HRM question

Options
I am looking to buy a good HRM. The Polor F6 was suggested to me... Thoughts? Other suggestions? I've never bought one before, and I want to make sure I get a good one!

*edited for typos!

Replies

• TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for a HRM, and was suggested the Polar FT6 as well (did you mean that version?)

If you live in the US, Amazon.com is selling them for $129, compared to the MSRP of $284 that's pretty good!
    I'd definitely hop on that deal if they shipped to my country.

You can even go swimming with that baby!
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking for a HRM, and was suggested the Polar FT6 as well (did you mean that version?)

If you live in the US, Amazon.com is selling them for $129, compared to the MSRP of $284 that's pretty good!

I did, sorry fir the typo! I found one for $78 here, which is by far the best price I've seen. Usually I was seeing $120 plus (like you said, on Amazon). Just wanted to make sure it was a good one!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it works pretty well for me. I'm not sure which one you're referring to though...don't see an FT6 on their website. They have an FT60...is that the one you're talking about? I would definitely by mine again....might have gone for the cheaper FT4 though since there isn't much of a difference.
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    I postively LOVE my HRM. I have the Polar FT7 and I think I paid maybe 90 dollars for it. It is the most important investment I have made in this journey. I am able to accurately track my exercise calories, and in the middle of exercise, if I want to quit, I can just look at the calories burned and that motivates me to keep exercising. I highly recommend it.
  • blebreck
    Options
    All depends on your needs and price range. Polar makes good HRMs and are popular because they seem to be the only ones that can transmit a signal to treadmills, stat. bikes, etc. Garmin makes GPS enabled HRMs that allow you to download and analyze your data on a computer (they can be really pricey). I've got a Timex T5J983 that works really well and is very simple to use. It's currently 42% off at a popular online retailer, which is ~$30 less than I paid at my local sports store.

Whichever one you choose it's a great investment and super motivator. You can fine tune your workouts and adjust your intensity to stay in the lower BPMs for fat burning and higher BPMs for endurance. Good luck!
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I did, sorry fir the typo! I found one for $78 here, which is by far the best price I've seen. Usually I was seeing $120 plus (like you said, on Amazon). Just wanted to make sure it was a good one!

I take it back, it is F6.... http://education.polarusa.com/products/fseries/f6.asp
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think the F6 is an older model that has been replaced by the FT series. I would go to a sporting goods store and ask them for more details. One important difference between the old product line and the new one is that you no longer have to send the unit in to replace the battery for the FT series. It might even be worth calling Polar directly and asking them if you don't have a store nearby. They run sales on the newer ones pretty regularly so the price difference wouldn't be that much.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you get a Garmin device which comes with a heart rate monitor, make sure it's not the soft strap monitor. The Garmin soft strap monitor works for a while, then stops being accurate. Their other heart rate monitor works fine.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

I take it back, it is F6.... http://education.polarusa.com/products/fseries/f6.asp

Not sure if this is going to help, as it's not directly me reviewing it, but I've read a lot of reviews weighing out the differences between the F6 and FT6.

As it turns out, the F6 doesn't seem to be in production anymore as it had a lot of bugs. The reviews I've read online for it included many people either returning the watch, or just giving up and buying a completely different watch within a few months of purchase.

I was in the same boat as you, debating on which one to get as the price tag on the F6 looked a lot better...but after reading that everyone hated it, I figured spending the extra money on the FT6 would be worth it in the end

I hope this helps!