Nervous & New

Options
Hi guys I’m Tipp. Just getting started today and already over my calorie intake.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Cliffs Notes of Weight Loss:
    • Weight loss happens in THE KITCHEN, fitness happens in the gym
    • small, sustainable changes
    • Understand weight fluctuations are normal. Thinks of a roller coaster, not a steep mountain slope down. Some weeks up, some weeks down. Its the OVERALL TREND that matters
    • Learn to weigh your food ON A FOOD SCALE
    • Learn how to find ACCURATE DATABASE ENTRIES
    • BE ACTIVE - get off your butt and MOVE. Find SOMETHING you enjoy. If your activity is limited, find ways to move that you are ABLE to do
    • Deprivation is the key to Binging and falling off the wagon. Learn how to fit your favorite things in regularly. There are no 'bad foods' Just 'bad quantities'.
    • One 'bad' day will not undo your deficit.
    • You did not gain the weight quickly. You will not lose it quickly. Better to lose it slowly, and KEEP IT OFF, then lose it quick, and gain it all back and more!

Useful Links

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

and basically ... all of these :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would add that at least now you know how much you should be eating. You just need to find strategies to fit your food into your calorie goal. It takes a little trail and error at first. Look at your food diary to assess where most of your calories are and see if you can do some substitutions or cut back a little. Be patient and consistent.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Hey Tipp,

No reason to be nervous; EVERYONE was new here at one point.
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    we all started somewhere. Consistency is key. Keep going.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,738 Member
    Options
    Unless you came here with a PhD in nutrition (and maybe even if you did!) there is a learning curve.

Don’t beat yourself up on Day 1. Or even day 7 or 366.

3+ years in and I’m still learning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    It can be very powerful just to log your eating for a week or two, eating as you usually do, and not really worrying too much about even hitting the calorie goal. Once you have a couple weeks of data, it's much easier to go back through and find foods that aren't important enough to you - in tastiness, satiation, nutrition, etc. - to be worth their calorie "cost", at least not in the current portion sizes or frequencies. (You'll probably notice some of those as soon as you log them - for that reason, it can be useful to log what you're planning to eat, before you eat it, even if that means and going back adjusting portion sizes or something after the fact.)

Those things that cost more calories than they seem worth to you are obvious candidates to reduce, eliminate, or find enjoyable substitutes for, to get a better balance of calorie level, nutrition, practicality, and overall happiness with our eating.

Gradual tweaking, using a process like that, should eventually get you to a point where you're hitting your calorie goal, with good nutrition, practical foods that you like to cook/eat, and so forth: A good, personalized balance.

If you're not "there yet" on day 1 . . . that's fine. Just keep working away at it, step by step: You'll be amazed what you can accomplish, I predict.

Best wishes!
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    tiffanyd40 wrote: »
    Hi guys I’m Tipp. Just getting started today and already over my calorie intake.

Are you sure you've set your calories at a good level?