Will this break my fast?

Options
Hello there :) I just recently started Keto and I drink this in the morning. I wasn’t sure if it was considered to break my fast. I’ve heard multiple views but most say if under 50 calories then you should be fine. It’s a drink with chia seeds in it. ep0qb71s7y0c.jpeg
hb3izjgr3dlo.jpeg

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you're doing both keto and IF?

Whether or not it will break your fast will depend on what information about fasting you choose to believe.

I personally follow Gin Stephens approach (resource book: Fast, Feast, Repeat), which is that all food or food-like substances break the fast. So even zero calorie sweeteners, and some preservatives like citric acid.

Other IF approaches say that all sorts of things are allowed while fasting. I personally had terrible hunger while fasting when following those methods, and have a really easy time following Gin's method of drinking nothing but plain black tea and water while fasting.

All you can do is try things and see what works for your body.
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do know I do not have to fast when I do Keto and vice versa. I was simply asking if this would break my fast. I only said keto so the details would be there
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What was the answer to the what are you trying to get from fasting question?
    My reasons for (mostly) not eating in the morning could well be very different to yours.

There isn't a governing body or single set of rules for fasting and so there isn't a simple yes/no answer.
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My reasons for (mostly) not eating in the morning could well be very different to yours.

There isn't a governing body or single set of rules for fasting and so there isn't a simple yes/no answer.

It started off as I didn't want to eat past 6/630 (multiple reasons including I have acid reflux and to stop calorie consumption at that time). I don't generally wake up starving so I almost naturally can fast. I think that it will help my metabolism (my overall goal is to lose weight).
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Your fasting doesn't raise your metabolism (that's just a myth) but I'm not seeing any reason for you to have these minimal calories whenever they best fit in your day.
    No reason to make dieting any harder or more restrictive than it has to be.
    jniece55 wrote: »

It started off as I didn't want to eat past 6/630 (multiple reasons including I have acid reflux and to stop calorie consumption at that time). I don't generally wake up starving so I almost naturally can fast. I think that it will help my metabolism (my overall goal is to lose weight).

Your fasting doesn't raise your metabolism. That's just a myth put about by fasting gurus trying to jazz up fasting and make it seem more special.
    I'm not seeing any reason for you to have these minimal calories whenever they best fit in your day.
    No point in making dieting any harder or more restrictive than it has to be.

(I didn't put the disagree on your post BTW.)

There's actually very limited research when it comes to fasting, so it's more accurate to say that any claims made by fasting gurus are unproven and unprovable.

My personal experience though is that my metabolism was shot, and IF definitely helped get it back on track. I was eating 3 meals a day and tracking carefully and barely losing weight at a very restricted calorie level.

Then I started IF and very quickly had noticeably more energy, and was able to eat more calories and lose weight at a rate that was far more normal for me, like I had in the past. No change in diet except that I added a few hundred calories in bread and butter. For the first 6 months of the year I was losing 0.5lbs/mo if I was lucky, and in the second half of the year I was losing 2-3lbs/mo.

So my example of 1 is that IF definitelt helped repair my damaged metabolism. Would it do that for everyone? Probably not, mine was very slow and sluggish for several reasons. If someone already has a normal metabolism, perhaps it would make no difference.

But the truth is that the research is so limited, it's really impossible to make any conclusions. I personally didn't expect anything from IF, I did it because my neurologist recommended it for nerve pain. Ironically, it has done absolutely nothing for me on that front, but I'm pretty thrilled for my back-to-nornal energy levels and much, MUCH easier weight loss.

How bodies react is highly individual. Even to well researched medical treatments. It's hard to say what one body will do in reaction to anything.

That's why diets are so incredibly difficult to research and make concrete claims about.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're absorbing calories, you're breaking your fast. Fast means, no calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It can also mean nothing passing your lips whatsoever.

But I agree it's not a fast if you're ingesting calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you're absorbing calories, you're breaking your fast. Fast means, no calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The definition of fasting is far wider than that, online dictionaries are available......
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The definition of fasting is far wider than that, online dictionaries are available......
    But in relation to the OP, I think it's fair to say that if calories are ingested, the fast was broken.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you seriously fasting, why you d ingest calories? you will have your feast day coming soon, salt and then you enjoy that healthy drink. Have pure tea, water sparkling water 0cal black coffee.