Vegetarian Protein Powder

Options
I would like to start supplementing my diet with some shakes and am not sure what vegetarian friendly protein powders I should try. I have been a vegetarian for over a year and haven't done shakes in that time so I could use some help! Suggestions?

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hemp powder. Not great tasting but I mix it with natural peanut butter and a banana and almond milk with a little vanilla extra. Not bad.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Hemp powder. Not great tasting but I mix it with natural peanut butter and a banana and almond milk with a little vanilla extra. Not bad.

Ditto.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Rice protein powder. I take Sunwarrier powder (chocolate!) every day and it tastes great!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    All protein powders are vegetarian. Some are soy based, some are egg white based, some are whey (milk) based, etc. There are lots of varieties, but none (that I know of) contain any meat products.

I like Bluebonnet soy protein powders.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    There's lots of varieties out there that are not whey like like hemp, soy, rice, pea, etc. If you do whey, then its tough to find organic/free roaming. The above poster mentioned Sunwarrior and I think they have an organic whey product as well.
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    Sequel- Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer in Berry flavour. Or Hemp protein. Both look like green sludge, lol, but are good for ya. The Vega one is sweet tasting!! You can get the sample pouches, try a variety out first. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There's lots of varieties out there that are not whey like like hemp, soy, rice, pea, etc. If you do whey, then its tough to find organic/free roaming. The above poster mentioned Sunwarrior and I think they have an organic whey product as well.

You can find plenty of organic whey protein options at a natural health food store.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's all vegetarian. If you were a vegan you'd be in trouble. I'm a vegetarian as well and have no trouble supplementing with protein shakes of any variety whether it be whey, soy, egg, etc. I find the brown rice protein NASTY though. And it's really grainy. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ok so keep away from the ones that say beef or something similar... Whey (which is the most common) is fine. Soy, eggs, etc are obvious.
  • mkupartist
    mkupartist Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I just ordered of of the Vega Health Optimizer online in the Vanilla Chai flavor. I got really excited after reading the label. That stuff is SO good for you!