Support system

Options
Hey my name is Jennifer and I currently not liking with how much weight I have gained over the last year. I have a closet full of clothes but the problem is I only wear about 10 different shirts because of the way they look on me.
I’m addicted to diet Dr Pepper which I know isn’t great for me. Last week I started drinking a half gallon of water most of the week.
I will be starting Monday so this weekend I can make a grocery list and go shopping.
Feel free to add me to join and support me!!

Replies

• Theredknott
    Theredknott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat! I refuse to buy any new clothes because I feel like I’m just enabling all this weight gain. I stopped the Dr Pepper yesterday and have been water only. Good luck!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr Pepper is a zero calorie product, isn’t it?

That would indicate your issue is somewhere else. Switching to water isn’t a bad thing, but won’t make a dent.

Why not go back to Tuesday or Wednesday and enter what you can remember that you are those days? No only will you gain valuable practice recording to your diary, but it will be eye opening.

When I did that, I realized I was eating many many times the calories I needed just to maintain at my then-current, obese weight. It was eye opening.

It also gave me insight into where the calories were going. I’d never paid a bit of attention to them before. Realizing that that family size bag of M&Ms I’d mindlessly scarfed while reading a book was more than my entire daily allotment was a shock, embarrassing, guilt provoking, you name it.

You really don’t need to buy “special” groceries. Just eat less of the ones you do have.

I did what most people do the “first day”. I went through and purged everything in pantry, fridge and freezer that I perceived as “bad”. I’ve learned a lot since then and reintroduced many of them, ditched others, and added many new ones.

Get yourself a scale, weigh every morsel, and record them honestly
  • Jenniferkcooper3
    Jenniferkcooper3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

@Theredknott
    Did you have any headaches since you cut that out?
  • Jenniferkcooper3
    Options
    @springlering62 i bought a smart scale that’s syncs with my phone. I can’t remember what all I ate but I know what you mean with the just snacking on something and bam a lot of calories ( probably one of my problems) also right before Christmas toms of patients where I work brought me and my employees TONS of snacks and desserts. We ate on them all day.
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Me too.
    Good luck in 2022. Happy new year.
  • springlering62
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @springlering62 i bought a smart scale that’s syncs with my phone. I can’t remember what all I ate but I know what you mean with the just snacking on something and bam a lot of calories ( probably one of my problems) also right before Christmas toms of patients where I work brought me and my employees TONS of snacks and desserts. We ate on them all day.

Well the good news is (and although this sounds crazy, it is well proven) when you eat a bunch of food at once, your weight shoots you the next day, but it’s water weight, retained due to the extra carbs. It’ll usually fall off within the week.

I put on ten pounds over the holidays, and six or seven has already dropped since Christmas without even cutting calories below my usual goal.

That’s something you need to remember on this path, and often causes people to quit in frustration.

You may eat a pound of pizza on an unintended plan, but that three or four extra pounds that shows up on the scale the next day is just water. You’ll wee it out quickly.

In no law of physics does a pound of anything equate to four pounds permanently gained.
  • springlering62
    Options
    And PS by scale, I mean food scale.

Are you planning to weigh and log?

It’s a shock the first time you realize how small a tablespoon of anything really is by weight, versus happily scooping out as much as you can get in the spoon. (Guilty for years.)
  • Jenniferkcooper3
    Options
    @springlering62 yes I do have a good scale and will weigh my food too. Thank you for all the good information! I feel like you have been at this for awhile 😀
  • springlering62
    Options
    Three years last November. Nearly 100 lost, but I (can you beleive this?) overshot my goal, looked cadaverous, lost muscle, and felt awful, so intentionally put about seven back on. I am in far better shape at 59 than I was at 29.

My husband has been here since late august and has lost 25+.

CICO has worked for me, and I’ll be counting calories til the kids stick me in the Raisin Ranch.