Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - September Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    mkingraham (Megan)- Keep up the 15k training plan, complete my 10k on 9/24, make my workouts a priority even when I'm on the cruise, get into ONEderland
    meagalayne- Ice and stretch as needed and try to incorporate core and upper body work into your weekly routine; drink more H20 than you did in August; run on Sept 18th ONLY if your foot is healing/healed and if you are capable of doing so without risking further injury; continue not logging food and be good to yourself
    elksy- Run 5k three times a week, start logging faithfully, develop healthy attitudes towards food.
    abby459- lose 5lbs in September; run my first 5K, keep working out at least 5 days/week.
    jillybeanruns - Continue training for my marathon and train smart; keep up with PT exercises, stretch/do yoga, and ice; strength train a minimum of 2x a week; 96 oz of water minimum a day; work harder to get my net cals up on long run/high burn days;
    greenb trying to get back to 150 lbs. I'm currently 209; I've already lost 6.8 lbs. I also want to run a 5k and work out atleast 4x a week.
    GreenHumanClay continue Jogging 3xs/week, Drinking plenty of h20 64. oz. minimum, Continue practicing Bikram Yoga 3xs/week, more rest 7-8 hrs, not obsess over the scale, hiking or mt. biking 2-4 times per month and be nicer and loving to my self.
    cmg2008: continue to run at least 3 days a week, get into the low 130s, and try not to get stressed out over grad school =D
    imarunner8908-track at least 5 days a week, lose 10lbs (5 that I gained last month and 5 more)
    KanCrav~Loose my last pound.. stick with my strength training.. get back in the habit of working out at least 4times a week.
    lalonmeg000-drink 2 full nalgene bottles of water everyday! which means it has to come with me to class , only 2 meals out to eat a week, eat something for breakfast everyday
    GuamGrly~ (Bethany) - start and continue C25K training, 8 oz. of water per day, 60-90 minutes per week of additional exercise, eat out no more than 2 days per week, and lose 5 pounds this month. Going big or going home this month!!
    emmarie- exercise!!, get back to bootcamp, solid dinners, get the hang of my schedule, don't stress!
    lexgem - keep up with ripped in 30 and be able to do level 3 by the end of the month, lose 2 pounds, join a capoeira class
    lostalykat- Lose 5 pounds, strength train 2 times a week, start half-marathon training for fun and just focus on eating healthy tasty food.
    theperfectratio-get to 160, complete 30DS, work my way up to running 3 miles every few days on the treadmill (not necessarily on C25K though)

Thanks SO MUCH meagalayne! Grats on figuring out that oh-so-elusive 'intuitive eating' stuff...it's so much harder than it should be D:

On another note, I went from 162-ish to 163.3 on the scale today and it was rather demoralizing (my last 163.X weigh in was at the beginning of the month). I've been working out, but I guess I haven't been eating all that clean. ): On the upside, I can feel my muscles getting stronger & I've been extremely happy all week...I'm a naturally happy person but I think the regular exercise has made it even more pronounced. Now if only I could get that diet under control...(damn my addiction to carbs!! XD)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    theperfectratio - Our weight fluctuates quite a bit naturally, and if you've "upped" your weight training, it's very likely that you are retaining water in your muscles. Try to weigh-in the morning after your rest day to give your body time to mellow out a bit. It's a bit like playing mind games with yourself, but over time you will definitely see a steady decline in your weight. When I started MFP i weighed a146lbs and over the course of those 23lbs lost I've gained weight about 25% of the weeks I've been on here. It's just life! It can certainly be demoralizing, but at least you know you're doing things right!

