Daily Meditation

Options
Hi, I’ve been meditating and learning new meditative techniques for about 6 months now. I used to meditate all the time when I was into martial arts but now I do it for stress and to allow myself time to just be in the moment and think more clearly. I use meditative music sometimes, enjoy dead silence and concentrate on my breathing, and even started conscience meditation. Between breathing, translucent, mindfulness, and guided I have learned to take this practice more serious lately and it has helped me see “me” and begin my journey towards true recovery. I wanted to share and see if anyone else is doing this or wants to start with me or just share your stories.

Replies

• elaroch05
    elaroch05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also do meditative techniques...yes, sometimes guided or just focusing on breathing...sometimes I do knitting or walking meditations too, where I'm focusing on the stitches (knit one, knit two etc or whatever the pattern). Really, just taking the moments to be present.
  • M4r3z
    M4r3z Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%! Once I was able to take the few minutes to actually meditate it has helped me to see things a little clearer and worry less about other influences. Life is more enjoyable when you set health and fitness goals for the right reasons. Also, I have learned to be more “in the moment” and enjoy life more. I don’t harp on the past, I live in the present and plan for a better future.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start a meditation practice - but I don't seem to have what it takes. My mind wanders. I'll get random itches. I'll remember that stupid thing I said that embarrassed me 12 years ago. How do you guys focus on staying present?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    I'd like to start a meditation practice - but I don't seem to have what it takes. My mind wanders. I'll get random itches. I'll remember that stupid thing I said that embarrassed me 12 years ago. How do you guys focus on staying present?

Congratulations, you're normal!

I'm not an expert, but IMO, one reason we call it a meditation practice is that we're all practicing, not necessarily performing, y'know?

Like anything, the more one practices the thing, the better one gets at doing it . . . probably not perfect, though - ever.

The usual instruction is just to "gently" bring your mind back to the meditation as soon as you realize it's wandered. Yes, that wandering thing happens over and over again. With practice, one gets better at staying focused on whatever the meditation is.

Y'know how some people say "I don't do yoga because I'm not flexible enough" and all the yoga people say ". . . but that's one reason why we do yoga, to get that flexible." I think meditation is kind of like that: The fact that we're not too good at focusing at it is one of the best evidences that we can benefit from practicing. We meditate to get better at focusing, not because we're good at it already.

Just another danged thing that takes time, repetition, patience - I fear. 😆
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

As AnnPT77 explained so well, your wandering mind is normal.

One thing you can do is establish a silent witness or observer. Mentally stand aside from yourself and just observe everything that happens. Thoughts, passions, memories will come and go. Try not to react. Just watch and listen. Keep bringing yourself back.

Following your breath and being aware of physical sensations is a good way to anchor yourself to the present, just like an anchor keeps a boat from drifting away in the water.

Thoughts and feelings often go hand-in-hand with physical postures, so relax your muscles and some of those thoughts and feelings may go away. Tense and then relax your muscles, starting with your feet and working up to your head and face (and remember to relax your hands). Focus on your breathing as an anchor, including how your breath is cool when you inhale and warm when you exhale, warmed by your bloodstream.

Finally, you can repeat a phrase to keep your mind from wandering. "Not thoughts, not body, not feelings, I am" is a classic one.

Meditation is a wonderful practice on many levels.
  • Hollis100
    Options
    elaroch05 wrote: »
    I also do meditative techniques...yes, sometimes guided or just focusing on breathing...sometimes I do knitting or walking meditations too, where I'm focusing on the stitches (knit one, knit two etc or whatever the pattern). Really, just taking the moments to be present.

I like your awareness practices. I also do walking meditations. I especially try to follow my breath and physical presence at work, in situations where I would usually lose myself. Difficult to do but rewarding.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Meditation is a wonderful tool to learn yourself and human-ness, too. I appreciate that I can just sit in my situation and learn to be compassionate as my mind may wander, I may feel uncomfortable, or other sensations. Just sit with it. Look at it at. Try not to judge it. It's golden.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

When I first started, I found repeating focus words or short phrases helped.

"I inhale Joy, I exhale Release" was a good starter. When my mind wandered, it was easier to bring myself back to my breath by bringing myself back to the core words Joy /Release. Then with time, it was easier to bring myself back to my breath without the words.

Now, I often still start this way and then after a few breath cycles am able to let go of the language.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I've tried yoga and breathing meditatikns before but hadn't worked for me - what I do every day, not always in the evening is either a jigsaw puzzle or coloring. Have a few coloring books that I can choose what I'd like to work on. Shut my phone off 1.5-2 hours before bed so am not interrupted or if I do it earlier in the day put it on silent
  • tuckerj51
    tuckerj51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a mantra for losing weight, staying focused on healthy eating and remaining motivated while on a weight loss journey?
  • Hollis100
    edited January 2022
    Options
    tuckerj51 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a mantra for losing weight, staying focused on healthy eating and remaining motivated while on a weight loss journey?

I have a personal mantra that came to me recently, three words that would sound like nothing to other people, but the three words make me think of the big picture of what I really want in life -- and they stop me from doing all kinds of behavior that's useless or harmful. including eating too many sweets.

You might ask yourself what you really want in life, what's the most important to you. Find a short phrase that reminds you of your own big picture and has emotional meaning.

Over the years, motivation for me has come and gone. It helps to connect with other people, either reporting here on MFP or taking a class or something (classes are hard for some of us now due to the pandemic).

Hope this helps!
  • Andysanch11
    Andysanch11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I currently have no mantra, but I've just begun meditating for 10 minutes for the past three days in an effort to quit addictive eating. So far it does a great deal in organizing my thought process, be more proactive, and ease anxiety I may be carrying in my mind.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I do mindfulness every day, for anyone starting out HeadSpace is probably the easiest way to get into it.
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Insight Timer is my go-to for all things meditation. They have fantastic yoga nidra meditations for sleep, courses to help you learn how to meditate and I'm currently doing a course to assist me with my overeating issues. It's a great app and there is a lot offered for the free version as well as a Plus version which isn't horribly expensive for a year subscription.
    I have also used and liked the Calm app, but I feel there is a lot wider variety of stuff on Insight Timer.
  • Br00klynbaby90
    Br00klynbaby90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been meditating daily and would love to know any meditation practices you guys find helpful I have been using the app insight timer and it really is great