Always Low On Protein...

Options
Does that mean it's time for protein powder?
I only have protein at dinner as it is tough to make healthy protein at lunch at my place of work. I never have it for breakfast unless it's the weekend when I can take my time making eggs.

I have turned my nose at protein powder for a while, but now I am starting to think it may be the key to my ultra slow, creeping weight loss. Plus I want to heal/ rebuild muscle after completing my workouts (I am completing the Rushfit program now).

What are your thoughts on this... I'll search for good protein powders if we all agree that it would be a good route to take.

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    its important to eat protein throughout the day...and that's precisely what protein powder is for...a quick protein fix. get one without a lot of fat and carbs. I use Protein Freeze (which is probably still on sale because they are about to, or have recently updated the product with Fit Freeze). I mix the Protein Freeze with water, stir, and drink. pretty tasty. 130 calories with 22 grams of protein. However, its called Protein Freeze because you can also freeze it with peanut butter to max ice cream and popsicles (recipes on the website). I haven't done this and I'm looking forward to Fit Freeze because you're supposed to be able to make that stuff without the PB.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Does that mean it's time for protein powder?
    I only have protein at dinner as it is tough to make healthy protein at lunch at my place of work. I never have it for breakfast unless it's the weekend when I can take my time making eggs.

I have turned my nose at protein powder for a while, but now I am starting to think it may be the key to my ultra slow, creeping weight loss. Plus I want to heal/ rebuild muscle after completing my workouts (I am completing the Rushfit program now).

What are your thoughts on this... I'll search for good protein powders if we all agree that it would be a good route to take.

Rushfit is a killer program, props to you! I like to hardboil about a dozen eggs at a time then store them in the fridge, that way I've got them already on tap for a few days. Also, nuts and nut butters are great source of protein and fat. I like to lather my bananas with PB.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt's full of protein, you can buy pre-mixed protein drinks to have at work (i really like atkins), for breakfast I had the same problem, no time. I got an idea on here to make egg muffins; make them on the weekend then freeze them wrapped individually so that you can take out one and a time. They freeze really well and are really easy to make.

here's my personal version:
    12 large eggs
    1 whole bell pepper (chopped small)
    1 zucchini (chopped small)
    1 portobello mushroom cap (chopped small)
    1 cup frozen chopped spinach
    1 cup your choice thick sliced lunchmeat chopped into small pieces
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1) Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and put burner on medium-high heat. Add all chopped veggies and cook to your desired tenderness. Once cooked, put veggies in a strainer and run under cold water for a minute or two to cool, then press with a spatula or large spoon to get as myuch moisture out of the veggies as possible (cooling them so they dont do funny things to the uncooked eggs and pressing them so that when you later re-heat to eat them a bunch of water wont drain all over the plate)
    2) Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a muffin pan (12 regular sized muffins) well with cooking spray.
    3) In a large mixing bowl crack 12 whole large eggs and beat with whisk until yolks and whites are well blended. Add your veggies, cheese, and small chopped lunchmeat- mix well.
    4) Get a ladel and fill each muffin tin to the top with egg mixture and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or so (it's a good idea to lay a sheet of foil under the muffin tin when cooking JUST IN CASE it runs over. Typically though they cook outside in so they rise like little souffles without running all over). Eggs will no longer be shiny and will be a light brown color on top. (finish under low broiler if you want a browner look to the top)
    5) Cool completely then individually wrap each egg muffin in saran wrap. Store in a ziplock bag and freeze. Take out enough for breakfast each morning and defrost in the microwave (or put in fridge the night before to defrost).

makes 12, about 118 calories each, 11g protein, 7g fat each. REALLY easy, and easy to changeup ingredients if you get tired of them
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    How tight is your schedule if you aint got time to boil an egg?
  • gracemleone
    Options
    bump, as I have the same problem being a pesca-vegetarian. I eat fish but not enough, looking for suggestions for high protein foods or maybe protein powder like the OP.
  • Jacy707
    Options
    I have jerky on hand for a snack throughout the day, its a very low calorie, filling snack.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I used to not want to do protein powder either. But I went through an illness in the summer and couldn't eat, so I got some just to keep my energy up, and continued using it after I got well. It's really kind of wonderful.

But you don't have to do protein powder to get protein. Take some hard-boiled eggs with your lunch, and cut them up in a salad if you dont' want to eat them plain. Or a can of tuna or canned chicken (also good in a salad, or a sandwich). Grilled chicken. If you don't have a fridge, just carry them in an insulated lunchbox with a cold pack. Easy peasy.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I never thought of pre-boiling eggs. That seems ridiculously easy. Thanks for the suggestion!
    And I will look into that powder!

I have always avoided nuts and PB because of the fat content. I think I have a complex lol
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think a protein drink after working out is a great idea, and maybe at breakfast if that is easier for you. It is hard for me to get enough protein most of the time, but is also one of my goals. On days where I get 100 grams I find I am not hungry and don't crave junk food as much.
    I like the protein powder I got at GNC, it is called Amp Wheybolic, I think. I got chocolate and vanilla and they are both good just mixed with water, or blended with a frozen banana when I am at home. It is about 100 calories per scoop and 20 grams of protein per scoop.
    I did Jillian Michaels vanilla protein shake and it was really tasty but only 15 grams of protein and almost 200 calories, as I recall. It was premixed in packs of four which was convenient and not terribly expensive.
    I don't know what your arangement at work is like, we have a fridge and microwave so I would make up a crustless quiche with eggs and egg white (and ham and mushroom and onion for me) in a pie plate and had it work to take a piece every morning when I got in and that was helpful for me.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I never thought of pre-boiling eggs. That seems ridiculously easy. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have always avoided nuts and PB because of the fat content. I think I have a complex lol

Fat is not a bad thing, especially the fat in nuts. Those are good fats. Don't worry about them. :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    bump, as I have the same problem being a pesca-vegetarian. I eat fish but not enough, looking for suggestions for high protein foods or maybe protein powder like the OP.

Nuts, beans, lentils, legumes, veggie burgers, protein shakes and bars.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Fat gives you energy, specially for your rushfit workouts. The body needs fat and cholesterol to function properly.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I used to be an anti protein powder person, until I've seen the results using it after my weight training workouts. I can definatley see the definition more than I used to, and it keeps me full longer as well. I use Six Star Pro Nutrition Professional Strength Whey Protein: Elite Series. It doesn't taste that bad (I love the Vanilla Creme one) and it works.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, greek yogurt singles, tuna/salmon pouches, nuts, jerky, string cheese. All portable. That being said, protein powders can be a really economical way to get your fix. Just be careful of GNC's prices. Try buying it online. I use Optimum Nutrition and Beverly International brands interchangeably. Tastes pretty good, not too sweet, easy on the stomach.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I am having a really hard time with finding a greek yogurt that isn't jam packed with sugar...
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    my morning omelets =

spray nonstick spray on a bowl, pour in liquid eggs, toss in any meats or veggies, microwave...from entering the kitchen to sitting down to eat = 4 minutes...

I like buying the precooked bag of turkey sausage and using that and spinach... or buy cubed ham and add broccoli...while it microwaves, toast a slice of whole grain bread and put some peanut butter on it....
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend trying to get more protein from natural foods than from powders or bars first. As mentioned Nuts, Eggs, Beans and Tofu are all great sources of protein that can be easily prepared ahead of time. If you simply cannot get enough protein in that way, then yes you can turn to the powder or bars (I'd recommend the powder before bars since bars usually have a lot of carbs and sugar alcohols). There's nothing wrong with the powders, it's just if you can get it from regular foods it's a more sustainable and cheaper approach.