is it ok to exercise with a chest infection?

Options
hey all well woke up this morning with crap on my lungs and now it's turning slightly weezy and crackly, iv suffered with it in the past and took me a whole yr to get rid of at one point, im generally fine doing things when i have 1 but have coughing fits if i do anything that raises my temp. im just curious to know if it would actually help it go quicker as ill be using my lungs more and keeping fit or would it just make it worse? i know it can leave scar tissue in your lungs so thought breathing more would help that but my last lot i ended up with half the breath than i would normally have ( normal blow 500, and went down to 200 on the breathing gadget)

any help is much appreciated thanks sammy

Replies

• elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No - if you don't get better 1st you will probably end up much iller for longer. If you can;t breathe properly - you can;t get enough oxygen into your bloodstream. Do as much (or as little) as your body allows at this time, get well and then get back to it!

:)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no, but you should really just ask your doctor.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No. Go to the doctor and get better.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No. Let your body heal.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Crackly = ER
    Go now.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Crackly = ER
    Go now.

Just this ^
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    ok ill not do any exercise then, im not bothering with the dr unless i end up on inhalers again cause anti-biotics dont work, was on them for 4 months and did nothing and just ended up having to deal with it and controlling it all with the pumps. how pants ow well best sit back and survive the ride lol
    thanks for all your help ppl :)
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Why on earth are you asking a forum this? GO TO THE ER.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I advise to go to the Dr. I had something that sounds like it was similar and I'd get it around October/November and it'd last around 2 months. They'd end up putting me on a steroid inhaler to get rid of it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    ok ill not do any exercise then, im not bothering with the dr unless i end up on inhalers again cause anti-biotics dont work, was on them for 4 months and did nothing and just ended up having to deal with it and controlling it all with the pumps. how pants ow well best sit back and survive the ride lol
    thanks for all your help ppl :)

Seriously, go to the doctor. If the antibiotics you tried didn't work, try another one. You are sick. You need medical attention. These symptoms will not go away on their own. I went though this earlier this summer, and I waited too long to go to the doc and almost ended up in the hospital. Go to the emergency room.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics aren't worth the money. The body has its own healing process. Humans wouldn't be here today if we didn't. Rest and get better. Maybe go to the doctor, too. Pneumonia can still be fatal.
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    i meant crackly as in the crap in my lungs moving about when i breath should settle down once i go sleep and get a regular breathing pattern going then gonna be waking up feeling rougher than a badgers *kitten*, just hope the baby dont end up the same bless him
  • weelee87
    weelee87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm feeling pretty much the same, started off with a cold 2 weeks ago which seems to have moved into my chest. I'm going through periods of feeling fine then suffering productive coughing fits (full of gunk). the same as you, I have asthma and feeling wheezy in the morning but ok by the afternoon. I have excercised 3 times this week, which is less than usual but admittedly probably shouldnt have done any. I just didnt want to stop and do nothing at all!! I dont think Im any worse for it, but may have prolonged my recovery.

I suppose your body tells you what you can do. If your feeling awful - bed, lots of fluids and sleep. Doctors for antibiotics if it continues. Hope your feeling better soon!!! x
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    it's ok, it usually takes about a wk to fully come out iv had it loads in the past and know when to see the dr. yeah i think i was given 1 of those inhalers last time but that was literally last resort and still didn't do anything, i used to be on nebulisers as a kid and steroid drips and all that but it always creeps up every couple of years but is alot easier to handle as an adult. i only asked if exercise would help? lol i didn't know as last time i was working 12hrs a day caring so was on the go all day and seemed fine apart from the coughing fits, but i shall be resting as much as a mother of 2 can from now on
  • RichardCh
    Options
    I did but wouldnt recommended it felt took longer to recover but I was doing alot of running lol
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics aren't worth the money. The body has its own healing process. Humans wouldn't be here today if we didn't. Rest and get better. Maybe go to the doctor, too. Pneumonia can still be fatal.
    Worst reasoning I've ever seen! Many lives are saved everyday with antibiotics. Thousands of soldiers died (from infection)after non-fatal wounds were received in battle before antibiotics were in use.