Learning Disabilities

Options
jalara
jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
Hey all - this is the largest online group I could think to ask.

I'm a nursing student and due to some changes in Canadian copyright laws we can no longer print the lecture powerpoint presentations before class. Instead we have to write everything down and pay attention.

For the first time in my life I am finding this very hard to do. it seems that I can either read, write or listen. If I'm writing down the notes I'm not reading them, just copying them. If I listen I can't take down notes or read.

I don't remember having the issue in high school (I went back to school 10 years later to become a nurse), but it's causing me some problems.

I thought I had solved the issue by getting an audio recorder and just focusing on the note-taking but the school and I are fighting over the recorder (apparently it has come up before and they don't allow recorders).

I'm meeting with some people in about a week and half to see hwat I can about this, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out if this is a type of learning disability, but I can't find literature that describes this issue.

Does anyone have insight on this?

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, it would possibly fall under the dyslexia umbrella but if you never had a problem before then maybe you're just out of practise on multitasking this sort of thing. I cannot see why the school would have a problem with a recorder...there have got to be people with dyslexia that need these things

Contact a dyslexia group/association and ask advice there...if there is some specific name they will know it and having a name of what your problem might be would carry weight with the school...or should do
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I couldn't say exactly, but most colleges have both a disability learning center and some type of tutoring department for writing, communication, etc.

If you haven't already, contact the disability learning center. Also, check with the writing or comm department, as they may have tips on things you can try (they deal with a lot of issues like that - I used to work in one.)
  • shele75
    Options
    All students with learning disabilities are allowed reasonable accomodations in college and you would be entitled to that. Having them check sensory motor processing would not hurt. Best of luck!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    not sure but i have slight dyslexia and a reading disability been getting help with it all through school and now that i am out of school i do much better so tutoring and stuff can help. When i was in college they have a place to get help for reading disabilities and stuff to help you get organized and stuff. My IEP said i can get help in school and i was allotted more time then others on tests and stuff due to what my disability is.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As a teacher in America, I don't know the specific laws about colleges there but I can speak to the American laws. If you are DIAGNOSED with a learning disability, they have to make reasonable accomodations for you. Now, if it is a law that they may not provide the PPT for you, then that would be out of the question. However, allowing you to tape record wouldn't be unreasonable to me. Of course, again, you must be diagnosed. As a teacher, I have never quite understood why other teachers don't make a reasonable effort to allow all students to be successful, but I can imagine they don't want others to take advantage of it. If it is a true issue, I would speak with your primary physician. There are MANY different diagnoses that could be causing the issue.