Need advice: Prepping salads for the week

I work from home so luckily making fresh salads isn’t too big a deal. Some days though, I get really busy, especially when my 3 y/o is wanting more of my time, so I’d love to be able to dump and go with my salads.

I usually eat pretty large salads for lunch - 2 cups of spring mix, one small honeycrisp apple, 1/4 of a cucumber, 3-4 strawberries, some chicken pieces (homemade, kept in freezer), reduced fat feta and some craisins and pepitas if I’m feeling extra. Oh and light vinaigrette for dressing.

I eat a salad every day usually, so it’d be nice if I could just chop, weigh and assemble once a week.

Do you think the mason jar method would work for this type of salad? I am worried because of the “wet” fruits. I’d appreciate any tips to make my daily routine just a little bit easier :smile: thanks!!

Replies

• Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Fruit like apples and strawberries are not the best to prepare ahead of time - I have found they don't keep well.
    Maybe prepare everything else you like in your salad in something airtight and cut the fruit that will spoil on the day.
    I have read somewhere that storing things in water in the fridge helps - but I tried this with avocado and it turned to mush 😐
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Prep everything that can be prepped in advance, and then you only have a few things to add.
    I prep shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped broccoli, cauliflower, sliced bell peppers, celery, and green onions, and that lasts in the fridge for 3-4 days. I just grab a huge handful and throw it on top of greens, rice, noodles, whatever, and then add the more delicate produce like avocado, or tomatoes.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    I put a dry paper towel in my salad/lettuce containers to absorb the water. Change it out as needed. Things last much longer!
  • You can chop your apple ahead of time if you toss it in some diluted lemon juice. The citric acid keeps the fruit from browning. You can also buy a powder called Fruit Fresh that is just powdered citric acid, but I always found the lemon juice worked just as well for a smaller quantity, and it gives the salad a little underlying brightness.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Throwing this out there only bc I had an epiphany for myself recently, that in the winter months, I don’t want salad. I want vegetables, but I want them hot.

If this resonates with you, and it may not, have you thought of packing various roasted vegetables that you could microwave? You can easily add a protein. In the winter I even like frozen cauliflower and broccoli with cheese sauce that I can microwave and is only maybe 150 calories for a lot of volume and cheese sauce!

• southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions/tips/tricks. I think I’m going to test it out this week. Just gonna bite the bullet and make 4-5 salad jars and try it out. I could just make one and save it for Friday but I’m all or nothing 😅 (one of my troublesome traits haha)

Also, I’m doing a little research I read that soaking your apples in CLUB SODA works even better than the lemon juice or salted water trick so I’m gonna try that!!

Will let you know how it all goes :)
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Some people do what is called 'buffet' meal prep in that they prepare the entire components of a meal and only actually put the meal together once they are ready to eat. In your case, you could prepare your salad mix, your cucumber, your chicken, your pepitas and craisins, and your strawberries (each separately) and then just 'throw' together your salad by grabbing the amount that you want for each when ready to eat.