Pregnancy!

Options
I have just started watching what I am eating again and trying to move more when lo and behold after a week of suspicion I take a test and find out that not only am I obese... I am obese and pregnant.

How on earth do I work this? Is it possible to end a pregnancy lighter than you start it?? Don't get me wrong I am absolutely all about putting baby first I really am but I don't want to do what I did last time and just use pregnancy as an excuse to eat and eat and eat and I am 100lbs over my ideal..

I also had pelvis pain in my last pregnancy and suspect it was me being overweight which made that worse. Has anyone any experience of weightloss in pregnancy?? help!!

Replies

• TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    There's a Fit, Fabulous and Pregnant group I suggest you join :-) I am in my second pregnancy, which is pretty much back to back with my first. It's possible to maintain your weight during pregnancy if you focus on eating healthy. Needing to eat for two is a myth, and any type of weight gain guideline is a myth especially if you're obese. I haven't gained at all this time and my doctor doesn't care because I am currently overweight and the baby is measuring fine. Join the group, there are a lot of great ladies who can support you!
  • TankGirrl
    TankGirrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you! How do I join please x
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Weight loss in pregnancy is not really a good idea because to lose weight you need to eat at a deficit, and during pregnancy you need to have a small surplus of calories for all the extra work your body is doing. I would talk to the doctor about expectations for your weight during this pregnancy and what you calorie goals should be to keep you both healthy. Personally, I would focus more on what the doctor says than anything else, as your needs are going to be different from anyone else. It seems to be the popular thing now to see who can gain the least amount of weight during pregnancy, and I'm not sure that is a good thing. Having a healthy pregnancy isn't about the numbers on the scale.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Go to Community, Groups, Find a Group and the name is Fit, Fabulous, & Pregnant!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would second discussing things with your doctor. When you go in to see her/him at your next OB appointment, just lay it out there with your weight concerns. He/She will be able to point you into the right direction with your nutrition :)

Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I lost weight during all my pregnancies due to hyperemesis. I wouldn't recommend it though. :sick:
  • tinytorii
    tinytorii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I lost weight during all my pregnancies due to hyperemesis. I wouldn't recommend it though. :sick:

Going through the same at the moment. Managed to get meds for hyperemesis so I've finally started gaining some weight but HG is so rough
  • tinytorii
    tinytorii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat healthy and just add in the additional 300 or so calories per day that you need (from 2nd trimester onwards) you could possibly lose weight in a healthy weight. With light exercise like walking or swimming (if doctor approves). I'm currently dancing just to help optimise my health but it's gentle dance and in short bursts
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I recommend discussing this with your doctor, but there is no real reason you couldn't lose weight while pregnant as long as you're careful and your doctor has no reservations about it (you have health issues we don't know about).

Since you're obese, you're probably already eating over your caloric needs that you need to eat while pregnant, so you don't need to eat more than you already are simply because you're pregnant. IIRC, pregnant women at a normal weight only need to eat, like, don't quote me, 500 calories over their calorie needs. So, you're already most likely (way?) over that due to overeating already. I'd also start gently exercising if you're not already like walking, etc. Also, discuss that with you're doctor (the exercises that you could do).
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Get your doctor's advice on this. I'm sure he/she will tell you how to care for your baby and lose weight successfully.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Thread is 7 years old.

Pretty sure the pregnancy is over! 😂
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    So….

What, in two short sentences, both of which are inarguable facts, caused that disagree?! 😂