How do you like to relax?

alliemaeg89
alliemaeg89 Posts: 95 Member
I've been so caught up with the kids/their school stuff and my job lately that I have completely neglected doing anything for myself. I haven't been keeping up with my fitness goals, my hobbies, or even just simply taking the time to relax. So what type of things do y'all like to do that you find relaxing?

Replies

• boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Lately it's just been vegging out on the couch which isn't the most relaxing really. But when I get the chance and have the mental focus for it, I'll spend some time wood carving or working on a model car.
  • alliemaeg89
    Lately it's just been vegging out on the couch which isn't the most relaxing really. But when I get the chance and have the mental focus for it, I'll spend some time wood carving or working on a model car.

Great hobbies, I've always wanted to try wood carving but I'm almost positive I'd lose a finger or something lol. As for the model cars, those things are so cool, so many intricacies I'd imagine that would be pretty zen!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I read a lot, obviously spend too much time on the internet, and jigsaw puzzles. I've gotten back on the treadmill and when the weather is reasonable(I live in New England) I'll venture outside for walks. I visit my sister as much as I can and we build barnboard birdhouses, shaped like our state, to sell in our local consignment artsy craftsy store. Other than that I have 2 dogs who I cozy up with and take outdoors often. :)

I'm actually thinking about buying an adult Lego set and see how that goes. My ds's girlfriend has made many of them and loves Legos.

What I *should* be doing is cleaning out closets, the basement, bookshelves, etc. :)

DH and I play Mexican Train Dominos most days but I'm burning out on that.
  • alliemaeg89
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I read a lot, obviously spend too much time on the internet, and jigsaw puzzles. I've gotten back on the treadmill and when the weather is reasonable(I live in New England) I'll venture outside for walks. I visit my sister as much as I can and we build barnboard birdhouses, shaped like our state, to sell in our local consignment artsy craftsy store. Other than that I have 2 dogs who I cozy up with and take outdoors often. :)

I'm actually thinking about buying an adult Lego set and see how that goes. My ds's girlfriend has made many of them and loves Legos.

What I *should* be doing is cleaning out closets, the basement, bookshelves, etc. :)

DH and I play Mexican Train Dominos most days but I'm burning out on that.

All of those things sound really relaxing. Also, Legos are awesome at silencing a busy mind, when I do Lego sets with my youngest son it's so relaxing. The funniest part is he always asks me to help him because he knows that I'll end up doing the whole thing. I'm going to have to look up what Mexican train dominoes is though, I've never heard of it. I forgot all about dominoes actually, those things are fun! Thanks for the response hun 🙂
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Lately, playing Cities Skylines and listening to some jams.

I like to garden and mow the lawn.

Watching ParkTool's tutorials on YouTube (no joke).
  • alliemaeg89
    Lately, playing Cities Skylines and listening to some jams.

I like to garden and mow the lawn.

Watching ParkTool's tutorials on YouTube (no joke).

Very cool, is that a video game or? Lol I feel old having to ask. As for the gardening, that's awesome, plants are the best. I do exterior landscaping and interior plantscaping at my job.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2022
    Depends on what I need. Last Thursday I needed to just take a full recharge day and I literally sat on the couch under a blanket with a heating pad and the fire going and binge watched Netflix for about 8 hours. That is pretty unusual for me, but it was greatly needed.

I like reading to relax me in the evening before bed. I walk my dog most days and I also find a nice walk to be very relaxing. Sometimes I just need to get away and put myself into a different environment. I do quite a bit of weekend camping in the warmer months...usually starting in April and going through October. I usually get out to the mountains at least one weekend per month. During the winter I don't get away quite as much due to the expense of hotel but the family and I do try to get away for a weekend somewhere every couple of months or so.

I live fairly close to the mountains, so hiking is also something I enjoy and find very relaxing. If I can't quite manage that, we have a lot of nice trails along the Rio Grande that make for a nice and relaxing environment.

I also find cooking to be very relaxing, especially if it's something really nice or if it's a new dish.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    I colour (yes colouring books) or read to relax. I always recommend someone take up colouring as a way to unwind.
  • dblirondog
    dblirondog Posts: 123 Member
    I've been so caught up with the kids/their school stuff and my job lately that I have completely neglected doing anything for myself. I haven't been keeping up with my fitness goals, my hobbies, or even just simply taking the time to relax. So what type of things do y'all like to do that you find relaxing?

My daughter is a year and a half old and I can so relate to this. Between work and home life, I wasn't even going to the gym or never had time to watch tv. But I decided to change all that, so this is my second week back to the gym and I'm starting to take some time for me to recharge my batteries. Grant it, I have to get up and go to the gym at 5 am, and shoot videos on the weekends when I can steal some time away, but its there. I just had to find it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Sleeping seems to work well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Soduko
  • alliemaeg89
    All of these are such great suggestions y'all, thank you!! I'm going to have to make it a goal to wake up earlier to fit these in periodically.