Updating the list to add Kntu...

mkingraham (Megan)- Keep up the 15k training plan, complete my 10k on 9/24, make my workouts a priority even when I'm on the cruise, get into ONEderland
    meagalayne- Ice and stretch as needed and try to incorporate core and upper body work into your weekly routine; drink more H20 than you did in August; run on Sept 18th ONLY if your foot is healing/healed and if you are capable of doing so without risking further injury; continue not logging food and be good to yourself
    elksy- Run 5k three times a week, start logging faithfully, develop healthy attitudes towards food.
    abby459- lose 5lbs in September; run my first 5K, keep working out at least 5 days/week.
    jillybeanruns - Continue training for my marathon and train smart; keep up with PT exercises, stretch/do yoga, and ice; strength train a minimum of 2x a week; 96 oz of water minimum a day; work harder to get my net cals up on long run/high burn days;
    greenb trying to get back to 150 lbs. I'm currently 209; I've already lost 6.8 lbs. I also want to run a 5k and work out atleast 4x a week.
    GreenHumanClay continue Jogging 3xs/week, Drinking plenty of h20 64. oz. minimum, Continue practicing Bikram Yoga 3xs/week, more rest 7-8 hrs, not obsess over the scale, hiking or mt. biking 2-4 times per month and be nicer and loving to my self.
    cmg2008: continue to run at least 3 days a week, get into the low 130s, and try not to get stressed out over grad school =D
    imarunner8908-track at least 5 days a week, lose 10lbs (5 that I gained last month and 5 more)
    KanCrav~Loose my last pound.. stick with my strength training.. get back in the habit of working out at least 4times a week.
    lalonmeg000-drink 2 full nalgene bottles of water everyday! which means it has to come with me to class , only 2 meals out to eat a week, eat something for breakfast everyday
    GuamGrly~ (Bethany) - start and continue C25K training, 8 oz. of water per day, 60-90 minutes per week of additional exercise, eat out no more than 2 days per week, and lose 5 pounds this month. Going big or going home this month!!
    emmarie- exercise!!, get back to bootcamp, solid dinners, get the hang of my schedule, don't stress!
    lexgem - keep up with ripped in 30 and be able to do level 3 by the end of the month, lose 2 pounds, join a capoeira class
    lostalykat- Lose 5 pounds, strength train 2 times a week, start half-marathon training for fun and just focus on eating healthy tasty food.
    theperfectratio-get to 160, complete 30DS, work my way up to running 3 miles every few days on the treadmill (not necessarily on C25K though)
    Kntu- get to 140lbs, aqua jog 2x week and swim 1x week, and feel more confident/comfortable in high waisted jeans

AFM - Today at work was actually decent. Not too stressful and miserable. I was easy getting up, and slow to get ready, and then my day went by pretty well. Hit the grocery store after work and picked up some spinach, strawberries and beets (which I am very interested to experiment with!) and a few choc covered pretzels because I was CRAVING a treat and I'd been super good all day/week. Then I hit spin class, despite my better judgement. Did cyclefit for 25 mins before calling it quits - my hip was just wayyyy too sore for it. Sunday's race should be interesting :huh:

Two more days, ladies. Two days until I finally finish what I started ! It won't be pretty but it's getting done!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Welcome to all the new peeps!!

Meag That's awesome that you lost that amount of weight and that your intuitive eating turned out good! Hope yo get some rest and kick some *kitten* on Sunday, I'm sure when that is over you are going to be feeling awesome, I know i would!!!

AFM I have done great with my zig zagging and have lost about 2 lbs in two weeks which is awesome since I haven't lost that consistently for about a couple of months now, however today I did go over my calories even though it wasn't my day to go over and I ran out of days to go over but I honestly don't care, i hardly ever do it and the food was delicious. We had a BBQ @ work for one of my co-wokers (who happens to be my favorite one) last day of work :( I ate a veggie burger that included (spinach, basil, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese) with no condiments and a piece of Antelope it was awesome, and a little bit of everything else... I have been steadily exercising 5xs per week and switching it up. Going hiking with the BF tomorrow owning can't wait and then a delicious breakfast where I don't have to cook :) Going to try and have a low key weekend as much as I can even though I have a S**t load of reading to do, dog training, BBQ and errands, Life.... But i will enjoy it as much as I can and hope i can get some rest, have been really deprived on sleep with school now sucks so much but i will keep trying to get a better quality of sleep if i can't get quantity. Hope all you ladies have a great night and weekend, and Meag good luck missy!!! :flowerforyou:
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Morning not owning oops Getting sleepy excuse my typos!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Today is the day! I'm just finishing up my huge bowl of oats, strapping some bandages over my feet (wounds are still sore and haven't quite healed), drinking my coffee and then heading out the door...

Not anxious yet but I am getting excited. Still Doesn't feel "real". I guess it just feels like any other long run day, but I know once I see the start line and the packet pick-up, and all the other runners it will start to feel all too real. Then I might freak out a little :blushing: But it's finally here and I am sooooo ready to do it, love it, enjoy every freaking mile and FINISH. My hip and foot are far from 100% but I know I can do it. Just gotta stick with it, listen to my body, walk when needed, and keep myself in the right positive head space to make it the whole way.

I am so read to be a Half-Marathoner :bigsmile: Have a great day, everyone! :heart:
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Meag - - Good luck!!!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Holy man, I suck this month...well with keeping up with all of you! I used to do it at work, but I have no privacy anymore and don't have the time to sift through all these posts when I'm not at work. Marathon training is taking up considerably more time right now, I guess that's what happens when you're less than 7 weeks away:noway:

Was supposed to run 14 last week, but I wanted more...so I ran 16.29. This week I had 18 miles on tap, hit the 18 and decided I wanted to hit 3 hours of running time, so I ran another .35 miles. So 18.35 miles in 3 hours and 4 seconds (@9.49 Pace). I hope to run my marathon faster, but trying to take the long runs slow and been hauling *kitten* with my speedwork and kicking *kitten* with my hill workouts so that speed should come out on race day. I feel surprisingly good about this whole thing, it's been challenging with injury flare-ups and almost being told to quit running several times by my Physical Therapist and then the overtraining. But I am strong and I am resilient, and if that *kitten* didn't stop me, nothing will:drinker:

Still haven't weighed myself since June 24th. I suppose I can, but I don't really care. My core is seriously getting toned, my arms are too and my legs have some muscles that I have never, ever seen. The number on the scale doesn't matter to me. Clothes fit, and I'd rather be a strong, muscular runner than an emaciated-looking thin runner:happy:

Hope everyone enjoys what's left of your weekends:flowerforyou:
  • Kntu
    Kntu Posts: 24
    Options
    Wow, so much running!! Hope everything went okay! I kinda feel lazy next you guys!! Well this morning I stood on the scales and they read 140lb :noway: So I stood on them 3 more times. Then moved the scale and tried them there. And still they read 140lb. Can't believe it, though I have been netting pretty low and always do at the weekends coz of work. I'm just hoping this isn't a blip and tomorrow they'll be up back at 142lb. Eeek, so excited, I never shed weight that quick! Trying to be as pessimistic as possible to avoid disappointment. Still haven't changed my weight on MFP yet. I shall wait I few days to see if it stays the same...Also on the good news front, I went for a short jog the other day and my knees held up! They were pretty strapped up but still, I'm well chuffed :happy: Hope the week's started as positively for everyone else!!!
  • petiteerrant
    Options
    Starting weight: 143
    Current weight: 125.2

Goals for September: Eat a low-cal breakfast every morning, work out at the gym 5 - 6x a week, walk at least 3 miles everyday, reach 122 pounds by the end of the month (though I would love to break 120), and see definite toning in my abs, arms, and legs. :)

So far, so good on the goal front. I have another 3 pounds to lose by the end of September, and I'm not particularly sure that's going to happen, but it's worth a shot. As for toning in the abovementioned regions: I started BodyPump my first week in England, and it's already starting to pay off. I wish I had before and after shots, but I didn't want to be anywhere near a camera to even take before shots lol. So take my word for it: BodyPump = one great workout.
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Quick update:

Today started it off great jogged 4.75 miles with 4 of this miles jogged non-stop and did the hill by my house, which is basically steps leading to the top of the hill about 12 stories high or so pretty tough for me at least, drank all my h20, have been consistently losing weight Hooray lol. Bad day at work but it's over, making tomorrow better that's for sure. I did have a cupcake because i wanted it basically and it was delicious. overall okay day, hope you all had a better day than I did. Seems slow these past few days I'm sure everyones busy, hope we can all check in more this week including myself of course!! Good night Ladies kick some *kitten* tomorrow!:happy:
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm back!!! Hey Ladies!! I missed you all desparately but I think you will be proud to hear how well I managed while I was away on my cruise.

I got in 90% of my workouts, including running 5 miles without stopping, to help get me through I just imagined it was my efforts that was propelling the ship forward to our wonderful caribbean island. When it came to food, I only ate stuff that was AMAZING! So if I got something and it was just alright I didn't eat anymore of it. So when I weighed in after the cruise I am only up 1.2 lbs and I am sure that it is all water weight because I did not have nearly enough water.

So I already got back to my routine here with spin this morning and did some majorly delicious and healthy grocery shopping yesterday. I am not even going to attempt to catch up with you ladies response wise, but I will definitely see what I missed while I was gone! Keep up the amazing work and let's kick butt in the rest of september!
  • Shortyburb
    Shortyburb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had a successful Monday. I did my 40 minutes of cardio. Then I walked 2 miles to my grandmas for her birthday party :smile: Almost everyone in my family praised me for doing it. My cousin actually caught up with me on the way while riding her bike. Im so proud of her. She walks or rides her bike to work everyday pregnant!

Although my page says Ive only lost 2 pounds since the 15th I have actually lost 3.5. Im sure some of it has to do with TOM. However I have found something new. I read an article written by a nutritionist. It talked about how you need to pair you foods together so your blood sugar doesnt spike. Carbs arent necessarily bad for you. When you eat a carb you blood sugar spikes. When it does this your body goes into store fat mode. You need to pair your carbs with proteins. When you do this your blood sugar stays stable and you go into burn fat mode. So a couple examples are: If you want to eat an apple eat peanut butter with it. If you want pizza drink a glass of milk. If you want crackers eat some cheese with it. Its been working for me so far. I hope some of you will try it also. You can also look at my diary for ideas :wink:
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Late night post again, I had an okay day today decided to skip exercise which I usually do most Tuesdays and occasional Thursdays those are my "recovery days" since i get out of school at 9:30pm anyway. I REALLY want to go on a late night run. I don't live in a very dangerous area but lately there has been chaos too close to home. But I'd still like to go for a jog around 10pm, I know my BF will have a fit since he gets out of work later than that. Do any of you ladies run @ night, I really don't want to jog in the gym but I'm thinking a short run and I'll take my mace which I hope still works and my doggie. Other than that my goals have been met daily except for h20 intake but the night is not over.

mkingraham sounds like you got all your workouts in for the most part considering it's vacation, Great job! And 1.2 lbs is nothing if your holding on to water weight. Glad your back and getting into your routine again but sucks back to reality :ohwell: Which sometimes can be better lol...

shortyburb Thanks for the info. and btw that makes perfect sense I will try to incorporate both when having my carbs because I totally am a Carbie lol Not a word!!

Meag Jealous of your massage I sooo need/want one hope you enjoyed it and feel fabulous after wards.

Well ladies hope you all have a great night and an awesome Wednesday!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Good morning beauties! :bigsmile:

So sorry for being MIA lately but i have been absolutely run off my feet with life since the weekend. Trying to catch up, desperately, and get everything done but it seems like chores and responsibilities just keep piling up. I wish I could get a handle on it but I am definitely feeling overwhelmed. And lately it seems to be a matter of either working out or getting in quality MFP time, so you guys are falling to the wayside... :ohwell: Don't take it personally! But yea, the gym is wayyy cooler :glasses: haha JUST KIDDING! The reality is that once I get home and finally have a chance to get online I am just way too exhausted and cranky to be typing out a long response on here. It's easier for me in the morning when my mind is refreshed but these days my mornings have been very hectic as well.

Enough excuses! Onto the updates.

The 1/2 Marathon was splendid! I finished in 2:08:48, which given my injuries and my hiatus from training the past few weeks is pretty stellar. My goal was to be under 2:15:00, so I definitely kicked some *kitten* on that ! It actually felt really good to run and in the end I didn't feel overly exhausted. My body, on the other hand, felt like it had been beating with a sack of hammers from the hips down. My left foot and both hips were absolutely screaming, but I managed it and toughed out the last 7km like a champ despite my nagging joints. I am pretty proud of myself for finishing... :bigsmile: And considering a second go at it Oct 16th, but we will see!

Been eating out a LOT lately - almost every day, actually. But I always try to make the best choices available and I am back to logging now, so I am counting when I can. It's not ideal but at the moment it's the only way I can make like "work". I am not overly concerned about my weight. In fact, I'm not concerned at all. But I do want to be eating healthy, fresh food and to be hitting my macros everyday. Race day totally doesn't count :tongue: Just keepin' at it - one day at a time!

Greenhumanclay - Good choice on skipping the run. 10pm runs are dicey in the best of neighbourhoods, even with a headlamp. Safety is a first priority - both in terms of your physical safety and safety whilst running. You really do need to be able to clearly see where you are going to avoid injury. One misstep and you can really do some serious damage. Running in the dark is really not recommended without the proper gear. As for gym running at night, you can do it but cardio that late could interrupt your sleep patterns. I know i couldn't run that late at night and then get to bed before 12 o'clock, but it depends on you. Fit it in when you can, but make sure it's not to the detriment of what's important in life :happy:

Shorty - Very true about insulin spikes after eating carbs - your body is able to suck up protein and recovery a lot faster after a big workout if you consume carbs within 30-60 minutes or so. As for pairing foods, I think for general weight loss and healthy living, it's not overly crucial. What's important is hitting your targets, getting your macro nutrients in line, and really just fueling your body adequately to lose the weight and stay fit and healthy. If you are body building or really focused on your body composition and toning/bulking, then food pairing is something that can be adhered to a little more seriously. Otherwise i think you should just eat what you like within your goals and do the best you can to make choices that make you happy.

Megan - welcome back!!:drinker: We've missed you as well! Happy to hear you had a fabulous and very healthy trip - it sounds like you did everything right! Only eating fabulous food? CHECK! So worth it and you only live once, right? Very proud of your 5 mile run lady - that's a damnnn long way to go without resting so I am chuffed for ya! I love how "in the game" you are and already back on track - didn't miss a step. What a fabulous example you are setting for everyone. Love love love it! :happy:

petiteerrant - Good luck with BodyPump, whatever it is! Let us know how it goes and post those before/after pics! Come on! :tongue:

Kntu - We all go through ups and downs with our weight - It can fluctuate quite a bit! Don't get discouraged. Just keep putting in the effort and the weight will come off over time. Great job on the loss - Just enjoy it instead of dreading the potential gain this week! Hard work pays off!

