Making whole wheat pasta more palatable

Options
Jewels211
Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
I try to eat only truly whole grain products, but whole wheat pasta was something I really didn't care for in general, both the "harsh" flavor and the texture of most of it. There were a couple of brands that tasted and felt better to me, but I can hardly ever find them anymore. A friend shared that she had found if she cooks the pasta a couple minutes longer than what is suggested on the packaging, the taste is much better, and the pasta is not overcooked and does not become mushy. I tried it, and it works! Lasagna noodles can go even 3-4 minutes past the suggested cook time. The flavor is less harsh or strong or whatever you want to call it, and I don't feel that grittiness of texture that bothered me before.

Replies

• novemberjuls
    Options
    Thanks for the hint!
  • cacraft
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta I can eat bowls of! But brown rice I have trouble with and am still trying to get used to.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I don't watch the time when cooking pasta. I cook it until it looks good to me. I think I always cook it longer than what the box says. I buy Great Value (Walmart's brand) whole wheat pasta. I can't even tell the difference between wheat pasta and the regular kind.
  • pcbertsch
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta tastes like burnt shoe laces. There is nothing that can be done. Saying it was palletable, is like saying ToFu dogs are palletable. Not going to happen.
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I buy Trader Joes' whole wheat pasta... it's amazing! Can't even tell the difference
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I like whole wheat pasta.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I cook wheat pasta a little longer too. I also add alittle olive oil. My friend who went to cooking school said olive oil helps the flavor. He was right. I thought I couldn't cook pasta before, but his tip helped. Put just a dab in while the noodles are cooking
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I cook wheat pasta a little longer too. I also add alittle olive oil. My friend who went to cooking school said olive oil helps the flavor. He was right. I thought I couldn't cook pasta before, but his tip helped. Put just a dab in while the noodles are cooking
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. . .The other thing that works really well is if you like spaghetti squash. . I use that in place of pasta or shred up zucchini and put pasta sauce and parmesan on it. . .

Good luck. :bigsmile:
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    bump

I am a white grain girl all the way, but have changed to whole wheat/grain and it is a struggle especially with pasta.
    Thanks.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    you are right! Whole wheat pasta isn't that tasty al dente. I will try cooking it longer.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do not like whole wheat tortillas..at least the 2 brands Ive tried and I do not like brown rice. And when I bake with whole wheat it is tough and not very tasty. I do buy whole wheat breads and we love them. Any suggestions?
  • abouthealth56
    abouthealth56 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try brown rice pasta.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    From a culinary aspect, about a handful of salt and three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil should go in the boiling water per half-box of pasta.
    -wtk
  • Jewels211
    Options
    cacraft, I'm about the same way. But I guess really, I'm just not a big rice eater, overall. I grew up in a home where rice was only cooked as a hot cereal, served with milk and sweetened. I like it like that, and I KNOW brown rice wouldn't work for me that way. I tend to get my grains from breads and oats mostly, so I don't worry too much about not loving brown rice. The exception to this is my son's Chicken on the Beach, a take on a dish he loves at his favorite Mexican restaurant. The rice is cooked as Mexican rice (tomato sauce, etc.) and then topped with white queso cheese sauce, with chicken breast. I'll have to post that recipe. Anyway, between the tomato stuff and the cheese, I like it fine. :happy:

I buy the brown boil-in-the-bag rice to cut down on the time it takes to cook, and that at least takes away the irritation factor from it taking forever to get done!
  • Jewels211
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta tastes like burnt shoe laces. There is nothing that can be done. Saying it was palletable, is like saying ToFu dogs are palletable. Not going to happen.

lol Ah, if you just give it a chance cooked the extra time and make sure there is a tomato-based sauce to go with, maybe you'll change your mind. :smile:
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi Jewels - I use Barilla and we love the ww angel hair. Not so much with the heavier pastas like penne-taste too over powering. But one tip I do is add the pasta to the sauce and let it simmer together awhile so the pasta can absorb the sauce some. I think it helps. I also buy spinach linguini alot and we love that too. :happy:
  • Jewels211
    Options
    Hi Jewels - I use Barilla and we love the ww angel hair. Not so much with the heavier pastas like penne-taste too over powering. But one tip I do is add the pasta to the sauce and let it simmer together awhile so the pasta can absorb the sauce some. I think it helps. I also buy spinach linguini alot and we love that too. :happy:

Babs, I think simmering in the sauce awhile probably achieves about the same as boiling it those few extra minutes; makes it more tender and more mild tasting. But your way also adds the flavor of the sauce to the pasta. Good tip! Thanks for sharing. That would work well for the non-layered stuff. And you might try the penne with the extra cook time. I didn't like it at all before, either, but now it's a different story. And I use ww pasta in all tomato-based dishes I make and take to potlucks, etc. and NO ONE notices the difference and I get lots of compliments on them. And this from a bunch of very suspicious, non-adventurous eaters! :tongue:
  • Jewels211
    Options

You know, it suddenly hit me--how do you know what burnt shoe laces taste like? lol
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I tried my best to eat whole wheat pasta or brown rice and I just can't do it! I'd rather eat the good stuff but just less of it!