Calorie goal not acurate?

Options
Hi. I'm 5ft and mfp told me to eat 1200 kcal/day to lose weight. Fast forward a week: I felt ravenous, miserable, and weak. When I weighed myself, I'd lost way more weight than projected. After trial and error, I found that I can lose 0.5-1lb/week on 1650 kcal/day. I take 5k walks every day, but other than that I get little physical activity. How does this make any sense? I'm questioning these calorie targets... I don't even want to imagine how miserable I'd be if I stayed at 1200.

Replies

• xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Walking 5 k at a brisk pace burns around 250 calories. So if you start with the 1200 cal recommendation and then plan on extra to cover your exercise, that is 1450 cal per day. Not so different from the 1650 that you find works for you. But by all means if the 1650 cal seems sustainable, is less than what you used to eat, and results in weight loss that you are happy with, then maintain that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    xrj22 wrote: »
    Walking 5 k at a brisk pace burns around 250 calories. So if you start with the 1200 cal recommendation and then plan on extra to cover your exercise, that is 1450 cal per day. Not so different from the 1650 that you find works for you. But by all means if the 1650 cal seems sustainable, is less than what you used to eat, and results in weight loss that you are happy with, then maintain that.

5k burns varying amounts of calories at a brisk pace depending on body size. For me (125 pounds/57kg), it would take about 90 minutes at 6kph (so 9km walk, moderately brisk) to burn about 250 net calories, per the ExRx walking calculator. 250 calories for 5k - net calories, which is what one really wants to add in MFP - would be for 100kg person. Possible that OP is 100kg/220 pounds at 5 feet tall, but it's not something I'd assume without more info.

I take your general point, but the specific numbers are very size-dependent.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5 foot and maintain around 16/1700 calories I guess (and I'm small - around 45 kg).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Idk52 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm 5ft and mfp told me to eat 1200 kcal/day to lose weight. Fast forward a week: I felt ravenous, miserable, and weak. When I weighed myself, I'd lost way more weight than projected. After trial and error, I found that I can lose 0.5-1lb/week on 1650 kcal/day. I take 5k walks every day, but other than that I get little physical activity. How does this make any sense? I'm questioning these calorie targets... I don't even want to imagine how miserable I'd be if I stayed at 1200.

When I started on MFP I chose a two pound per week rate of loss and also got 1200 calories per day. That lasted until lunch :lol:

I wish people could get this information before setting their weekly weight loss goal:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It's off for me too. It's the hazard of calculators basing their numbers on averages. I am maintaining right now at about 1900-2100 calories a day. MFP thinks I should be eating about 1700 to maintain at 125 and 5'5". Individuals vary, and that's okay -- but it means your own math/results will also be the most important.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    MFP always gives me 1200 even when I select half lb per week. I think this is because my app is set to sedentary. At my age with a desk job, It’s possible I have some days I burn 1600-1700 calories alone. However I have realized that I lose just fine at 1400 calories per day plus eating back my exercise calories. You have to figure out what works for you rather than trust implicitly.
  • PixieKazza
    PixieKazza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5ft, aiming to lose around 1 stone to get to a sensible weight for my height - which is 8 stone. I use a Fitbit, which tells me if I have a lazy day, I burn around 900 calories in total. If I get in 12,000 steps, plus yoga, plus a 20/30 min cardio workout, calorie burn comes in around 1700/1900 per day. I find it very difficult to lose weight without being hungry! And doing that amount of exercise every day is tiring and I end up losing motivation rather than lbs. Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    sounds like you've figured out how you want to lose weight a half pound a week at 1600 or so calories so you don' t have to suffer. That's great. So, mfp was off on in your case.. don't worry about that.. I'm happy for you that you get to eat more and still lose. Just my opinion. I think 1200 calories a day sucks...and is miserable.
  • peazoo1325
    peazoo1325 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The best way to learn about your caloric needs is to weigh your self every morning after the morning ritual and without clothes. Do this for about two weeks with accurate calorie counting (please use a scale). You will be able to see what calories are required to lose fat or stay the same weight. The most difficult part is calculating your basal metabolic rate without activity (laying around basically).