weight Loss:
    • small, sustainable changes
    • Understand weight fluctuations are normal. Thinks of a roller coaster, not a steep mountain slope down. Some weeks up, some weeks down. Its the OVERALL TREND that matters
    • Learn to weigh your food ON A FOOD SCALE
    • Learn how to find ACCURATE DATABASE ENTRIES
    • BE ACTIVE - get off your butt and MOVE. Find SOMETHING you enjoy. If your activity is limited, find ways to move that you are ABLE to do
    • Deprivation is the key to Binging and falling off the wagon. Learn how to fit your favorite things in regularly. There are no 'bad foods' Just 'bad quantities'.
    • One 'bad' day will not undo your deficit.
    • You did not gain the weight quickly. You will not lose it quickly. Better to lose it slowly, and KEEP IT OFF, then lose it quick, and gain it all back and more!

Useful Links

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

and basically ... all of these :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest