Feeling really hungry. Suggestions?

Options
Hi everyone!

I tend to get really hungry in the morning and can't seem to find something that keeps me full for more than a hour or so. Once lunch time comes around I'm starving. Here is a typical breakfast for me:

Starbucks Grande Iced Coffee with soy (unsweetened)
Activia Light yogurt (or Chobani nonfat greek yogurt)
Banana
1 packet of Trader Joes Complete Oatmeal

Usually a few hours later I'll eat a fiberone bar as a snack.

However, I still feel really hungry! Is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have an good ideas?

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I don' t know how it would fit into your overall caloric goals, but I have luck with nuts--almonds specifically.
  • joanieizme
    joanieizme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know for me, sometimes it isn't hunger... I think it is, but it's really my body signalling for water. How much water do you drink at that time?
  • kassied09
    Options
    I have the same problem, but at night. Usually I just try to eat fruits and veggies since they are low in calories. I spread them out over time, but I too still feel hungry. Working out really helps. I think it will just take time to get used to it. =/
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Get in some lean protein. It will help stay full longer!
  • lisaweaver3
    lisaweaver3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    for me, I find that having coffee throughout the day works to curb my hunger. Now, of course, it's decaf, but it's still coffee. And I make sure my snacks are vegetables. Fruits (like apples) tend to stimulate my appetite. I also find that once I added about ten almonds to my breakfast-my hunger was substantially less. It must be the protein and fat. A quick walk can sometimes tamp down the hunger pains, too. Good luck!

My breakfast consists of one slice of Ezekiel bread, 1 tbsp country crock, 1 cup skim milk, and ten almonds.
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know for me, sometimes it isn't hunger... I think it is, but it's really my body signalling for water. How much water do you drink at that time?

Hmmm I didn't think of that. Maybe I'll try drinking more water in the morning.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    What you're eating is mostly carbs and sugars, it's not surprising that you're getting hungry again quickly. Add some protein to your breakfast. The Greek yogurt is a good start, but not the Activia, because Greek yogurt has a lot of protein. If you can, try the plain yogurt because even flavored Greek yogurt has a lot of sugar.

Try replacing one of your regular items with an egg or two. If you don't have time (or like to) cook in the mornings, hard boil a half dozen of them on the weekend and then you can grab and go.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Incoorporate more protien in your breakfast to keep you fuller longer and drink plenty of water. At least 40 oz before lunch and you should stay fuller.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I make a fruit blend in the morning (6:00) and then eat a "breakfast" item something like yogurt or oatmeal (9:00). So i essentially split my breakfast into two. I then eat lunch at 11:30.

And of course water throughout
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Alot of good suggestions. I would eat more than the fibre bar for the followup snack - maybe eat another meal closer to the caloric amount in your initial breakfast / first meal. Later in the day, taper off your calories and make your meals more rich in protein. Good luck...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    protein! Boiled eggs...if you want to save calories just have the whites, they pack a protein punch without the calories
  • sickhei1
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean ceral (1 cuip) and greek yogurt (Fage or Yoplait) helps me. Lots of protein. Could also try hard boiled egg. Lots of water!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If I eat sugar I am more hungry than if I don't. I had a banana, 100 calorie Thomas English muffin with more fiber than regular ones, 1 scrambled egg, 2 slices turkey bacon and a wedge of laughing cow cheese. Made the muffin and ingredients after into a sandwich. It held me over. I also noticed peanut butter use to work for me too.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Maybe try spacing your breakfast out a little bit. Keep the oatmeal and add a couple of eggs. If you don't have time to cook an egg every morning, just pre-boil and refrigerate them. If you are hungry an hour later grab the yogurt and some fruit. I find an apple keeps me feeling fuller way longer then a banana due to it's fiber content. I'm not so sure about the fiber one bar. I've never tried them before so I'm not so sure how "filling" it is. Also drink up! I find Tea and water to really help keep me full in between meals. The coffee may be dehydrating you so you may be mistaking thirst for hunger. *shrug*

...It would help more to know your calorie allowance for breakfast and morning snack together.
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    up the protein in your breakfast and add a protein-based snack in between breakfast and lunch. I usually have a serving of almonds or other nuts. It curbs the hunger considerably
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will try adding more protein, drinking more water in the morning, spacing things out, etc. I'll allergic to egg yokes, so egg whites for me all the way. I like the almond idea. Good snack too. ;-)
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone said this yet, how about some fat? It's higher in calories than carbs and protein, but is a necessary macronutrient. I find it to be a great stabilizer of hunger response as well as mood.
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ok this may sound wierd so take it or leave it. Eat bigger in the morning, A little less at noon , and then light at night.
    Also I don't see any fat in your morning meal. Fat is necessary. May I suggest adding some coconut oil. Try cooking up 3 or 4 egg whites with coconut oil for a day or two and see what happens. I also agree with the water suggestion.
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've found, water, protein, and fiber to be helpful. For a snack I will sometimes have an apple, hard boiled egg, or nuts. Today I feel super hungry, but I noticed I only had one cup of water so far and I usually have about 3-4 by now.
  • scleesh
    scleesh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The Jimmy Dean D-Lights are good and only 260 calories. It's an English Muffin with Turkey Sausage, Egg whites and cheese (has 18 grams of protein). That and lots of water has me stuffed until 1:30. They do make different ones too. There is one with canadian bacon, egg whites and cheese on a honey wheat muffin for only 210 calories.