Post workout eating

Options
Anyone having problems with eating after working out?

I am doing well in general as I have been losing the 1 - 2 lbs per week I am targeting.

However, my "workout" classes are in the evening. So, I have no chance for any supper before going to a class. (My classes can be rough and a full stomach is not a good idea!).

I get home between 9:45 and 10:00 pm and I am starving! I end up grabbing almost anything I can find in our fridge and consuming like I was a wild animal. Then being exhausted I go to bed around 11:00 - 11:15.

I feel that this situation is not "healthy" and I know I need to work on improving.

Just curious if anyone else has a similar situation/problem.

Replies

• JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    Could you make a dinner for after the work out and leave it in a container in the fridge? I suggest eating something small before workout, like and apple and pb (but thats just me). It doesnt matter really when you eat, but after a good work out I would want to put the best food I could in my body.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Plan some late afternoon snack prior to the workout and make sure you have quality food prepared for your dinner later after the workout.

You don't want to have the workout HUNGER with out a plan in place.

Regards
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Not unhealthy at all. Not eating after a workout would be more unhealthy, for sure. Although it would be best to have some stuff on hand for post-workout. Any chance of cooking on weekends and having pre-made food ready to microwave when you get home? If looking for super easy then you could always get some pre-packaged foods that are better than the worst ones... Kashi has some microwave meals and even frozen pizzas that aren't too bad sodium and calorie wise and at least have a lot of protein and fiber, which I think is important after a workout.

I think it's best to fit your workout to your lifestyle, and it sounds like you are, so don't beat yourself up. Not eating after 8pm or whatever is a crazy rule anyway. If you are doing that kind of intense workout, you will continue burning calories at a higher rate after you are done. :)
  • DesiraeBjTyler
    Options
    Yes I have tha same problem. However; I did something to help me. Try this & see if it helps you. I carry with me a can of sardines & some crackers & eat that before your workout or after. It is great tho when you need some good protein on the run. Hope that helps you.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

I tend to work out in the evening too, I try and have a sandwich or pasta a couple of hours before training and have a protein shake about an hour after training (9pm) ish. you could also try fruit after your workout and maybe have some toast when you get home.

Hope this help

Scott
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    How about a quick protein shake after your workout? And have a good healthy breakfast and lunch and a tiny snack before your workout like someone suggested an apple.
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Before I go to the gym for my class, I go home and change and will have a mini oroweat thin sandwhich with either tuna or peanut butter. Then after the gym, I go home and drink a whey protein shake with almond milk.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Plan some late afternoon snack prior to the workout and make sure you have quality food prepared for your dinner later after the workout.
    ^^^^^ This
    I work out directly from leaving work, so I try to eat something like an apple, almonds etc. around 3-4 p.m. so I'm not as hungry after my workout.
  • beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    After my C25K and kettles I am starving in the evening. I could eat my own hand sometimes. :noway: :noway: What works for me is a can or two of beef, chicken, turkey broth (virtually no calories and tiny carbs) some sargento shredded cheese (whatever variety you like) and I eat it like soup. Its filling, it doesn't feel heavy and I have continued to drop pounds and inches doing this. If I am still hungry-which is rare-I will have a protein shake. Be well!!!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Depends..I have a protein shake or protein bar prior or after..sometimes I have a bowl of Shredded wheat for after..lol..so, just gotta plan ahead.. if you eat a bar or drink a shake after..it should fill you up pretty quick..so your not sooo ravenous.. put a protein bar in your bag for right after your workout..that should slow it down too..the crazy starving out of your mind thing..:smile: