Measurements...

Options
Today I measured myself my the first time, and I was shocked with the numbers that I saw.
But I don't know whether I should be shocked or not, because I am not too sure what is normal :/

My neck was 14 inches.
My waist was 39 inches.
My hips were 43 inches.

These seem like fairly big numbers too me :(

Replies

• prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hun its not that bad... I'm the same round my hips but my waist is 33 inches. I'm like the ultimate pear shape.
    Trust me, measure again in a month and you'll be amazed. My weight hasn't dropped much but my inches are falling =]
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height. 43 inch hips look different on someone 5'11 v. 4'11. It's hard to say without knowing your height. But for health reasons you want your waist/hip ratio to go lower than what it currently is. I'm sure you can do it! Once the lbs start coming off it will readjust :)
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hun its not that bad... I'm the same round my hips but my waist is 33 inches. I'm like the ultimate pear shape.
    Trust me, measure again in a month and you'll be amazed. My weight hasn't dropped much but my inches are falling =]

Thank You <3
    It is just making me feel really anxious and upset :(
  • evelyngrice
    Options
    Depends on your height. 43 inch hips look different on someone 5'11 v. 4'11. It's hard to say without knowing your height. But for health reasons you want your waist/hip ratio to go lower than what it currently is. I'm sure you can do it! Once the lbs start coming off it will readjust :)

I am 5"5.
    What kind of ratio should I be aiming for?
  • prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Thank You <3
    It is just making me feel really anxious and upset :(

The first measure is always the scariest. But they get nicer, especially if you keep up the exercise xx
  • servilia
    Options
    Here's some info :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist–hip_ratio#Indicator_of_health

The WHR has been used as an indicator or measure of the health of a person, and the risk of developing serious health conditions. Research shows that people with "apple-shaped" bodies (with more weight around the waist) face more health risks than those with "pear-shaped" bodies who carry more weight around the hips.

WHR is used as a measurement of obesity, which in turn is a possible indicator of other more serious health conditions.

The National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) states that women with waist-to-hip ratios of more than 0.8 are at increased health risk because of their fat distribution. And that men with waist-to-hip ratios of more than 1.0 are at increased health risk because of their fat distribution.[4]

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that women with a ratio of .80 or less is considered safe. And that men with a ratio of .90 or less is considered safe.[5]

A WHR of 0.7 for women and 0.9 for men have been shown to correlate strongly with general health and fertility. Women within the 0.7 range have optimal levels of estrogen and are less susceptible to major diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disorders and ovarian cancers (tenuous).[6] Men with WHRs around 0.9, similarly, have been shown to be more healthy and fertile with less prostate cancer and testicular cancer.[7]

WHR has been found to be a more efficient predictor of mortality in older people than waist circumference or body mass index (BMI).[8] If obesity is redefined using WHR instead of BMI, the proportion of people categorized as at risk of heart attack worldwide increases threefold.[9] The body fat percentage is considered to be an even more accurate measure of relative weight. Of these three measurements, only the waist-hip ratio takes account of the differences in body structure. Hence, it is possible for two women to have vastly different body mass indices but the same waist-hip ratio, or to have the same body mass index but vastly different waist-hip ratios.

Even in ancient civilizations globally, female representations are most often in the 0.6-0.7 range for WHR, suggesting a preference towards lower WHR.[10]

Other studies have found that waist circumference, not WHR, to be a good indicator of cardiovascular risk factors,[11] body fat distribution,[12] and hypertension in type 2 diabetes.[13]
  • xinahay123
    Options
    Do not worry about what is average! Focus on being the best you that you can be!! I used to get (and still sometimes do), so caught up in numbers, I would drive myself nuts :frown: ! You are exactly the same girl you were before you measured you neck, waist and hips, so nothing has changed. Try to think of them as simply a jumping off point, a way to measure progress.

You are taking steps toward a healthier new you, focus on that and forget the rest!! :happy:

Good Luck!! You CAN DO THIS!!
  • ohskinnyme
    Options
    There should be between 8 and 12 inches between hips and waist. My waist is 25.5 on a good day and my hips are a good 37... That's a huge difference, but a ratio of around 0.7 is apparently the 'ideal' - not that there really is one. You are beautiful.
  • servilia
    Options
    Yes, you are beautiful! I just posted that info because of the health reasons they mentioned.
  • evelyngrice
    Options
    that information has really scared me because my mum has diabetes so I am already at a higher risk because it runs in our family :(
  • servilia
    Options
    uggh Now I feel so bad for posting it. Forget about the numbers, once you're following your new lifestyle and continue getting fitter, the numbers will take care of themselves!! You can do it :)