Binge Eating Didorder

Options
Does anyone else suffer from Binge Eating Disorder? I've come to realize, and my Dr agrees, that I have a Binge Eating Disorder. I'm eating to cope with stress or sadness or just to have something to do. We've started treating my ADHD and that has helped and were going to revisit the discussion in 3 months.

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend therapy. There are so many different reasons, causes, thoughts, feelings, etc, associated with binge eating (and other eating disorders)...you may find it to be very helpful. Insight can be gained and coping skills developed. Be sure to obtain a therapist who works with people with eating disorders, not all therapists do. I wish you the best.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I don't have it, but quite a few people here in the forums discuss it from time to time. I've suggested it might be a good group to start, but not sure if anyone ever did it.

And just a reminder, there are some eating disorder resources here on MFP if anyone ever need them.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625071-Eating-Disorder-Resources
  • chubby_gazelle
    chubby_gazelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too! Spent around 9 years now trying to kick it. Learn more about my self and what causes me to binge the more time goes by. I've had therapy, medication (SSRIs) and read all the various books etc. For me I think my binging links with mild-moderate depression and challenging this by exercise, being outdoors, an awesome friendship circle and a super-interesting job helps. For years I resisted the "meal plan" approach but in the end it is one of the things that has helped the most, when well nourished with wholesome food, at equal time intervals so I don't get too hungry It is easier to address the emotional issues that lead to binging. For me there was no magic bullet, therapy and medication were an epic flop, but with time, and self-analysis it has got better!
  • CarolinaSweetheart93
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I do. I need a lot of structure to not binge. Calorie counting, eating schedule - it takes everything I've got to hold the line against binging. Fortunately, I've been able to (mostly) succeed, but every once in a while I give in and can easily - EASILY, without breaking a sweat - gain a pound a day from binging (not talking water weight here, I'm saying 3500 over maintenance). If I go off the rails for a week, we're talking 7-8 lb setback. I can control it 95 % of the time, but it's always lurking in the shadows nearby.

This is me. I've started pre planning my meals and being VERY strict about it. It's like if I slip one time it turns into an avalanche.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I thought that I had my binge eating in control after therapy. I am an emotional binger. When I binge, I eat to the point of vomiting and diarrhea. Usually episodes last for 3 days then cease. While therapy eliminated the shame and inferiority that my mother has raised me with, a new issue has come up. I now suffer from imposter syndrome. Have successfully lost weight to a normal bmi, but struggle with self identity.
    If you had to define yourself, not by what you do, your hobbies, your relationships, or your appearance, who would you really be? What kind of energy and people would you attract? This is where the most recent binge has led me.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have this. I have addressed it various ways through the decades. Hugs to you.
  • denicerbrachmann
    Options
    I am a binger. I just gained 20 lbs through my last 5 months of losing control. I ate everything in site. I weighed myself yesterday for the first time in 5 months. I feel so at odds when i dont eat, it is so hard to control. I know from the past. The only thing that works is tracking. Wish me luck.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have this too. I bet there are a lot of us out there unfortunately. What helps me is eating enough. When I binge I feel so awful I tend to restrict the next day or days. Ends up to be a vicious cycle.