Carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont monitor carbs at all. that said, staying within my calorie goals and being 'full', prevents eating a TON of them, on an average day, at least
  • pafinkssteffes
    pafinkssteffes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Per my sister I should be getting 130g of protein, 50g. Carbs and 65g fat. I can never make the protein, always over the fat and good on carbs. Any opinions or advice.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I think people can lose weight by rejecting carbs. But, in the end, it is just a shortcut to eating less calories for those who can't plan balanced meals within their calorie goals.

Definitely works for some people. And, probably no harm in being low on carbs. That is not really true of fats which are needed for body.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yikes old thread 😄
    I hit goal in 2020 and have still been toning and maintaing eating carbs of 120+ these days. I stay within my calories and try to eat more protien then anything else.

LORD JESUS IS KING OF KINGS
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I had to go look at my diary, I had not been paying attention to carb grams particularly. I have my goals set up as 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat so depending on the day and workout the numbers vary. I seem to lose with these percentages. I do prioritize for breakfast and lunch eating a variety of fruits and vegetables so that may be high percentage of my carbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Per my sister I should be getting 130g of protein, 50g. Carbs and 65g fat. I can never make the protein, always over the fat and good on carbs. Any opinions or advice.

0.6-0.8 grams protein daily per pound of healthy goal weight (use midpoint of normal BMI for your height if not sure of a healthy goal weight, it'll be plenty close enough). That equates (close enough) to 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, for a wide range of typical people, but most of us don't have a decent method of estimating lean body mass. Or, use this source for protein estimates:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

That's a minimum, more won't hurt a person unless they have certain specific serious health conditions. (You'd likely know if you have kidney disease or the like.)

Fats, I'd recommend something in the range of 0.35-0.45 grams daily per pound of body weight, men OK toward the lower end, maybe even 0.3g/lb. Again, more is fine, unless health conditions require limits.

The above would be on average over small numbers of days: A little under one day, a little over the next, fine. Needn't be exact.

Carbs? If diabetic, insulin resistant, or the the like, manage carbs as needed for that health condition. Otherwise, if that's not a factor, eat carbs to preference or personal results, with remaining calories. Eating more carbs causes appetite increase or cravings? Eat fewer carbs. Eating fewer carbs causes energy drop? Eat more carbs.

Protein and fats are essential nutrients, in the technical sense that your body can't manufacture them out of any other nutrient, so you need to eat some. Carbs are not essential in that sense.

Alcohol is commonly consumed, has calories, is not any of protein, fat, or carbs: It's its own thing. Probably a good plan to moderate it, eh? 😉
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

What, precisely, is your sister's reasoning for this? Does she even have an explanation for where she got these numbers?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Currently shooting for 225g carbs/day with a tolerance of +/- 10g.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, and if you want to increase protein intake, this thread may be helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It helped me, for sure, when first trying to get adequate protein on lower calories, as a vegetarian. These days, in maintenance, I'm usually exceeding my 100g protein minimum, and even that 100 is probably a bit above 1g per pound of lean body mass, for me.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Just before I entered a maintenance phase I was over 800g per day, not really any fun at all