Have a great HUMP day everyone - Much love! :heart:
  • Kntu
    Kntu Posts: 24
    Options
    Although my page says Ive only lost 2 pounds since the 15th I have actually lost 3.5. Im sure some of it has to do with TOM. However I have found something new. I read an article written by a nutritionist. It talked about how you need to pair you foods together so your blood sugar doesnt spike. Carbs arent necessarily bad for you. When you eat a carb you blood sugar spikes. When it does this your body goes into store fat mode. You need to pair your carbs with proteins. When you do this your blood sugar stays stable and you go into burn fat mode. So a couple examples are: If you want to eat an apple eat peanut butter with it. If you want pizza drink a glass of milk. If you want crackers eat some cheese with it. Its been working for me so far. I hope some of you will try it also. You can also look at my diary for ideas :wink:

oooo, this is interesting! I'm hypoglycemic so I try and avoid eating sugary stuff, especially by itself (doesn't always work that way, but gotta have treat every now and then :smile: ) Hadn't thought of carbohydrates though, might explain some things for sure. I'm definitely gonna give it a go!!
  • mkingraham
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone!

Getting back on track at work with everything that I missed I feel really out of the loop and it looks like my boss will be moving into a new position come November 1 which makes me really nervous because I really love my job and part of that is because of who my boss is. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a good person as her replacement and the environment won't change drastically.

3 miles was on tap today and I ran it just a little bit ago. Its been about a week since I last ran and quite a while since I ran outside so just to be able to feel alright about it was nice. I have a 10k on saturday so I will be doing my usual bootcamp tomorrow then a rest day on Friday. This will be my first time running this distance so I am a little nervous but I have been told that the first 5k is downhill and the second 5k is flat so I am hoping this holds true and I don't get completely destroyed by the course. I am sure that the adrenaline will help as well. Any ways just wanted to drop in and say hello! Keep up the great work!!
  • mkingraham
    Options
    wow... crickets in here... well I had bootcamp this morning and we did lifting which was good since I have my 10k race on Saturday. Tomorrow is rest day and weigh-in day, I jumped on the scale at home this morning and it is back to the lowest weight I had seen since before the cruise. So I am hoping that the number stays or even drops a little more when I get on the scale officially tomorrow. I am also excited to see how my fat mass has changed. It has been steadily dropping as I have been dropping the lbs which is great because I don't want to lose muscle mass. I will be checking back with you ladies to see what you guys are up to!

Megan
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Sorry I disappeared again peeps. My brother was killed in a motorcycle accident on the 10th so it has been a crazy week. Needless to say I totally fell off the wagon with eating and exercise but I think considering, I did pretty good. I honestly wasn't that hungry. I am trying to get back into a normal routine and focus on my eating and exercise to help distract me. I will be back when I have the time and energy but I wanted to let you know why I disappeared again.
  • mkingraham
    Options
    Aly- I am so sorry for your loss. <<HUGS>>. Hang in there and be with your family. We are here for you if you want/need it. :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Aly Im so sorry about your loss, take your time and may he rest in peace! :flowerforyou:

mkingranham Good luck with your race Saturday, hope you do well! :bigsmile:

Meag I ended up going for a very short run but decided it's not a very good idea for many reasons besides breaking a leg it could be much worse. Very true about working out late at night I end up having lots of energy and it's hard to be asleep by midnight. Thanks fir the heads up though, I had no idea there was head gear for night time running not that Im planning that soon anyway! :smile:

AFM I have been doing well, I had a nice workout yesterday, jogging and doing some weight training later in the evening. I have been meeting my goals except for the weighing in since I normally do but now started a new challenge and that is part of the challenge to lose 5% of our current weight. I have been getting more sleep and jogging consistently but need to really work on distance, during the week time restraints make it difficult so Saturday and Sundays are best for me to really challenge myself and by that I mean about .25 mile increase, baby steps for me. :smile: This weekend I plan on getting fitted for some real running shoes because with the weight lost my shoes feel loose, my heel hurts probably because of my form so I will see what they suggest I correct and because I really plan on making this jogging thing long term. I also want to buy more fresh fruit and veggies and try to make some new healthy recipes, so if you know of any or websites shoot them my way, Im open to anything!! Hope everyone has a fantastic day tomorrow!!