Commenting on other people food diaries?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think if someone wants your opinion on their diary they'll ask for it, either by making a thread here or posting a status in their feed, soliciting that information.

THIS!!!!
    You've only been here a little over 6 months. PLEASE don't be *that* person.

This. 100%

Welcome back!

Never left 😂🤷‍♀️

Haven't seen you posting.
  • alesliej42
    alesliej42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How would I get to see someone's diary. Sometimes I would like to see how others are eating so I can make adjustments to my choices because somehow I think they can be better. But if someone wants to visit mine diary and make some suggestions I would appreciate that very much.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Well, just think about this from the big picture perspective:

Your comments about food choices are mostly opinions and even when generally correct are debatable. You could easily be 100% correct (like my brother in law) and walk up to someone and say: "man you would do well to lose a few pounds, eh."

Now would you do that? If so, you will probably be telling them that they eat too much sugar or processed food or whatnot. And, I think we would all do well not to respond even to an inquiry like: "do you think I eat too much processed food?" Its like: "do I have a big belly?" Or, "do my legs look fat to you?"
  • magicfoodfluff
    magicfoodfluff Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think if someone wants your opinion on their diary they'll ask for it, either by making a thread here or posting a status in their feed, soliciting that information.

THIS!!!!
    You've only been here a little over 6 months. PLEASE don't be *that* person.

This. 100%

Welcome back!

Never left 😂🤷‍♀️

Haven't seen you posting.

Not much to say that hasn't been said many times plus this new layout sucks.

This new layout really does suck. Does the site have a feature to make the screen darker?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How much sugar or anything else I eat is not anyone's business. I would not care for unsolicited opinions.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh. If anyone’s looked, they haven’t dared ask.

If someone looked at my diary, their head would spin and they’d probably think I was a fraud or a troll. Or that I was OCD and ate pretty much the same thing every day until those days I bust wildly loose and eat everything that isn’t nailed down.

They’d be right on all counts, lololol.

And, still, I hang in there. 🤗

….mmmmmm……marzipan…….
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I can't even figure out how to see people's diaries anymore!

I got lucky with one person but hell if I can remember how I got there.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Some people log with great precision...others are more lose. Some people are really into nutrition and others just want to make sure their calories are in line with what they need for their weight management goals. It's really nobody's business unless they ask for your input.

exactly. oddly enough, as long as ive been here, ive never had any 'strangers' (ie not on my friends list) comment on my diary. and its been open my entire time here, minus about a month last year when I was on a medication that caused me to totally lose my appetite and i wasnt eating. the only reason i closed it then was because i did not want people to think i was hypocritical and/or under eating.

as far as friends go, i only RECALL one person ever saying something negative- something about my carbs or coffee creamer or something like that. they found themselves deleted. i am not going to debate or defend what i eat with anyone, especially since my weight loss speaks for itself.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I actually once had somebody say in a forum thread about daylights saving or which fruits are in season or paper plates or something (can't remember what it was but something completely unrelated to my food intake) - that why should they take advice from me, when I only eat x amount of protein. :*:*
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Been here for years. Only a portion of that time did I share my diary. I eventually made it private after so many people making unsolicited comments/suggestions.

Issue solved.

I've had members join my friends list only to drop me within a day or two after they realized I didn't keep my diary public. Shallow people at it's finest.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I think I had one person my whole 8ish years here that made constant comments on my diary. I think she even said something about me using paper plates. 🙄 She got deleted and then got mad and sent one of those PMs about how butthurt she was.

Never once had I have someone random comment on my food intake. I have no problems telling someone to eff all the way off. 👋😂
  • JustSmitten77
    JustSmitten77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Unless someone wants advice, I would recommend refraining from commenting. If you do choose to say something, make sure they’re open to it first. If someone is seeking advice for nutritional reasons and you are a registered dietitian or nutritionist, that’d be different.
  • Mom24_2021
    Mom24_2021 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think a kind reminder is okay sometimes but I really don’t appreciate when people comment on what I have or have not eaten. You really don’t know what they have going on. As far as the bread thing, as an example, I log in multiple places, a lot of times I’m aware if there is nutritional information missing and/or I’m aware and don’t care for one reason or another. I don’t always track carbs, sometimes it’s a priority, sometimes it’s really not, you may ask “why?”…well, I have specific health concerns that make it more vital that I don’t eat too much protein so I pay more attention to that.

I have had experience with an unwanted comment from a MFP friend before and it irritated me honestly. I hadn’t logged breakfast one morning and they gave me a, I’m sure very well intentioned, lengthy reminder that I shouldn’t skip breakfast and that it “concerned” them that I had. It was said in a somewhat nice/somewhat pushy way from how I received it (it was clear they thought it was an intentional effort on my part). What that user did not know is that I had an absolutely horrendous morning where I had to take one of my children to the hospital. I didn’t care that they had sent the comment very soon after I had some time to reflect on their good intentions but the moral of the story is that you have no idea what’s going on with some of these people. It’s great to encourage each other, give advice if it’s asked for, and not assume anything based on what you see in someone’s diary but we are mostly all adults here. If someone wants to log their bread without carbs then who does it really hurt? Probably not even them, I’m sure they are very aware bread has carbs. Lol.
  • Mom24_2021
    Mom24_2021 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personally, I'm fine with people reading and asking questions about my diary. I'm a distinctly sub-par MFP friend, but on some threads where people were asking about vegetarian eating, when it was appropriate, I'd tell them to friend me if they wanted to see what I eat to get protein or the like. (I've been veg for 47+ years.)

If someone criticizes what I eat, it will probably make me think not well of them, mostly (unless I think they're right!) . . . but it won't hurt my ego. Sadly, my ego is much stronger than being wounded by comments from random online strangers.

If/when you comment, it matters what you say and how you say it, IMO.

I'm completely open to "how did you prepare XYZ veggie" or "did you like those tofu noodles" or "what does that brand of ABC taste like" or whatever.

Want to tell me I shouldn't have the occasional over-goal-calorie day, drink some wine sometimes, eat something deep fried, be willing to eat 200G+ carbs daily? I'm going to be amused, maybe respond sarcastically. I try not to be truly mean to ignorant people, though, honestly. Sometimes I succeed.

I like this reply. This basically sums up how I feel but you probably worded it much better. Haha!
  • legblonde355
    legblonde355 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I check people’s diaries to get ideas on what foods to eat to mix it up a little. That said if someone unsolicited critiqued my eating depending on how well I know them and how it was delivered I’d probably delete them. Fortunately I’ve never had that experience.