Lets talk popcorn

suggestions on best low calorie microwave popcorn

Replies

• TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    I pop mine dry in the microwave. About as low calorie as it gets.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2022
    Jolly Time 100's are the most convenient at low calories. 10 bags for $3.12.

Stove top popper with Pam is the lowest calorie method not tasting like cardboard. You have to have nut (powdered) salt to really have a good result.
  • AngWBald
    AngWBald Posts: 59 Member
    It's best not to eat popcorn. It's high in carbs, and so easy to eat more than a serving. I know it's hard to say no to popcorn. I love it myself. As soon as I stopped eating popcorn and other high carbs my weight started going negative.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    AngWBald wrote: »
    It's best not to eat popcorn. It's high in carbs, and so easy to eat more than a serving. I know it's hard to say no to popcorn. I love it myself. As soon as I stoppegd eating popcorn and other high carbs my weight started going negative.

Weird. I lost a whole bunch of weight while eating popcorn. It's a good volume food and has fiber.

OP, I used to buy the orville redenbacher 100 calorie bags of kettle corn. I always liked the portion control but I've also just popped the normal orville reddenbacher kernels in various microwave popcorn poppers and still kept it portion controlled and around 100 calories by weighing the kernels first.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    I have a silicone microwave popcorn maker (about $10 on Amazon): 1 lid full (large Reddenbacher jar-5.7lb), 1/2 capfull of sunflower/avocado oil (I get it at Ross) and 1/2 tsp salt= a very satisfying 5 cups of popcorn for less than 200 calories
  • TX_375
    TX_375 Posts: 15 Member
    We just pour a 1/4 cup into a brown paper bag and roll the top shut. No added fats or oil needed to pop it.
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Butter flavored popcorn contains a chemical known to cause lung issues, diacetyl.
    I guess plain popcorn isn't terrible.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    We have a Nordic wear microwave popcorn popper that we use from time to time. It's far less expensive to use than buying the bags plus you can add oil to it or not as desired. It's a little easier to calculate calories and you don't have to worry about other additives. Lately we use a really old air popper that works better than any microwave option in terms of kernels popped.

Air popcorn poppers are relatively cheap and pop up a batch of popcorn as fast as a microwave.
  • TX_375
    Xerogs wrote: »
    We have a Nordic wear microwave popcorn popper that we use from time to time. It's far less expensive to use than buying the bags plus you can add oil to it or not as desired. It's a little easier to calculate calories and you don't have to worry about other additives. Lately we use a really old air popper that works better than any microwave option in terms of kernels popped.

Air popcorn poppers are relatively cheap and pop up a batch of popcorn as fast as a microwave.

I get 50 bags for $1.50, (600 bags for the price of the Nordic wear popper) and after I pop corn in it I use it for vegetable scraps and toss the whole thing into the compost. And I don't microwave anything in plastic, ever.

If you're like me the last thing I want is another gadget taking up space in my kitchen. Hence the paper bags.
  • lhansen1935
    lhansen1935 Posts: 2 Member
    Be careful with popcorn if you have diverticulosis. Those small popcorn husks that you pick out of your teeth are non-soluble and a major cause of diverticulitis (diverticula infection), colon abscess and colon perforation. Perforated colon is serious and can lead to possible sepsis, or possibly an ostomy bag.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited January 2022
    TX_375 wrote: »

I get 50 bags for $1.50, (600 bags for the price of the Nordic wear popper) and after I pop corn in it I use it for vegetable scraps and toss the whole thing into the compost. And I don't microwave anything in plastic, ever.

If you're like me the last thing I want is another gadget taking up space in my kitchen. Hence the paper bags.

I get what you are saying and I realize not everyone has room for an extra gadget. My suggestions were just a couple of options out of a myriad of options. If you are worried about outgassing in a microwave I would really look at how your paper bags are manufactured and what the pulp and glues might contain, some bags are better than others. Composting them does give back to the environment so its a plus.
    Be careful with popcorn if you have diverticulosis. Those small popcorn husks that you pick out of your teeth are non-soluble and a major cause of diverticulitis (diverticula infection), colon abscess and colon perforation. Perforated colon is serious and can lead to possible sepsis, or possibly an ostomy bag.

This is something to definitely keep in mind my Mom has to watch out for this since her last colonoscopy came back with diverticulosis.
  • TX_375
    edited January 2022
    TX_375 wrote: »

I get what you are saying and I realize not everyone has room for an extra gadget. My suggestions were just a couple of options out of a myriad of options. If you are worried about outgassing in a microwave I would really look at how your paper bags are manufactured and what the pulp and glues might contain, some bags are better than others. Composting them does give back to the environment so its a plus.

This is something to definitely keep in mind my Mom has to watch out for this since her last colonoscopy came back with diverticulosis.

Gadgets are a sensitive subject for me right now… just spent two days cleaning out my pantry and cabinets 😂
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop popcorn. 100 calories a bag and the bag is a solid size. Haven't found anything that comes close volume/calorie wise.
  • Memyselfandi59
    Memyselfandi59 Posts: 43 Member
    I use my microwave, so there is no oil. But you just have to try it with olive oil sprinkled on it with a bit of salt and nutritional yeast. Delicious!
  • wilson10102018
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop popcorn. 100 calories a bag and the bag is a solid size. Haven't found anything that comes close volume/calorie wise.

I think you might like Jolly Time 100's. I have both and think the Jolly Time pops to a greater volume even though the weight is the same so the kernels are bigger. Also a little cheaper. But, Orville is good too and better in bulk kernels for the stovetop.

I eat a lot of popcorn. Almost every day/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't really do microwave popcorn. We usually pop in a saucepan or occasionally the air popper. My wife just bought me some awesome gourmet varieties for my Christmas stocking.
  • AngWBald
    AngWBald Posts: 59 Member
    It's best not to eat popcorn. It's high in carbs, and so easy to eat more than a serving. I know it's hard to say no to popcorn. I love it myself. As soon as I stopped eating popcorn and other high carbs my weight started going negative.

Yes, I'm commenting on my own post reply. I've seen how many clicked Disagree with my comment. I was actually looking forward to it and expecting it!

I've been doing the Low Carb/High Fat way of eating for close to two years. I've lost weight and for the most part has kept it off with some slip ups. Those slip ups have always been when I failed to count my carbs, calories, and sugar. I like Pop Corn and I will eat it on occasions. Do you think I would pass up on Popcorn at the Movies?

I used to only count my calories. At first I did lose weight. I portioned controlled everything I ate. But at the end of the day I was HANGRY, because I was on a Low Fat/High Carb diet. I had already eaten my calories for the day and I was still hungry.

It took me a few years to research this on my own, but once I started this diet I recognize that the Low Carb/High Fat diet worked. Even when I slip up I know what works for me and I can get back into it quickly.

I recognize that this diet has gotten a lot of criticism. I understand that. It took me awhile to get used to the idea of eating this way.

It's coming!! More and more people are discovering this is the best way to lose weight, and believe it or not, some people have reversed their diabetes. You don't believe me, then look it up yourself. Google search LC/HF. Go to Youtube and watch videos on this subject.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to all the people who disagreed with my comment.

What might happen is this Reply Post might get deleted. I'm not here to judge anyone who eats popcorn. I love popcorn and miss it very much. But I don't miss the carbs. I'm only giving advice. You can take it or leave it. Yes, there is more than one way to lose weight. Pick any route you wish.
  • wilson10102018

Yes, I'm commenting on my own post reply. I've seen how many clicked Disagree with my comment. I was actually looking forward to it and expecting it!

I've been doing the Low Carb/High Fat way of eating for close to two years. I've lost weight and for the most part has kept it off with some slip ups. Those slip ups have always been when I failed to count my carbs, calories, and sugar. I like Pop Corn and I will eat it on occasions. Do you think I would pass up on Popcorn at the Movies?

I used to only count my calories. At first I did lose weight. I portioned controlled everything I ate. But at the end of the day I was HANGRY, because I was on a Low Fat/High Carb diet. I had already eaten my calories for the day and I was still hungry.

It took me a few years to research this on my own, but once I started this diet I recognize that the Low Carb/High Fat diet worked. Even when I slip up I know what works for me and I can get back into it quickly.

I recognize that this diet has gotten a lot of criticism. I understand that. It took me awhile to get used to the idea of eating this way.

It's coming!! More and more people are discovering this is the best way to lose weight, and believe it or not, some people have reversed their diabetes. You don't believe me, then look it up yourself. Google search LC/HF. Go to Youtube and watch videos on this subject.

What might happen is this Reply Post might get deleted. I'm not here to judge anyone who eats popcorn. I love popcorn and miss it very much. But I don't miss the carbs. I'm only giving advice. You can take it or leave it. Yes, there is more than one way to lose weight. Pick any route you wish.

I just ignore flaky stuff like your post but now that you mention it, I should have disagreed.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member

It's fine low carb works for you but you basically stated it as fact for everyone. "It's best not to eat carbs." Screw that.

You were also low key trolling.
  • TX_375

Any time you significantly reduce the intake of a macronutrient, you're limiting calories. And that's why the weight comes off. There isn't a shred of credible evidence anywhere that carbs make you fat.

People can be "carb intolerant", but that's a far more rare subset of people than you might think given the number of people who limit carbs (calories), see improvement, and attribute the loss to lack of carbs alone.