Lo carb the way to go?

Options
I'm new to this and am having a hard time digesting (lol) this type of diet as it goes against all of my previous diets. Am 50 and have about 100 lbs to lose. One week into induction and am finally not starving and not eyeballing my families carbs. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Hi :) Glad to see you are on the path to get healthier!

I just wanted to let you know that low carb diets work for some people, and other diets work better for other people. Please do not think that low carb is the best or only diet out there. If you try it and it is very hard on you (no energy, bad moods) then feel free to try something different, too.

I just wanted to input that I've seen many successes with folks eating very balanced days (probably 40% calories from carbs, 30% cals from fats, 30% cals from proteins), drinking lots of water (8-10 cups each day), and making sure to work their bodies in some way, be it exercise dvds, bike riding, walking, jogging, water sports, anything you enjoy.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Low carb is kind of a loaded term. There's lots of ways to go low carb. Personally, it doesn't work for me. I love carbs too much, and I wouldn't be able to sustain it. I think I'm better learning how to eat sustainably, but that's just me. I'm losing weight eating roughly equal amounts of carbs and proteins (25% of cals coming from fats).
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Cutting the carbs works, but it has to be a lifestyle, not a short-term solution. In my case, there was a reason why I gained weight -- going back to eating all those carbs means that the weight just comes back on. There are no easy answers once you get past 40.

My opinion.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    LOL been there done that... the key is just looking at the scale after you get into the groove really good... the weight will fall off pretty quickly... I did the Adkins for 6 months and lost 35 pounds rather quickly but I did find it difficult to maintain as a lifestyle. I have managed to not put back in all the carbs I use to eat and those that I do eat are either complex or low carb and even those are in moderation. Good Diet, Good Results... just keep your goal in sight and you will get there... and after the two weeks you will find you crave the carbs less and less.

P.S. My results now are achieved through exercise, portion control and eating a balanced diet. Just remember, do what works best.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I actually took carbs off of the stuff I'm monitoring. I care not about carbs. That said, I don't really carb out that often. I don't crave them and it's rare that I was going over my carbs which is part of why I dropped it for something else on the nutrition chart.

Other folks I know are very low carb and can see an impact when they carb out.
  • beaversprings
    Options
    Have been doing lo carb for 11 weeks now. Started with 120 to lose and have lost over 40. I do a very lo carb calorie ratio of 10% carb/45% protein/45% fat (remember that fat calories per gram are almost double protein calories per gram). You can track this by modifying your goals manually. Otherwise, this site will automatically follow the traditional high carb/lo fat program. Also, make sure you exercise. Even just a 30 minute walk (walking dog speed) per day is greatly beneficial to getting your metabolism to speed up. Hang in there and best wishes!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am a long time low carber and have had much success. It has to be a way of life and that even means if you must go to the hospital for any reason that you tell them that you have to have low carb, moderate protein for health reasons or you will gain the weight back..............

I love being able to eat rich and decadent meals and still lose weight. I am so glad to put the low fat, yucky tasting stuff in my rear view mirror and say toodles to it.

I also love not having to count calories, but have learned about my body to intuitively eat.

I am very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb. That is what works best for me for now. Once I am at goal, I will adjust the ratios a bit.
  • sarahthegreat1
    Options
    Wow! I'm thrilled that someone (actually 8) answered it's great to hear from you all. I'm becoming addicted to this site I'm way over Facebook but this is great. I think I'll give it more time and apply some of your advice. I'm so tired of losing the same 20 pounds over and over. I've been exercising in small amounts and have almost met my goal for the week. We are having a biggest loser contest at work, $50 to join if you lose 10 percent of your body weight in three months they return $40 of what you chipped in. If not the proceeds will go to some i hope nonfood event for the group members. I thought it was a really good idea, my own money back before Christmas will come in handy. All The other $10 goes to the biggest loser. I reluctantly joined but am feeding off everyone's enthusiasm from this site. Thanks! I think I'm off to scrap the topping off the pizza my kids are eating! Have a great evening : )
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm thrilled that someone (actually 8) answered it's great to hear from you all. I'm becoming addicted to this site I'm way over Facebook but this is great. I think I'll give it more time and apply some of your advice. I'm so tired of losing the same 20 pounds over and over. I've been exercising in small amounts and have almost met my goal for the week. We are having a biggest loser contest at work, $50 to join if you lose 10 percent of your body weight in three months they return $40 of what you chipped in. If not the proceeds will go to some i hope nonfood event for the group members. I thought it was a really good idea, my own money back before Christmas will come in handy. All The other $10 goes to the biggest loser. I reluctantly joined but am feeding off everyone's enthusiasm from this site. Thanks! I think I'm off to scrap the topping off the pizza my kids are eating! Have a great evening : )

That is what I do sometimes when my husband wants pizza.....................Salad and pizza toppings is GREAT!!!
  • sarahthegreat1
    Options
    Interesting combo. I hear what you r saying, find a happy combo that works for you. That's thinking outside the box, I like that!
  • sarahthegreat1
    Options
    Just the way you described your food (i.e. Rich and decadent) Made me lol. Fellow foodie and proven warrior of lo carb! I heard you and appreciate your input.
  • sarahthegreat1
    Options
    You go! Great job!!!!
  • sarahthegreat1
    Options
    Thanks!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    For me it is. I've made it a lifestyle change mainly due to my illness. I can no longer eat gluten and doing this makes it much easier to stay well. I've been fairly successful losing the weight DESPITE having Celiac disease and Hypothryoidism. It was a hard change at first, but by making changes little by little I was able to do it. One of the best things to do is to GET RID of all the stuff in your house that are temptations. Choose a list of things you are going to no longer eat and cut them out one by one. I find that if I do everything at once I feel REALLY deprived and I go back to my old bad ways. By doing it one at a time I've been way more successful. I couldn't tell you the last time I had fruit juice or pasta. And to tell you the truth, I don't miss them. Candy I still miss, but I rationalize it by telling myself I can have a nectarine for 60 calories, why would I waste 280 on a Snickers?! I find that many of the recipes for South Beach work well for us.

Good luck!